Sign in with
Your question

Should i get a GTX 670 FTW or GTX 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2013 4:28:35 AM

If i'm not overclocking the graphic card, which card should i get? which one is worth more for its price?
GTX 670 EVGA FTW or GTX 680 EVGA superclocked? price difference is 62 bucks. Thanks in advance.

More about : gtx 670 ftw gtx 680

January 29, 2013 4:37:29 AM

What games will you be playing at what resolution?
January 29, 2013 4:45:36 AM

plantlet said:
What games will you be playing at what resolution?

Battlefield 3 max, Far Cry 3 max, Elder Scrolls online max, Guild wars 2 max, GTA 5 max, Crysis 3 max, Dawn of War 3 max etc.

Resolution 1900x1000.
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 4:54:07 AM

May I know the rest of your specs first?
If you don't mind for budget then go for GTX 680 Superclocked...
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 4:55:03 AM

I love my 680 Superclocked
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 4:58:47 AM

Well its hard to tell what Crysis 3 will in the end require. I ran Crysis 3 Alpha on a Gigabyte GTX670OC and this is what it looked like maxed. Also for argument sake are you open to the AMD choices?

Also, BF3 any of the high end cards will eat it for breakfeast. GTA 5 is still a maybe for the PC but should at some point I would think fingers crossed. San Andreas took a while to release to the PC that was the last one that was a maybe.

Far Cry 3 is a pretty intense game I'm still waiting to see if there is a site that has done updated benchmarks on both platforms since I know Nvidia cranked up the mojo with there latest drivers with Far Cry 3.
January 29, 2013 4:59:05 AM

wa1 said:
May I know the rest of your specs first?
If you don't mind for budget then go for GTX 680 Superclocked...

i5 3570k
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Cooler Master v6 gt
corsair 650 watt
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 Intel Z77
8gb ram ripjaw
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:01:54 AM

Yea I would imagine any single card you wanted to put in you could easily.
January 29, 2013 5:04:34 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Well its hard to tell what Crysis 3 will in the end require. I ran Crysis 3 Alpha on a Gigabyte GTX670OC and this is what it looked like maxed. Also for argument sake are you open to the AMD choices?

Also, BF3 any of the high end cards will eat it for breakfeast. GTA 5 is still a maybe for the PC but should at some point I would think fingers crossed. San Andreas took a while to release to the PC that was the last one that was a maybe.

Far Cry 3 is a pretty intense game I'm still waiting to see if there is a site that has done updated benchmarks on both platforms since I know Nvidia cranked up the mojo with there latest drivers with Far Cry 3.

You ran Crysis 3 with a very good and smooth framerate, is your OC gtx 670 better than a non OC gtx 670 ftw? I never had a AMD card before but i'll get one if it gets the job done, i was actually checking out the HIS IceQ Radeon 7850 but wasn't sure if it'll run the listed games above at max with 1900x1000 resolution.
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:08:23 AM

Well I'm not sure how my card ranks honestly with its factory overclock. I do know that the card that is regarded as the best 670 the ASUS 670 DCUII TOP card which is factory overclocked is said to be 1 percent better then the 680 which is pretty crazy. I would say if you are looking at the 7850 you should probably expect mid level performance the exception to that would be the 660Ti which gives you tid bits of higher performance and the 7870 Tahiti version.

Keep in mind that this is the ALPHA for the game. A lot can change and in fact they warned me when I played the game that it was a ALPHA and that graphics were not set in stone but it ran pretty flawlessly yes.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 5:14:15 AM

I would rather have a Power Edition over the direct cu II.. as far as looks go though. between a PE and a DCII. I like the DCII. the PE performs better tho
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:20:44 AM

Is that because you have one ;)  lol I kid. I'm not exactly sure which person you are from lavco so I'll just stop there. Both are good cards I'm not much of a graphic card overclocker I feel if you put 400 dollars into a graphics card it should be sufficient. My 670 at this point doesn't need to be overclocked what the hell for :p 

Also, I'm more of a silent pc kind of guy so that is why I also side with the directcuII cards I mean jesus compare the two.

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 5:21:34 AM

You can't buy the ASUS GTX 670 DC II top anymore due to stability problems. Still you can get the regular version, which can be overclocked very well due to the excellent cooler, the reworked PCB and the backplate that comes with it.

GTX 680 has very bad value, so stay away from that. Also if you have decent airflow in your case, then don't buy a GPU using a reference design cooler. Reference design coolers as EVGA often use tend to run way hotter than "open" coolers. It's because of the shroud that is meant to exhaust the heat of the back resulting in higher temperatures.

GTX 670 has good value according to Tomshardware.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi...

Crysis 3 open BETA gets released today and Nvidia released drivers that will give aa great bump in performance

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforc...
a c 132 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:24:03 AM

Hmm yea I thought I had found it but it seems out of stock anywhere meh the directcuII card is enough for anyone really. And the 670 is a great value its around the same performance of a stock 7970 and is at a cheaper price point its the budget high end card.

And, I'll have to give Crysis 3 beta a try today or when the 29th hits California then see if they had changed anything.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 7:58:55 AM

choose either a 670 or a 7970 Im sure you would be happy with either
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 12:47:23 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Is that because you have one ;)  lol I kid. I'm not exactly sure which person you are from lavco so I'll just stop there. Both are good cards I'm not much of a graphic card overclocker I feel if you put 400 dollars into a graphics card it should be sufficient. My 670 at this point doesn't need to be overclocked what the hell for :p 

Also, I'm more of a silent pc kind of guy so that is why I also side with the directcuII cards I mean jesus compare the two.

While I do hang around LavcoPriceTech. I am neither Lavco nor price otherwise my name would be price/lavcodpm. T since DPM is my initials I don't think it'd make since for me to be either. Good day sir.
a c 212 U Graphics card
a c 130 K Overclocking
January 29, 2013 1:13:58 PM

The Asus DCII 670 TOP is the only card ever to get a 10.0 rating from techpowerup. It also got the highest OC's I have ever seen on a 670.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670...
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_6...

The only difference between the Asus DCII and the DCII TOP is that, during early production runs, when yields were low, Asus handpicked select GPUs and sent them out to reviewers. Once the line matured, and yields increased, there was no need to handpick the GPUs as variances between individual GPUs diminished. ..... one of the reasons I typically wait 3 months before buying any new product.

Given the small price differences, I was buying the TOP version in the beginning but as supply grew short, I found I could get the same OC's out of the DCII version. I have not seen any stability issues after the initial production runs, no doubt new drivers and BIOS contributed there.

If ya don't do the Asus, I'd look at the MSI Lightning (9.8 techpowerup rating) or the PE version

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_680_Lightnin...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Ed...

You might wanna be concerned about the over volting issue with the PE editions. Though no longer made, there are likely still many units "on the shelves". You might wanna make sure that you are getting one of the newer ones or you might not case since MSI is honoring all warrantees.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvo...
!