Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Adaptive vsync, screen tearing worse

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2013 8:50:20 AM

Hello all, i want to ask about nvidia adaptive vsync. Two days ago i bought Zotac GTX 660. My resolution kinda low, its 1366x768 (planned to upgrade in one or two months) so my gtx 660 should give great performance with that resolution. Today i play Ghost Recon Future Soldier and enable adaptive vsync via nvidia settings and turn off the game vsync setting. I use fraps and it shown the fps constant at 63 fps but the tearing still happen and it worse than turn off vsync without activate adaptive vsync. Pretty sad :(  because one of my reason bought nvidia cards are adaptive vsync. If i knew this i will take 7870 instead :( 
January 28, 2013 8:54:30 AM

Does this happen in all games?

Future soldier is awfully coded and runs like a dog.
a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2013 8:55:17 AM

Well what I would recommend doing is doing it program specific through the Nvidia control panel and setting it on to adaptive. Also one thing you could do is turn up the graphics setting a little higher if you haven't already I would imagine that a GTX660 wouldn't have a hard time maxing that game out. Also, something else to take into consider does this occur in any other game that you have? I don't think its a issue of nvidia and amd here its just a matter of perhaps overpowering the game and your screen's refresh rate not meeting up with the graphics card. Here are the system requirements.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=735&gam...
Related resources
January 28, 2013 8:56:22 AM

When you enabled adaptive vsync did you force it on for all programs? I don't have an nvidia card so I'm not sure how it works, but with CCC I can change settings for individual games or globally.
a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2013 8:58:13 AM

It's setup the same with the Nvidia control panel you can set it for both. And I think you have a typo you meant Nvidia.
January 28, 2013 9:00:35 AM

darth pravus said:
Does this happen in all games?

Future soldier is awfully coded and runs like a dog.

Will try to install other games. Will report later :) 
January 28, 2013 9:02:59 AM

wanderer11 said:
When you enabled adaptive vsync did you force it on for all programs? I don't have an nvidia card so I'm not sure how it works, but with CCC I can change settings for individual games or globally.

I set adaptive vsync on, it should work to all 3d application i think :??: 
January 28, 2013 9:05:54 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Well what I would recommend doing is doing it program specific through the Nvidia control panel and setting it on to adaptive. Also one thing you could do is turn up the graphics setting a little higher if you haven't already I would imagine that a GTX660 wouldn't have a hard time maxing that game out. Also, something else to take into consider does this occur in any other game that you have? I don't think its a issue of nvidia and amd here its just a matter of perhaps overpowering the game and your screen's refresh rate not meeting up with the graphics card. Here are the system requirements.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=735&gam...

Set all to max :( . Any other hints? Maybe the way i activate adaptive vsync is wrong :(  ?
a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2013 9:07:26 AM

Well I don't set it up as a global setting I go through and set it individually because some things just don't need it like your browser or if you are watching a movie, listening to music.
January 29, 2013 11:35:33 PM

Sorry for late response, need to finish that Ghost Recon first :D . I tried with Dirt 3 and Far Cry 3 using adaptive vsync. Dirt 3 looks good, didn't has screen tearing with adaptive vsync. Far Cry 3 still has screen tearing, but not too bad like Ghost Recon (maybe because Far Cry 3 a lot demanding game over Ghost Recon..). Anyone have this issue before? :( 
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2013 11:52:46 PM

Would you by chance know what driver you are running just to be sure. The latest driver is 310.90 WHQL.
January 30, 2013 12:30:12 AM

yes, i'm using 310.90. Using normal vsync seems waay more better. But the sync working, it cap game fps to 60 but screen tearing still happen. Are this only happen with me :( ?
a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2013 12:51:00 AM

Well essentially they are the same thing I'm not sure you know what the difference between the 2 are so I'll explain it.

Adaptive Vsync: Will only turn on vsync when you get to max refresh rate of your monitor for most its 60hz which is also the amount of frames your computer will be fine dealing with on a regular basis which is 60 if you have a 120hz monitor then it would be 120FPS.
So it turns on then when it goes below the refresh rate turns off.

Vsync: Vsync will kick in when you go over your refresh rate however it will stay on and it will continue to low your frames till your screen can catch up.
January 30, 2013 3:21:18 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Well essentially they are the same thing I'm not sure you know what the difference between the 2 are so I'll explain it.

Adaptive Vsync: Will only turn on vsync when you get to max refresh rate of your monitor for most its 60hz which is also the amount of frames your computer will be fine dealing with on a regular basis which is 60 if you have a 120hz monitor then it would be 120FPS.
So it turns on then when it goes below the refresh rate turns off.

Vsync: Vsync will kick in when you go over your refresh rate however it will stay on and it will continue to low your frames till your screen can catch up.

But from my experiences, sometimes when game graphic become very heavy to render my fps just drop to 40-50fps and rise up when i pass the heavy render things. Adaptive vsync behave like that too (but still leave screen tearing). Maybe i personally just don't nottice the difference beetwen adaptive vsync and normal vsync. And maybe this just happen to me. Try to fresh install my Windows when the new SSD arrive, will look if this issue resolve :) 
January 30, 2013 3:23:10 AM

bishopi5 said:
its your monitor.

lol, :lol:  ,and why it don't give me screen tear in normal vsync
a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2013 3:28:49 AM

The big selling point with adaptive is more or less that you don't see such a huge frame drop because unlike vsync it wont keep lowering the frames till your monitor catches up. Woot for SSD tech I love my SSD I have a Samsung 830 256GB.

a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2013 3:29:34 AM

It may not give you tearing in normal vsync because you have to go to a lower frame to have your card match up with your monitor.
January 30, 2013 4:30:47 AM

bigshootr8 said:
The big selling point with adaptive is more or less that you don't see such a huge frame drop because unlike vsync it wont keep lowering the frames till your monitor catches up. Woot for SSD tech I love my SSD I have a Samsung 830 256GB.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/DSCN0183_zpse3950836.jpg

nice rig there :D . And for SSD i ordered Intel 330 120GB. Cheap and had great review.

For my monitor i'm pretty sure that my monitor has 60hz refresh rate. Using fraps and it shown 60 when use normal vsync or adaptive vsync.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2013 5:24:59 AM

It more then likely is a standard flat screen will be. Was just trying to explain the process of what vsync really does.
January 30, 2013 6:42:26 AM

Best answer selected by ashharun.
January 30, 2013 6:42:47 AM

thanks anyway bigshootr. Will try to reinstall windows and see if this issue still happen :) 
a b Î Nvidia
January 30, 2013 6:44:21 AM

Hopefully the issue goes away I would imagine that would be annoying.
!