Sign in with
Your question

Good monitor for displaying text.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2013 8:55:51 PM

I do a lot of reading online and my eyes aren't the best so I run Windows 7 at 1024x768. I'm looking for a monitor that's good at displaying text at that resolution. I don't play games at all but I do a little video editing from time to time. I see that Best Buy has the AOC 27 inch E2752VH monitor for sale and I have some Best Buy Reward certificates.to use up. But it has a TN screen and I've read that IPS screens are better. Other possibilities are the Viewsonic VX2770S, AOC i2757fh, Viewsonic VG2732M. Any other reccommendations would be welcome. I have a budget of about $400.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2013 11:40:02 PM

Get a 27 inch full hd monitor like he one you selected. Buying 1440p or higher resolution monitors won't do you any good as you are not planning to play games, also the text will become smaller which will be harder to read.
After buying the monitor use he windows calibration software to set the settings that will suit your eyes best.
Different monitors wont make a difference at all for you because you just want it for reading. So get any 27 inch monitor that is in your budget.
m
l
January 29, 2013 12:24:27 PM

Reply to Zengal... Hi, I'll try and share my experience with you. I mostly use my monitor for reading, spreadsheets, and some photo editing. No gaming and very limited video... meaning response time is not an issue. Since 2004 I have been using my Sony Ultrabrite HS-94P (had 2 before one died) and have been great... 19", gloss screen, very light Anti-Glare (AG) coating. Good size text and very clear. Wanted a new monitor and bought an Asus PA246Q - 24", 16x10, IPS, with RGB color space. Got very good reviews. Got it setup, and calibrated... 1920x1200 native res. Immediately gave me eye strain, like U my eye sight is not the best. I kept trying to adjust, etc... with no real improvement. Beautiful colors and photos but for text... lousy.

If U have time read this review.. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm

Is for a Dell-S2440L, the monitor I ended up choosing, is great for text. Super clear, no eye strain. These are the factors for good text:
Use at native resolution if possible.
Not too high resolution 27" at 2560x1440 = big workspace, very small text.. very small pixel pitch. Bigger text at 1920x1080.
Either glossy screen or VERY LIGHT 'AG' coating. Strong matte AG coating cause sparkling - halos around text on white background. This is issue with my Asus.
High 'STATIC' contrast... this is a factor of panel technology... IPS panels are fast but low contrast ~800:1. The Dell is an AMVA panel.. not very popular now. Slower response, but highest contrast ~3500:1. Don't be fooled by ridiculous dynamic-contrast number. Text is static.. those are what U should go by.

If U want 27" look at AOC i2757 or Dell S2740L. Both are IPS so lower contrast, but larger native text. Good luck.. if U have questions email me John, jasrun2@gmail.com
m
l
February 4, 2013 1:28:49 AM

Thanks for your help guys.
m
l
!