Battle of the 1.44 Floppy Drives

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

Maybe you can help me with this question... Are there any brands of 1.44 floppy drives you find more reliable than the others? Any to avoid?

Thanks much,
DuckTape

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I have a generic 1.44 floppy that has served me faithfully for 3 years, no problems so far.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
After years of testing and much thought, I look for the cheapest drive I can find, in the color I want, and hope I find a return version in the marked down bin. Without a doubt, this is the best floppy.

In case you didn't catch it, they are a throw away item. Don't but much thought into it.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
A floppy drive comes in two flavors (chocolate/vanilla). One holds a full scoop, and the other holds a scoop & half. Although, these days the chocolate full scoop is very difficult to find. So, I hope you like vanilla. :smile:

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
A floopy drive is a disk shooter.
1) Insert disk into drive.
2) Aim floopy drive
3) Press the eject button and watch disk fly.

<i>It is not illegal until you get caught! :wink: </i>

Sisko

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2002
I have TEAc, and it works just fine, but i've pushed it deeper and closed the bay because i don't use it at all (i have CD recorder).
I'm currently using Win98 and i've heard that Windows work slower if there is no FDD installed!
Is it true?
Because i really don't need it anymore, and i was thinking that one extra 3.5 inch bay could come in handy (for mounting fan).
What can you tell me about it? Does it really matter if i have FDD installed or not?
What is the situation with Win2k and XP?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the best floppy drive is the cheapest one (prisewise)

<b><A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2932776" target="_new">P4 + DDR333</A>=<font color=blue>OK</font color=blue></b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've used many floppies, and they all seem to be about the same.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have a floppy on my Win2000 system, and it doesn't affect it at all. However, if I disable the FDD interface (to free up resources) Windows blue screens.

- JW

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Lol! once or twice a year!
This might sound a little retarded and maybe it is, but what do you do?
I usually download programs and stuff where I work, I do this because I don´t have internet at home.
To get all the stuff from work to home, I make use of the good ol´ floppy´s.
For a period of time I was using like 40 floppy´s every day during almost 2 weeks.
I zipped large files using disk spanning in Winzip and when I got home I unzipped it.
You really must be patient, most of the times something goes wrong.
For example when you insert disk 39 out of 40 it reports some fault and all stuff you previously zipped is wasted.
Makes you somewhat angry.
Oh well, Never give up.

Btw, I can´t use zip disks either...the people who are working here are to curious and nosy (except me ofcourse) :smile:

Nuke you, Nuke me, Nuke it together, naturally.