Older ATI card vs newer intel HD card

TvrtleWaterBear

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I'm looking at getting a new laptop, and I was curious how the newer intel HD integrated gaphics cards hold up against my current graphics card, an ATI mobility radeon X2300. I can play a fair number of games on my current one, including Bioshock on fairly low settings. I know the processor has something to do with it, and there's no contest for that - the new one has an i7, and my current one shows up on the device manager as two core 2 duos. Any advice?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, but it seems like it would be more of a GPU question that a CPU.

HD4000 is 5-6 "levels" over the x2300 but an AMD trinity APU with 7660 is 4 "levels" over Intel.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

If you want to do casual gaming AMD is the best option. It will also probably be cheaper, and the CPU will still blow your old one away

TvrtleWaterBear

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for the quick response!

Actually, I've now received an offer for a gently used laptop from someone in my family. It's a Core i7 620m with integrated graphics. The windows experience index for 3D graphics is a 5 for the i7, and a 3.8 on my current laptop. I know the WEI is not exact in many ways, but I'm curious as to what the difference is between the two, since it seems to still be an upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS