PartitionMagic & very large drives (>80-GB)

G

The PowerQuest website says that PartitionMagic 7 works with hard drives up to 80-GB. I would like to buy one of the new WD 1200-GB drives, and migrate my 40-GB boot drive, however, I am not sure that PartitionMagic will accept my 40-GB partition from the 120-GB WD drive.
PowerQuest did not help...

Any help from thsi forum will be appreciated.

Alain

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Then before you load the OS on the 120 GB do fdisk and create two partitions 80 GB (primary-active) & 40 GB. It should work ok with this configuration. Then you can migrate your 40 GB HDD to the 80 GB partition with Ghost/Drive Copy.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

G

Thanks... just out of curiosity, do you know what is so magical about 80-GB...? I mean why do they specifically say they support drives up to 80-GB and not any large drive?
Is there many something different with the technology?

Thanks

Alain

Don't know. One possibility may be that there is a 'professional version' which supports more. If there is such a pack, they might not want business users getting away with the cheaper option.

<b><font color=red> :mad: DELETE THE "EVERYTHING'S GONE QUIET" THREAD!!! :mad: </font color=red></b>

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Ok, here is the deal. I contacted Power Quest tech support regarding the size limitation of Partition Magic and this is their reply:

Part of the explanation is that drives larger than 80GB simply were not available when testing was completed with the product. Same with PartitionMagic 6, I believe it was 60GB or so. NTFS partitions above the capacity should be okay (so far as I have seen), but FAT32 partitions over 64GB still have some memory issues.

AldenT, MCP
PowerQuest Technical Support

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

G

WOW thanks for yhe info... I had tried to contact them myself but never got an answer... I am on my way to PriceGrabber to get that WD 120-GB....

Alain

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
I bet sometime in the near future Partition Magic v.8.0 will come out with a 120-150 GB limitation. Since we now know the mystery of their version limitation restriction :smile: . Good luck on setting up your new drive. Peace!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Camie, I installed version 7 on my 120gig and it works fine. You can do all functions with it.
No worries.

(of course I did a full backup before testing :smile: )

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Really! You mean you could create, resize, move, format,...etc. on your 120 G HDD with complete functionality? If so, then I guess Power Quest doesn't want to take liability for data lose beyond their test perimeters (per tech sup). WTG OldBear, now we can blame our screw-ups on you...hehehe :smile:

Yep. I figured its almost identical. I have the proper Powerquest disk for v6.0, but my v7.0 is [cough]on loan[/cough].

I prefer using the disks for now. I plan to go to W2K soon, so NTFS will be the way if I decide to add GBs to my system.

BTW I could almost feel the sigh in that last post.

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
No sigh. I am very happily married and if you don't believe me,
ask my wife. :smile:

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile: