Is the 8600GT to the 7750HD a HUGE Jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderUpOKC

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Is the Nvidia 8600GT to the AMD7750HD a huge jump as far as cards that don't require 6 pin power adapters?

My favorite game of all time is Company of Heroes and I am hoping my system can handle Company of Heroes 2 which comes out in March.

Steam Lists the basic requirements as:
System Requirements OS: Windows Vista (32bit), Windows 7
Processor: 2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo or Equivalent
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 20GB
Video Card: 256MB Direct3D 10 capable video card (GeForce 8800 or RadeonHD 2900)
Additional: Internet Connection

My computer is a Dell Vosto 200 (I know hahaha :lol: I'm poor) :)
It has an Intel E4500 Core 2 Duo 2.2GHZ
4GB Ram DDR2 800MHz 6400
Nvidia XFX 8600GT 256MB

I can play the first game flawlessly on my computer on a 1920x1200 resolution.

If I install http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-HD7750-1GD5-V2-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B007RFYEQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359410768&sr=8-3&keywords=7750hd

Is that a big enough jump to take some of the burden off of the CPU and help the overall performance of the unit. (I only play RTS and strategy games so I'm not sure if the problems lie in CPU, RAM, or GPU?

Thanks in advance!!!

Solution
I'm sure you could play at that resolution 1920x1200 you would just have to heavily scale back on settings. probably a mix of medium and high settings with no AA+AF.
Yes its quite the leap in terms of performance however a few things to keep in mind. At this point updating your graphics card as it may be a good way to go isn't going to solve some other looming issues you have. You deal with your CPU which is pretty aged at this point its around 4-5 years old now. Also your ram will hold you back as well. For a fix to help you now a graphics card may do the trick however you are severely held back because of your legacy socket 775 computer.

ThunderUpOKC

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

Thanks for your advice. My computer works great for what I want it to do now (Company of Heroes 1, some older games, and Netflix. The only two new games I want to play are XCOM and Company of Heroes 2 and since they are both strategy games I was hoping this desktop could make it with a modest investment because I plan on buying a 17 inch gaming laptop when I get the chance. I travel alot and like to play Company of Heroes on my 24inch monitor when I am home. My concern is that when I bought Starcraft II I had to play it on my current laptop because my Desktop suffered framerate issues and forced me to run it at a lower resolution than my 1920x1200 monitor. Perhaps starcraft II is more CPU intensive because of the giant armies you build while in Company of Heroes and XCom you manage smaller armies and have a pop cap. If I upgrade to the ASUS 7750HD 1GBDDR5 I am hoping it can help in two main areas; Framerate and allow 1920x1200 resolution with no lag. If it can do that then I think I will go that route.

In a year I would like to get a new system when I save up funds but right now I'm hoping the 7750 is the best low power card on the market and can take care of the few issues I experience.

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
if you were gaming at a resolution lower than 1440x900. i would've advised you to upgrade your CPU (which you really need to by the way) but at that resolution it's gonna be the GPU power that counts. The 7750 should be a massive upgrade over the 8600GT but if your budget allows it, try to stretch towards a HD7770 or a HD7850. Those 2 cards can handle modern games at that resolution with the eye candy turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.