Monitor doesn't turn off when conected to VGA on ATI RADEON HD 4570

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi there guys

I have a very annoying problem with my ACER ASPIRE 5738PZG laptop (with an ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570 video card).
If I connect my 22" DELL 2209WA monitor on the VGA port, when the laptop shuts down (or enters sleep or hibernate mode), the monitor doesn't enter the Power Saving mode, it just displays the "No VGA cable" floating box forever.

Now, I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the monitor because:
1. It has two inputs (one DVI and one VGA). On the DVI input I have connected my desktop computer and everything works as expected (when I shut down, sleep, or hibernate the computer, the monitor goes into the Power Saving mode).
2. I tried this with another laptop (a DELL Vostro 3300 with an nVidia card), connecting it to the monitor using the VGA port, and had no problems there (it turned off the monitor as expected).

So it seems there's something wrong with the Acer laptop, and most probably the culprit is the ATI video card (which I guess doesn't send a turn off signal).

I would appreciate some help, please!

Cheers

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Well, I'm afraid I can't do that, because this Acer laptop only has a VGA port and an HDMI port, and I don't have neither a VGA-DVI cable (i'm not even sure that exist), nor an HDMI-DVI cable. But tomorrow I'll get an HDMI-DVI one from a friend, and try that.

Kari

Splendid

nope that wont work, it is meant to be used to get VGA signal from a DVI-I output... (which he doesnt have)

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi guys
I'm back. I did the test with the HDMI->DVI cable and had no problems there. The monitor went to power save mode when I put the laptop to sleep.
So it seems something is not right with the VGA output. :sarcastic: