Black screen question - Again

adam8788

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hello,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times but i cant seem to find the right answer to my problem.

PC specs:
AMD quad processor
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe mobo
880W PSU (4x12V @ 19A)
6GB DDR2 Ram
Vista x64
Sapphire HD7850 2GB DDR5 (new card)
Radeon 3800 series 512MB ddr2 (old card)

Now i decided to treat myself to a few new pieces (heat sink, Blu-ray drive, 2xcase fans and my new card) and gave my PC a deep clean whilst installing (taking care with ESD) installed everything fine, made sure all connections were secure before finally booting to see my glorious work...however upon boot i get a black screen with the power light on my monitor blinking. I do get some POST error beeps which suggest the graphics card.
I removed the new graphics card and re-installed the old card however i still get a black screen......
I have spent 24hours searching forums for the solution but i am at a loss.

My Mobo does NOT have integrated graphics so being able to get an image will be impossible and i know of no one who will have the PC specs to even run my new card to test that end.

Would clearing the CMOS help me at all?
I did realise in my stupidity that i forgot to uninstall my drivers before installing the new card...DOH...would that be the route of my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Clearing the CMOS effectively resets the BIOS configuration - so unless you messed with that its not likely (unless you set something that isn't compatible with the card - maybe the minimum PCIe packet size?) But if you did mess with the BIOS settings, go ahead ;)

Drivers only affect things once the OS has started to boot, you can't even get past POST so your system hasn't even started to load the drivers for your card. This may be an issue if you encounter a blue screen / never ending windows loading screen.

If you connected your fans to your motherboard, I would check that the connectors are in correctly,. and that the fans spin when connected. Things like the fan failure detection can make your system fail to post or power off immediately.

I would also make sure you are seating your card correctly, and that you have the proper power connections from the PSU hooked up to the card.

adam8788

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
I am going to have another go at a rebuild this evening making sure everything is in it rightful place and secure. The fans last night were deffinately working and the beep i recieved did sound like a fan failure however without a screen to see the error message im a little stumped.
Will repost when i have had another attempt. thanks for your input!

adam8788

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Anyone have any more thoughts about how to solve my issue, any areas i might be overlooking before i head home and have to rely on 3G mobile phone internet for solutions.