Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II vs Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hi so I was trying to look for reviews for the normal Asus GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II but I really could not find any.

Now looking at it I can't seem to get the TOP version of the Asus card in the UK and I do not really know why, so I wanted to ask with this in mind would the Gigabyte version be better than the Asus card?

I have however found a OC version of the Asus DirectCU II which puts it at exactly the same clocks as the Gigabyte but I am talking about almost a 20 pound difference, not sure how that translates to dollars but do you think it would be worth it just to go with the Asus card?

More than anything I was just some sort of comparison of them and whether or not the regular is just as good without the OC or without the OC it ends up being on par with other cards.

So like is Asus is not worth it, if I can't get it with a factory OC and just go with the Gigabyte instead.

Xttony

Distinguished
Don't let the product names fool you. All are the same cards with some minor tweaking that you can do yourself. What you really need to care about is heat. And from what I know both gigabyte and ASUS have good heats sinks. I like sapphire vapor x as it is better in cooling.
Anyway get a cheap card and overclock it itself also aftermarket coolers can be bought at $50 and up

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
You mean like install a custom cooler onto the card itself? I do not think I am confident enough to do that to be perfectly honest with you.

But yeah basically considering what I have said do you think I should go with the Gigabyte or the Asus?

Xttony

Distinguished
I never said install a after market cooler, I was just saying that if you really want to overclock it is better to buy a aftermarket cooler as it is much better than the stock cooler, no matter how efficient they claim to be.
And when I say overclock I mean high overclocking like from 1GHz core clock to 1.3GHz. Anyway I don't think that you will ever need to overclock it.
Since the gigabyte card is cheap I'd go with that, also the sapphire cards are cheaper than either of the two brands you are comparing.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I can get the Asus for the same price as the Gigabyte, if I were to say that to you, would tell me to get the Asus or still go with the Gigabyte?

Xttony

Distinguished
Either one. If you added sapphire in the options I'd surely go for that even if I had to pay more. Been abusing a sapihhire card for more than four years and it is still going strong.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Well the thing is, is that I do not know much about sapphire and how good they are. Plus I usually go by what is good right now, You can say to me yeah I have a Sapphire card still going strong on 4 years but a lot can happen to a company in 4 years and they might not even make the same quality so I would probably have to research some more about them.

I do believe that the Asus does have the better cooler but it would be nice if someone of greater knowledge of these nVidia cards could help me and just point me in the right direction or are both the Asus and Gigabyte COMPLETELY equal?

thedude300

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I have read on many many sites and did a lot of research before buying my GTX 670. I went with the gigabyte version. I like it's over clocking abilities and of course the cooling is great on it. The "Three fan" thing doesn't really mean much as two fans could do the same. But, i've over clocked mine to 1.3ghz and stay under 60 C at all times.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

Ah that is good to know. So I have a question, by the looks of things the Asus and Gigabyte are probably the best GTX 670s I could get, are there many reasons that you chose the Gigabyte over the Asus?

Is it the gigabyte windforce 3x ?
If it is, get the gigabyte, it has the 680 gtx pcb, it has a good cooling system with three fans, the asus advantage is in the acoustics department, but in the gigabyte is also quiet.

thedude300

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

I personally think it has better cooling as it is wind force 3 and it's very quiet. I like how as Djangoringo just said that is has the GTX 680 PCB in it. The over clocking is great, I have mine running at 1.3ghz! It runs games very well and the the newest beta update I just got a 28% boost is Assassins creed.

shingyboy

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

So does that mean basically the Asus is cooler or just that it is quieter?
Also forgive my ignorance but what does having a 680 PCB actually mean for performance? I don't even know what a PCB is.

Xttony

Distinguished

Since thedude300 said that he already overclocked the card to 1.3GHz, you should go for the gigabyte card. Do you really care about overclocking your card? If you will be overclocking the card will you be adding a cooler to it and how much will you be willing to pay for the cooler? If your budget is over $100 id suggest you go for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186067 this is one of the best coolers in the market and it doenot need a specific PCB to cool.

PCB printed circuit board is just the circuit board of the graphics card. if you open all heat sinks fan and every thing youll be left with the pcb.

Using aftermarket coolers will void your warranty in some cases(if not all). as you will have to attach your cooler to the pcb and remove the stock cooler.

The asus doesn't offer better temperatures, the gigabyte is better, for the noise, both are quiet ones.
This is the pcb : http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/gigabyte/GTX670OC/670oc-5.jpg

It's the 680 gtx pcb, with more power phases, than a normal 670 gtx pcb, overall it could mean better overclocking, and slightly better performance.
The cooler systen of both is fine, no need for watercooling.

The noise sounds a little different with the ASUS card versus the Gigabyte card. I have the Gigabyte 670 w/ the Windforce3 cooler and I never really hear it. I personally would prefer the ASUS solution however ASUS cards are typically are a little more expensive and was the case when I got my card.