Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Synchronisation error. Don't manage to reconnect properly ..

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:48:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I am using PC Suite (v6.6.16) to synchronise contacts and appointments
between Outlook (2003, SP1) and my Nokia 6230i (v 3.30). I am using
Bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone.

My problem is that I don?t mange to reconnect the two devices properly
after they have been disconnected, without rebooting my laptop:
When I start my computer in the morning it connects fine with my phone,
and the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be repeated without
any problem. Then, if the Bluetooth connection is broken for some reason
(ie the phone is brought out of reach of the Bluetooth dongle, or I turn
the Bluetooth off on my phone) I am not able to reconnect the phone and my
PC properly. Although PC Suite reports that it has connected to my laptop
("Nokia 6230i connected via Bluetooth") I don?t manage to do a
synchronisation. PC Sync reports "The mobile phone has not responded"

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I have been in contact with Nokia Careline but they are of course blaming
the USB dongle... The case is however that even when I don?t manage to
sync, I am able to use "My Bluetooth places" and read the content on my
phone. My conclusion is therefore that the problem is caused by PC Suite
and/or the phone!


Thanks
Boerge


--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:45:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Howdy,

Though I don't have a solution yet at hand, I can second your problem with
reconnecting the device. It seems that PC Sync is using another kind of
connection (layer) than for instance Windows XP itself. It is possible to
browse the phone contents and not being able to synchronise at the same
time.

You know for sure that to have the phone in idle mode (no menu in screen)
during sync attempts?

I solve this problem often by disabling and reenabling the built in
Bluetooth device in my laptop (by pressing a button) but sometimes the only
solution is to restart the system.

I use bluetooth WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8 on a Thinkpad A31p talking to a Nokia 6230.

You state that "the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be repeated
without any problem" is it works (stayed in reach of your BT-dongle). I
don't get PC Sync to succesfully repeat synchronization without needing to
press a button on my phone to get rid of the "status OK" screen left by the
previous Sync session. So, it does not want to Sync every 15 minutes without
user interference. Is this also the case with a 6230i? In my opinion this is
a phone problem and not a transmission problem.

You know how to determine the OS-version of the phone?

Thx'nAdv.

Success!


"Boerge" <anonymous@discussions.com> wrote in message
news:o p.svareqpkmera9v@bmpc700.civil.sintef.no...
>I am using PC Suite (v6.6.16) to synchronise contacts and appointments
>between Outlook (2003, SP1) and my Nokia 6230i (v 3.30). I am using
>Bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone.
>
> My problem is that I don?t mange to reconnect the two devices properly
> after they have been disconnected, without rebooting my laptop:
> When I start my computer in the morning it connects fine with my phone,
> and the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be repeated without
> any problem. Then, if the Bluetooth connection is broken for some reason
> (ie the phone is brought out of reach of the Bluetooth dongle, or I turn
> the Bluetooth off on my phone) I am not able to reconnect the phone and my
> PC properly. Although PC Suite reports that it has connected to my laptop
> ("Nokia 6230i connected via Bluetooth") I don?t manage to do a
> synchronisation. PC Sync reports "The mobile phone has not responded"
>
> Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
>
> I have been in contact with Nokia Careline but they are of course blaming
> the USB dongle... The case is however that even when I don?t manage to
> sync, I am able to use "My Bluetooth places" and read the content on my
> phone. My conclusion is therefore that the problem is caused by PC Suite
> and/or the phone!
>
>
> Thanks
> Boerge
>
>
> --
> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Thanks for your answer. I have given som answers in your reply below:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:45:13 +0200, Agecoat <agecoat@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Though I don't have a solution yet at hand, I can second your problem
> with
> reconnecting the device. It seems that PC Sync is using another kind of
> connection (layer) than for instance Windows XP itself. It is possible to
> browse the phone contents and not being able to synchronise at the same
> time.

I forgot to tell, but I am using Windows 2000. But what you say still
seems to be correct.

>
> You know for sure that to have the phone in idle mode (no menu in screen)
> during sync attempts?

