Sign in with
Your question

Dell T7500 running two GTX-680's

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2013 3:11:31 PM

Hello all and welcome to my first post.

I am trying to get two nVidia GTX-680's to run in a Dell T7500 tower. The problem is a STUNNING LACK of 6-pin PCIe power cables (there are only 2?! Really? Only 2?). From what I understand both of the cards require both of the supplemental power ports to be charged by the PSU and that means I need four 6-pin PCIe power cables and as I have said there are only two.

The question becomes: Can I use two (2) StarTech Model SATPCIEXADAP 6" 6in SATA Power to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapters to get the power I need? Is this safe? If this is not the way to go is there another work around?

I just can't understand why an 1.1 Kw PSU has only 2 available 6-pin plugs.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you all so much.

David

EDIT: I forgot to add that I wish to run these cards in SLI (if that matters to the power thing that is)
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2013 4:20:22 PM

you can use two molex to one pcie adaptors x2 for the second card but no its not safe..the safest way is to upgrade the power supply to 650-750watts that will have all the pcie power cabled included

and thats weird that your 1100w psu has two pcie connects..maybe its old so yea i would still recommend upgrading to a gold efficiency rating power supply with 4 pcie 6+2 pins meaning it will have four 6 pin power connectors with optional two extra pins as some cards take 6 pin and a 8 pin
m
l
January 28, 2013 4:47:44 PM

alvine said:
you can use two molex to one pcie adaptors x2 for the second card but no its not safe..the safest way is to upgrade the power supply to 650-750watts that will have all the pcie power cabled included

and thats weird that your 1100w psu has two pcie connects..maybe its old so yea i would still recommend upgrading to a gold efficiency rating power supply with 4 pcie 6+2 pins meaning it will have four 6 pin power connectors with optional two extra pins as some cards take 6 pin and a 8 pin

Thank you. That's the information I was looking for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2013 4:59:45 PM

No problem dude
m
l
!