d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
There are many different GPU's. You need to figure out your budget and the chart will give you several options around that budget.

Assuming gaming is your priority, Tom's also has monthly suggestions broken out by price range.

The answer to your question, "So the gtx 660 TI is a better one ? " Depends on the game ...

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Yes.

The two major (only ?) types for GPU's are AMD and NVIDIA. Depending on the specific game (Battle Field series, Civilization series, ...) AMD does better in some, NVIDIA does better in others.

Also, some games do better on 4 CPU cores ...

I would say the GPU is the biggest factor in game performance (assuming a modern CPU) but clearly many factors are involved. Sorry for the long explanation, but it's not a simple question with a short answer.

smjpl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
@ASHISH65 & @d1versify

Have a read of this. Looked interesting (*cough for Nvidia) :)

http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

It shows how 7950 has a higher average fps, no denying that but also says that isn't the end of the story.

If your looking at a 670 then you probably going to need 380+delivery though. AMD is cheaper but not by that much for a 660ti. I have heard of driver issues with AMD though. Maybe someone else can clarify on this more.

The selection of a video card is very complex and nearly a religious decision. As of now, AMD 7950's will give you more frames per second, which is good. However, they tend to "cough" a bit where sometimes a single frame or two every few seconds will take long to render while the remaining ones are quick. This is jarring to the gamer, and they will prefer a smooth experience like the Nvidia's can provide, to a point, of course. The current thought nowdays is, sure, the 7950 will give you more frames per second, but the 660Ti & 670 will give you a more consistant frames per second and not have nearly as many that are slow and those that are slow, aren't as slow as the slowest of the 7950's.

That being said, the 660TI is bottlenecked by it's lack of graphics memory bandwidth. It's processor is quick but hindered. I'd recommend a 670. They are more expensive, starting at about 360 pounds or Euros or whatever. But you will have a more balanced and faster card that will keep your friend happy for years.

That being said, you have the question of which one of the many types of brands to buy once you have selected the graphics processer type (7950, 660TI, 670). In short, if you have a small or poorly ventilated computer case, get a reference cooler. These are the boards that have a single fan at the far end of the card, the side furthest from the display connectors. These cards tend to be noisier and run hotter than the custom cooler models, but they will not heat up the interior of your computer case, which can be really bad. However, if you have a large, well ventilated case, then get a custom cooled one. They almost always dump the heated air into the computer's interior for the most part, but if your case can handle it, they will give your better performance.

Then you have to decide which one of these you want. Look at the clock frequencies, reliability, and guarantees.

Check out newegg.com, you can read hundreds of reviews on many of these cards to get an idea of how good the cards are.

smjpl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
@babernet_1

That is basically a summary of the link I put up. Good post. I was too lazy :pfff:

I also would recommend the gtx 670 (and I am also in the market for a gpu at the moment). Although if I could find a second hand gtx 580 at the right price (sub €200) I think I would snap it up because I wouldn't go for an entry level gtx670 so I am looking at least €400. Marginal (real world) performance difference for half the price.

smjpl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Would you look in the second hand market (local area as opposed to ebay as I prefer face to face sales)? Top of the line last gen models for half price isn't the worst way to go. Depends on the individual though. I myself am willing to buy second hand. Some people just prefer the peace of mind of new parts.

smjpl

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Can I ask why not? Again each person to there own so you are completely right not to suggest it. It is a risk but that all depends on the person. As it is an option I did mention it but I'm not recommending it. You have to decide whether or not you want to do it.

I have bought second hand and had no problems. The website I use is extremely good for it (adverts.ie) as it is like a forum. All questions are asked on the thread so everyone can see your reply. Its a lot more open with plenty of feedback so you feel a bit safer. And also it is a face to face sale which makes it slightly better.