Yes

>
> I solve this problem often by disabling and reenabling the built in
> Bluetooth device in my laptop (by pressing a button)

I have tried this, but it does not help.
I have found that if I kill the four processes that seems to have some
relation to PC Suite:

c:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe (Launch
Application)
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe (Mobile phone API)
c:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe (DataLayer
2.0 module)
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE (ServiceLayer module)

and then restarts PC Suite, I am able to sync again. (I have not tried to
kill them one-by-one)

> but sometimes the only
> solution is to restart the system.
>
> I use bluetooth WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8 on a Thinkpad A31p talking to a Nokia
> 6230.

I have WIDCOM 1.4.2.10 on a Dell Latitude C610

>
> You state that "the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be
> repeated
> without any problem" is it works (stayed in reach of your BT-dongle). I
> don't get PC Sync to succesfully repeat synchronization without needing
> to
> press a button on my phone to get rid of the "status OK" screen left by
> the
> previous Sync session. So, it does not want to Sync every 15 minutes
> without
> user interference. Is this also the case with a 6230i?

Yes, that is also how it works in my case. If I press "OK" after each sync
I can repeat the synchronisation without promblem as long as the
connection has not been broken.

The problem is that even when I have pressed OK, and the phone is in idle
mode it won't sync after beeing reconnected.

> In my opinion this is
> a phone problem and not a transmission problem.
>
> You know how to determine the OS-version of the phone?

*#0000# gives me the OS version 3.30

>
> Thx'nAdv.
>
> Success!
>
>
> "Boerge" <anonymous@discussions.com> wrote in message
> news:o p.svareqpkmera9v@bmpc700.civil.sintef.no...
>> I am using PC Suite (v6.6.16) to synchronise contacts and appointments
>> between Outlook (2003, SP1) and my Nokia 6230i (v 3.30). I am using
>> Bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone.
>>
>> My problem is that I don?t mange to reconnect the two devices properly
>> after they have been disconnected, without rebooting my laptop:
>> When I start my computer in the morning it connects fine with my phone,
>> and the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be repeated without
>> any problem. Then, if the Bluetooth connection is broken for some reason
>> (ie the phone is brought out of reach of the Bluetooth dongle, or I turn
>> the Bluetooth off on my phone) I am not able to reconnect the phone and
>> my
>> PC properly. Although PC Suite reports that it has connected to my
>> laptop
>> ("Nokia 6230i connected via Bluetooth") I don?t manage to do a
>> synchronisation. PC Sync reports "The mobile phone has not responded"
>>
>> Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
>>
>> I have been in contact with Nokia Careline but they are of course
>> blaming
>> the USB dongle... The case is however that even when I don?t manage to
>> sync, I am able to use "My Bluetooth places" and read the content on my
>> phone. My conclusion is therefore that the problem is caused by PC Suite
>> and/or the phone!
>>
>>
>> Thanks
>> Boerge
>>
>>
>> --
>> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
>
>



--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:24:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

Plse C'nB'tween

"Boerge" <anonymous@discussions.com> wrote in message
news:o p.svb16aq3mera9v@bmpc700.civil.sintef.no...
> Thanks for your answer. I have given som answers in your reply below:
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:45:13 +0200, Agecoat <agecoat@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Though I don't have a solution yet at hand, I can second your problem
>> with
>> reconnecting the device. It seems that PC Sync is using another kind of
>> connection (layer) than for instance Windows XP itself. It is possible to
>> browse the phone contents and not being able to synchronise at the same
>> time.
>
> I forgot to tell, but I am using Windows 2000. But what you say still
> seems to be correct.
>

I can't imagine this to be a problem in combination with Win2k only,
although WinXP SP2 has its own Bluetooth software available, which seems to
work well but for browsing the phones memory card, because PC Suite requires
WIDCOMM to manage the connection.

>>
>> You know for sure that to have the phone in idle mode (no menu in screen)
>> during sync attempts?
>
> Yes
>
>>
>> I solve this problem often by disabling and reenabling the built in
>> Bluetooth device in my laptop (by pressing a button)
>
> I have tried this, but it does not help.
> I have found that if I kill the four processes that seems to have some
> relation to PC Suite:
>
> c:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\LaunchApplication.exe (Launch
> Application)
> c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nokia\MPAPI\MPAPI3s.exe (Mobile phone API)
> c:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe (DataLayer
> 2.0 module)
> c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE (ServiceLayer module)
>
> and then restarts PC Suite, I am able to sync again. (I have not tried to
> kill them one-by-one)
>

I have found some trouble (message on PC screen) with Datalayer.exe after
which a could not sync anymore (even with interrupted connection). But this
occurred only a few occasions (while having more frequent reconnect
problems).

