Power needed for 7870?

chriswethi

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hello everyone, first time poster here. I've come to Tom's for a long time via googling my questions, but this time I thought I'd ask myself and be a bit specific. There's always great advice here so hopefully some of you can help me out.

I built my own rig in mid-2011 solely for gaming. I've always been a big gamer, but until recently did most of my gaming on consoles (360 & PS3). The 360 recently had a hdd failure so I reformatted it and sold it; I still have the PS3 but mostly as a blu-ray player at this point. So, I've decided to switch most of my gaming to my PC--since that's what I originally built it for anyway.

Before now I mostly played older RTS games--all of the Total War games, Starcraft, etc. Just this week I bought Skyrim for PC and loaded it up with mods. It runs on ultra settings pretty well but I've noticed some frame drops when I get in a busy area. So, I'm thinking about upgrading some of the hardware on my system and I thought I'd see what you all think of my plans--and I also have a question in regards to the wattage I need.

I currently have an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T processor. I have 4 GB of Ram (that I'm planning on upgrading to 8). I have an HIS Iceq Turbo Radeon HD 5770 vid card. And, a XION 700-watt power supply. And I have an additional cooling unit but I can't remember exactly what it is :p.

So, I'm planning on upgrading the RAM, as I mentioned, and also the vid card. I was thinking of a Radeon 7870. Any thoughts on that? And, will the 700-watt supply be enough for that change?

I have some basic knowledge of how to put all of the parts together and get everything working, but a lot of the really specific tech details I'm a little unsure of. If more information would be helpful, let me know and I'll look it all up.

Thanks so much!

700 Watts is enough if the power supply is a good brand and is really putting out 700W.

What is the make and model of the power supply?

That is made by Super Flower which is a good manufacturer. You will need to make sure that the both 6 pins goes to the card. You shouldn't have an issue. Your individual rails go to 300W which is higher than what Tom's showed for the whole card.