Boosting a college's wifi into a room

pwnagepanda

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hello, I'm a student at a largish university and there is a smallish room dedicated to the student chemistry society there. Many people use the room to study and to give and get tutoring. The only problem with this room is the very spotty wifi. I can get it sometimes if I'm by the window or sometimes the door if the wifi gods are happy, and just a few rooms down the wifi is reliable. The students who use the room and I could really benefit from wifi coverage in there.

Anyway I have a retired router that has stock firmware that can act as a repeater.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166064

My questions are:
1. Can this router provide a boosted wifi signal if I get it in a good position?
2. Will the internet be accessible through the router even if the university requires a login (from a browser) after connection?
3. What kind of info do I need to acquire to make this work?

Thanks for your time, I'm having a hard time finding answers, particularly to questions 2 and 3. I'm somewhat tech savvy (I built my own gaming PC) but my networking skills are pretty much limited to my own home setup and things like port forwarding.

Edit: I'm still not entirely sure I know what the difference is between a bridge and a repeater, but the router has an option for either one.