>> but sometimes the only
>> solution is to restart the system.
>>
>> I use bluetooth WIDCOMM 1.4.2.8 on a Thinkpad A31p talking to a Nokia
>> 6230.
>
> I have WIDCOM 1.4.2.10 on a Dell Latitude C610
>
>>
>> You state that "the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be
>> repeated
>> without any problem" is it works (stayed in reach of your BT-dongle). I
>> don't get PC Sync to succesfully repeat synchronization without needing
>> to
>> press a button on my phone to get rid of the "status OK" screen left by
>> the
>> previous Sync session. So, it does not want to Sync every 15 minutes
>> without
>> user interference. Is this also the case with a 6230i?
>
> Yes, that is also how it works in my case. If I press "OK" after each sync
> I can repeat the synchronisation without promblem as long as the
> connection has not been broken.
>

But because you have to press a button on the phone in between syncs, the PC
cannot repeatedly sync every 15 minutes (which is a viable setting of PC
Sync) without user interference. So you cannot forget about the phone and
still carry your updated agenda on you, even if the phone was able to
reconnect upon return to your laptop. This is caused by Nokia not thinking
about what they want to provide for their customers (or not testing what
they actually provide).

> The problem is that even when I have pressed OK, and the phone is in idle
> mode it won't sync after beeing reconnected.
>
>> In my opinion this is
>> a phone problem and not a transmission problem.
>>
>> You know how to determine the OS-version of the phone?
>
> *#0000# gives me the OS version 3.30
>

Thanx, in pressing that button sequence my phone reads V05.35 and 03-02-05
(appearently the release date). Bear in mind that I miss the 'i' on my
phone, so VGA camera and 128square screen. Apart from the mentioned
differences, I don't know what that means for either OS contents or its
release dynamics.

I'm also using PC Suite 6.6.16 by the way.

Since there is no automatic sync functionality anyway if the Nokia engineers
don't wake up and start acting (testing & modifying), the only possible
solution is to sync on IrDA with PC Sync set to sync immediately after
reconnection and wait for sofware technology to come up with a real solution
on the bluetooth part. That is, is you have an IrDA device on your laptop. I
know this solution stinks, especially because they claim Bluetooth to be
working when you purchase the phone. You should try another bluetooth dongle
or built in solution to prove them wrong.

At times the PC Suite en PC Sync think differently about being connected to
a phone or not (with IrDA). Try hovering the two system tray icons using
IrDA (creating contact and after blinding your phone). You'll see that they
think different about the connection at times. That can never be a problem
of the connection. It's just evidence of lousy testing before releasing. I
am not a tester by the way.

Succes and keep eachother posted.

>>
>> Thx'nAdv.
>>
>> Success!
>>
>>
>> "Boerge" <anonymous@discussions.com> wrote in message
>> news:o p.svareqpkmera9v@bmpc700.civil.sintef.no...
>>> I am using PC Suite (v6.6.16) to synchronise contacts and appointments
>>> between Outlook (2003, SP1) and my Nokia 6230i (v 3.30). I am using
>>> Bluetooth to connect my laptop and phone.
>>>
>>> My problem is that I don?t mange to reconnect the two devices properly
>>> after they have been disconnected, without rebooting my laptop:
>>> When I start my computer in the morning it connects fine with my phone,
>>> and the synchronisation also completes fine, and can be repeated without
>>> any problem. Then, if the Bluetooth connection is broken for some reason
>>> (ie the phone is brought out of reach of the Bluetooth dongle, or I turn
>>> the Bluetooth off on my phone) I am not able to reconnect the phone and
>>> my
>>> PC properly. Although PC Suite reports that it has connected to my
>>> laptop
>>> ("Nokia 6230i connected via Bluetooth") I don?t manage to do a
>>> synchronisation. PC Sync reports "The mobile phone has not responded"
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
>>>
>>> I have been in contact with Nokia Careline but they are of course
>>> blaming
>>> the USB dongle... The case is however that even when I don?t manage to
>>> sync, I am able to use "My Bluetooth places" and read the content on my
>>> phone. My conclusion is therefore that the problem is caused by PC Suite
>>> and/or the phone!
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Boerge
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Related resources
!