Sign in with
Your question

White Lines on Screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2013 9:11:47 AM

Hey guys, Apparently I get this kind of screen whenever I insert my Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 GS 2GB in my PC:

(Take Notice The White Lines)(also, don't mind the white glowing light by the middle-top of the screen, it's just florescent lighting reflecting the glass...)
I do not know why it happens like that, It started to become like that while I'm playing MineCraft(in full screen) then it suddenly crashed. It was not actually the cause of overheating tho, because I checked it out and it wasn't that hot.

And if your thinking that that's about the monitor, Well... No, because I am currently using my on-board video card which is the ATI Radeon HD 4200 on boarded to the Biostar Group TA785GE 128M and the monitor is working fine
(but of course, graphics is very minimal)

so please do help me, and I'm ALWAYS taking suggestions in account :D 
Thanks For The Help :) 
~TacticaL_BacoN

PC Specs:
Enclosure - Segotep C2-R Mid Tower
Operating System - MicroSoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
Processor - AMD Opteron 1354 Barcelona 65nm Technology
Power Supply - AcBel 500 watts HB9019
RAM - 4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard - BIOSTAR Group TA785GE 128M
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Biostar Microtech Int'l) (Currently, Before it was the Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 GS 2GB)
Hard Drives - 500GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA) & 120GB Seagate ST3120827AS (SATA)
Optical Drive - ATAPI iHAS122

More about : white lines screen

January 28, 2013 12:40:08 PM

Looks like your graphics card is on the way out! Have you tried setting your GPU settings back to factory default and try rolling back your drivers or installing later drivers? I had a similar problem with a GTX275 GPU, strange coloured lines appeared on the screen then few days later it would not display at all!
m
l
January 28, 2013 12:51:51 PM

Looks like at least one of the cards vram chips is defective. Not worth repairing really...
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 8:55:25 AM

JRock247 said:
Looks like your graphics card is on the way out! Have you tried setting your GPU settings back to factory default and try rolling back your drivers or installing later drivers? I had a similar problem with a GTX275 GPU, strange coloured lines appeared on the screen then few days later it would not display at all!

Hello again, I tried updating the drivers and I have to say that it took off those lines, but only when the Desktop shows up, But then again I encountered another problem:

Now it looks like my PC has Windows 95 Graphics! :na: 
It is NOT camera error that it looks like that, it really looks like that.
As you can see, The monitor has a 640 x 480 resolution instead of the regular 1024 x 768, for that kind of monitor.
also, when it states "Starting Windows" at the screen it is still the same, With the White Lines...
Then again my monitor is working fine and all but it is just really the graphics card. :( 

So again I do dearly need help from you guys. :) 
~TacticaL_BacoN

P.S. I never tried setting your GPU settings back to factory default, mainly because I don't know how. :p 
m
l
February 24, 2013 9:42:19 AM

I am still accepting helpful suggestions... :) 
m
l
March 25, 2013 4:14:29 AM

I had a system with 4 way sli gtx480.
My system developed almost the same problem plus blue screen. white lines appearing straight away just after bios boot up.
After trouble shooting by taking all the cards out and booting the system with each card in Slot 1 separately.
I found that the main card only had the white lines. this was the card in slot one which ran the hottest while gaming.
Conclusion is
It is a graphics card hardware fault due to overheating at some stage. could be cracked solder joint or bad ram.
you could try baking the card by heating it enough to re-flow the solder. see youtube videos.
(or replacing it under warranty).
You would have to strip it down remove all thermal pads and compund , heat the PCB to reflow solder joints (dont overdo it, you dont want to completely fry it)
then repalce all thermal compound and pads and reassemble and test. good luck
m
l
!