Electrolytic replacement in old receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
if these should short out.

NewarkIn One is a great distributor -- they have been selling a lot of stuff
through ebay to reduce inventories.

Jack

"Dan Busetti" <menwagoh@msn.com> wrote in message
> The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
> Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
> web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
> need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
> cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
> The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
> if these should short out.

has caps like the ones you are looking for:

http://stores.ebay.com/JEA-Capacitors_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

menwagoh@msn.com (Dan Busetti) wrote in news:ad8e0b3b.0407100511.71fadff1
@posting.google.com:

> The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
> Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
> web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
> need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
> cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
> The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
> if these should short out.

To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from me
at $48.77 each. :)>) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:51:39 -0000, "Rich.Andrews" <spmaway@ylhoo.com>
wrote:

>> The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
>> Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
>> web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
>> need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
>> cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
>> The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
>> if these should short out.
>
>To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from me
>at $48.77 each. :)>) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.

I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
insist ;-)

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:51:39 -0000, "Rich.Andrews" <spmaway@ylhoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
>>> Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
>>> web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
>>> need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
>>> cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?
>>> The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
>>> if these should short out.
>>
>>To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from
me
>>at $48.77 each. :)>) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.
>
> I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
> insist ;-)

My audiophile gold version is $977.00 each and that is my cost...honest!

"Rich.Andrews" <spmaway@ylhoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95239E91560E3mc2500183316chgoill@10.232.1.1>...
> Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

> >>To be honest, $14.53 is about right. If you want, you can buy them from
> me
> >>at $48.77 each. :)>) Big can electrolytics are generally cheap.
> >
> > I'll sell you same "audiophile" ones at twice that price, if you
> > insist ;-)
> >

> My audiophile gold version is $977.00 each and that is my cost...honest!

As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
Platinums cost?
I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
have to do.

>As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
>Platinums cost?
>I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
>big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
>have to do.

Just remind us again why you rejected the $14.53 ones?

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1ri7f0lo3eehpuusu7bkpauh15971hchgf@4ax.com>...
> >As Yakov would say, What a Country! If Golds costs $977, what do
> >Platinums cost?
> >I ordered a pair from newarkinone for $29+ shipping. I suppose this
> >big Technics (165 wpc)is worthy of Gold, but utilitarian units will
> >have to do.
>

> Just remind us again why you rejected the $14.53 ones?
I didn't.
$14.53 + $14.53= $29.06.
So I rounded down .06. I ordered (2) $14.53 units.
Speaking of the PS caps, Technics advertising says this unit has
"conservatively rated power supply capacitors."

"Dan Busetti" <menwagoh@msn.com> wrote in message

> The big can electrolytics have leaked out goo some time ago in my
> Technics SA5770A. The only replacements I found while searching the
> web were from newarkinone (United Chemi-con U32D80LG223M63X79HPC). I
> need two 22,000mfd @80vdc. Their price of $14.53 each seemed way too
> cheap. Is there another source? Or will these be ok?

If the dimensions are OK, seems like a slam dunk.

> The receiver still plays ok, but I know a catastrophic end is coming
> if these should short out.

I looked up the specs on this old classic at

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm

At 165 wpc, its a brute. +/- 80 volts and 22,000 uF is LOTS of PS filter cap
for a receiver, but for a machine this powerful, its about right.

There is a picture of the guts at

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa5770.htm

Looks to be nicely made. Note particularly the 4 gang (or more) tuning cap.

A simple low frequency FR test will give you an idea as to whether any of
the other caps in the receiver may have partially failed in a more concealed
fashion. Normally cheap DVMs aren't good for FR tests at high audio
frequencies, but most of them are good enough to get a represenative idea of
what's happening at 400 Hz, and 20 Hz. If the response at 20 Hz is more than
a dB or two down from 400 Hz, you've probably got some other dried-out caps
to deal with.

> I looked up the specs on this old classic at
>
> http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm
>
> At 165 wpc, its a brute. +/- 80 volts and 22,000 uF is LOTS of PS filter cap
> for a receiver, but for a machine this powerful, its about right.
>
> There is a picture of the guts at
>
> http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa5770.htm
>
> Looks to be nicely made. Note particularly the 4 gang (or more) tuning cap.
>
> A simple low frequency FR test will give you an idea as to whether any of
> the other caps in the receiver may have partially failed in a more concealed
> fashion. Normally cheap DVMs aren't good for FR tests at high audio
> frequencies, but most of them are good enough to get a represenative idea of
> what's happening at 400 Hz, and 20 Hz. If the response at 20 Hz is more than
> a dB or two down from 400 Hz, you've probably got some other dried-out caps
> to deal with.
Yep, it was a slam dunk. They bolted in and I used some terminal
strips to anchor the leads on the screw terminals. B+ B- are 74.5 vdc.
Sounds much better than before, more power, definition and detail.
Will drive my Infinity Studio Monitors to concussive levels. I have a
test CD from my brother I can use to check bass response.