Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

6230 - not recognizing groups and ringtones!!

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:27:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

PLEASE HELP!

I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.

Let me give an example.

I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.

Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
"Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
the phone.

I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
it)

Anyone with any clue???

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:45:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 9 Aug 2005 12:27:08 -0700, "Cara" <rottenspice@gmail.com> wrote:

>PLEASE HELP!
>
>I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
> But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
>SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.
>
>Let me give an example.
>
>I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
>caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.
>
>Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
>"Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
>the phone.
>
>I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
>and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
>and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
>numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
>it)
>
>Anyone with any clue???
>
>Thanks in advance!

I'm having the same problem. Sudden, random. All of my stuff is in the
phone memory, not the SIM. I've tried a cold reboot, I've tried
resetting to factory defaults. Cingular sent me a recoditioned one
that had NO AUDIO at all and a screw loose, so I sent it back. Now
they tell me they don't have any more 6230's and they'll replace it
with a different (lesser) phone. I think NOT.

Other than this problem -- which really bugs me because I rely on the
different ringtones -- it works great. What could it be? And why all
of a sudden?

Anyone with any ideas?

Marce
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:29:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Cara,

Are you sure that you haven't got your "Moms" number stored under a.n.other
name also.

Maybe you have your brothers/sisters/dads mobile number seperate PLUS your
Moms number also under their heading??

IF that were the case (or indeed duplicated any other numbers against
different names), then that may cause the "clash of data"??

May be worth a try, IF you haven't already..

Why don't you select ONLY Phone OR SIM memory, and then try it?? (instead of
having both SIM AND phone memories active)

Good luck




"Cara" <rottenspice@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1123615628.764237.314350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> I got my 6230 about 9 or 10 months ago and everything was working fine.
> But just last week, on certain numbers I have stored on the phone (and
> SIM card) it doesn't recognize them anymore.
>
> Let me give an example.
>
> I have my mom programmed into the SIM card as "Mom" and she has a
> caller ID photo and her own group ringtone.
>
> Now when she calls, it shows her photo, but instead of showing the name
> "Mom", it shows her number and plays the general generic ringtone for
> the phone.
>
> I have tried everything including deleting the number from the phone
> and card, but it still does it. Cingular has even sent me a NEW PHONE
> and it's still giving me these problems. It doesn't do it on all
> numbers, it just seems to be certain ones (and there is no pattern to
> it)
>
> Anyone with any clue???
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:02:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
sim card?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On 10 Aug 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "Cara" <rottenspice@gmail.com> wrote:

>No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
>anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
>sim card?

Cara,

I'm experiencing the same thing and I wonder actually if it's a
network problem related to caller ID. When my friends on other
networks call me, their assigned ringtones work. When my husband and
son call (same network, different accounts) they default to the
regular ringtone and not their assigned caller group tones, although
others in those caller groups work fine, but they're on different
networks.

I'm just trying to suss out the logic of what's happening. I've also
checked for duplicates; I've deleted the people and re-entered them;
I've checked all the settings from here until Tuesday. Nothing seems
to work.

It's frustrating because it happened all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago
even though everything worked fine until then and I hadn't changed
anything.

Wacko!

Marce

PS The reason I was thinking the caller ID db might be the culprit is
that about a year ago my house phone stopped identifying me to people
I was calling. The phone company told me that they stream the caller
ID update periodically and just to wait until the database got
updated. In fact, after a few weeks, my ID was back.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 3:50:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

From the Nokia 6230 Manual with regards to calling:

"When you receive a call, the phone shows the caller’s name, phone
number, or the
message Private number or Call. If more than one name is found in
contacts with
the seven last digits of the caller’s phone number, only the phone number is
displayed. The phone may display an incorrect name if the caller’s
number is not
saved in contacts but there is another name saved with the same seven
last digits."

Double check she's still in the caller group?

To verify it's the functionality of the phone, what I would do is back
everything up to a computer, then do a master clear/master reset, delete
all the contacts from the sim, create manually a new contact and assign
it to a different group, then edit the ringtone for the group and try
calling.

Marce wrote:
> On 10 Aug 2005 09:02:41 -0700, "Cara" <rottenspice@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>>No, nothing is duplicated. Like I said, it started suddenly, without
>>anyone even touching it. I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the
>>sim card?
>
>
> Cara,
>
> I'm experiencing the same thing and I wonder actually if it's a
> network problem related to caller ID. When my friends on other
> networks call me, their assigned ringtones work. When my husband and
> son call (same network, different accounts) they default to the
> regular ringtone and not their assigned caller group tones, although
> others in those caller groups work fine, but they're on different
> networks.
>
> I'm just trying to suss out the logic of what's happening. I've also
> checked for duplicates; I've deleted the people and re-entered them;
> I've checked all the settings from here until Tuesday. Nothing seems
> to work.
>
> It's frustrating because it happened all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago
> even though everything worked fine until then and I hadn't changed
> anything.
>
> Wacko!
>
> Marce
>
> PS The reason I was thinking the caller ID db might be the culprit is
> that about a year ago my house phone stopped identifying me to people
> I was calling. The phone company told me that they stream the caller
> ID update periodically and just to wait until the database got
> updated. In fact, after a few weeks, my ID was back.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 11:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:50:57 -0400, Nick B
<newshosting@invisiblematrix.net> wrote:

> From the Nokia 6230 Manual with regards to calling:
>
>"When you receive a call, the phone shows the caller’s name, phone
>number, or the
>message Private number or Call. If more than one name is found in
>contacts with
>the seven last digits of the caller’s phone number, only the phone number is
>displayed. The phone may display an incorrect name if the caller’s
>number is not
>saved in contacts but there is another name saved with the same seven
>last digits."
>
>Double check she's still in the caller group?
>
>To verify it's the functionality of the phone, what I would do is back
>everything up to a computer, then do a master clear/master reset, delete
>all the contacts from the sim, create manually a new contact and assign
>it to a different group, then edit the ringtone for the group and try
>calling.
>

I can't speak for Cara, but I've done all the things you've suggested
-- master reset, create new contact, assign to group, change group
ringtone, etc. The callers who aren't being identified aren't
duplicated on the phone.

As far as I can tell, for me it's only my contacts who are also on
Cingular who are not being identified, and who ring the default
ringtone instead of their assigned one. All other callers from
Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint are ID'd and ringing their caller group
ringtones.

Marce
!