Power needed for 7870?

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I've come to Tom's for a long time via googling my questions, but this time I thought I'd ask myself and be a bit specific. There's always great advice here so hopefully some of you can help me out.

I built my own rig in mid-2011 solely for gaming. I've always been a big gamer, but until recently did most of my gaming on consoles (360 & PS3). The 360 recently had a hdd failure so I reformatted it and sold it; I still have the PS3 but mostly as a blu-ray player at this point. So, I've decided to switch most of my gaming to my PC--since that's what I originally built it for anyway.

Before now I mostly played older RTS games--all of the Total War games, Starcraft, etc. Just this week I bought Skyrim for PC and loaded it up with mods. It runs on ultra settings pretty well but I've noticed some frame drops when I get in a busy area. So, I'm thinking about upgrading some of the hardware on my system and I thought I'd see what you all think of my plans--and I also have a question in regards to the wattage I need.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor. I have 4 GB of Ram (that I'm planning on upgrading to 8). I have an HIS Iceq Turbo Radeon HD 5770 vid card. And, a XION 700-watt power supply. And I have an additional cooling unit but I can't remember exactly what it is :P.

So, I'm planning on upgrading the RAM, as I mentioned, and also the vid card. I was thinking of a Radeon 7870. Any thoughts on that? And, will the 700-watt supply be enough for that change?

I have some basic knowledge of how to put all of the parts together and get everything working, but a lot of the really specific tech details I'm a little unsure of. If more information would be helpful, let me know and I'll look it all up.

Thanks so much!
5 answers Last reply
More about power needed 7870
  1. chriswethi said:
    Hello everyone, first time poster here. I've come to Tom's for a long time via googling my questions, but this time I thought I'd ask myself and be a bit specific. There's always great advice here so hopefully some of you can help me out.

I built my own rig in mid-2011 solely for gaming. I've always been a big gamer, but until recently did most of my gaming on consoles (360 & PS3). The 360 recently had a hdd failure so I reformatted it and sold it; I still have the PS3 but mostly as a blu-ray player at this point. So, I've decided to switch most of my gaming to my PC--since that's what I originally built it for anyway.

Before now I mostly played older RTS games--all of the Total War games, Starcraft, etc. Just this week I bought Skyrim for PC and loaded it up with mods. It runs on ultra settings pretty well but I've noticed some frame drops when I get in a busy area. So, I'm thinking about upgrading some of the hardware on my system and I thought I'd see what you all think of my plans--and I also have a question in regards to the wattage I need.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor. I have 4 GB of Ram (that I'm planning on upgrading to 8). I have an HIS Iceq Turbo Radeon HD 5770 vid card. And, a XION 700-watt power supply. And I have an additional cooling unit but I can't remember exactly what it is :P.

So, I'm planning on upgrading the RAM, as I mentioned, and also the vid card. I was thinking of a Radeon 7870. Any thoughts on that? And, will the 700-watt supply be enough for that change?

I have some basic knowledge of how to put all of the parts together and get everything working, but a lot of the really specific tech details I'm a little unsure of. If more information would be helpful, let me know and I'll look it all up.

Thanks so much!

700 Watts is enough if the power supply is a good brand and is really putting out 700W.

What is the make and model of the power supply?
  2. Thanks for the reply!

The power supply is a XION XON-700P12F
  3. chriswethi said:
    Thanks for the reply!

The power supply is a XION XON-700P12F

That is made by Super Flower which is a good manufacturer. You will need to make sure that the both 6 pins goes to the card. You shouldn't have an issue. Your individual rails go to 300W which is higher than what Tom's showed for the whole card.
  4. Great, that's good to know. I'll double check on the 6 pins before I actually purchase the card. Thanks for your help!
  5. I suggest getting the 7870 Tahiti LE.

It's basically a slightly crippled 7950 but for the price of a 7870.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Product