Closed Solved

Can you use a hdmi cable to connect your monitor and graphics card?

My hd 6670 ddr3 only supports dual link dvi i when my monitor only supports dl dvi d. can i use an hdmi to connect the 2? or can i only use converter boxes?

thanks for the help!
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdmi cable connect monitor graphics card
  1. Yes, you can, the necessary adapters will set you back about $15-20 for the two. Go here to find what you need -> http://www.newegg.com/Video-Adapters/SubCategory/ID-3045?Tid=19446

    p.s. Don't plan on passing audio through it (but I doubt you did).
  2. JeauxBleaux said:
    Yes, you can, the necessary adapters will set you back about $15-20 for the two. Go here to find what you need -> http://www.newegg.com/Video-Adapters/SubCategory/ID-3045?Tid=19446

    p.s. Don't plan on passing audio through it (but I doubt you did).


    All right thanks! But do I need to get a HDMI to DL DVI-I adapter as well? Or can I just plug in the HDMI to the graphics card and then to the monitor?
  3. manofchalk said:

    Got one but mine is a DL Dvi-I and my monitor supports DVI-D like the one shown in your picture. Small 5 dollar adapters don't work (I forget why) so I need a converter box which cost at least 60$, so I'm wondering if HDMIs work since I have a few.
  4. generalramen said:
    All right thanks! But do I need to get a HDMI to DL DVI-I adapter as well? Or can I just plug in the HDMI to the graphics card and then to the monitor?


    Sorry, I don't know your video card. If it has HDMI out, then of course, you should be able to use it in lieu of it's DVI port. On the other hand, it's possible that the HDMI port will be looking for a handshake from the monitor (in the event you are wanting to watch HDCP protected content), it won't get one. You can give it a try, but the dual adapter route is a fail-safe.
  5. JeauxBleaux said:
    Sorry, I don't know your video card. If it has HDMI out, then of course, you should be able to use it in lieu of it's DVI port. On the other hand, it's possible that the HDMI port will be looking for a handshake from the monitor (in the event you are wanting to watch HDCP protected content), it won't get one. You can give it a try, but the dual adapter route is a fail-safe.


    Alright I'll try it later this week thanks! BTW is the adapter (HDMI to VGA) required like JeauxBleaux said?
  6. generalramen said:
    Alright I'll try it later this week thanks! BTW is the adapter (HDMI to VGA) required like JeauxBleaux said?


    I'm pretty sure JeauxBleaux never said that (HDMI to VGA)? Where'd that come from? And BTW, there is no such adapter, VGA is analog, HDMI is digital.

    EDIT: I see someone offers such a beast, I wonder what it's for?
  7. Best answer
    generalramen said:
    Got one but mine is a DL Dvi-I and my monitor supports DVI-D like the one shown in your picture. Small 5 dollar adapters don't work (I forget why) so I need a converter box which cost at least 60$, so I'm wondering if HDMIs work since I have a few.


    DVI-I has the analog pins to support a VGA adapter AND the digital pins. DVI-D doesn't have analog. ANY DVI cable will work, you only need a dual link cable if at over 1920x1200. There is no conversion. They are designed this way intentionally. Your monitor should have come with a DVI cable and that's the correct way to hook it up.

    You're over thinking it and getting bad advice. Buy a DVI cable. Plug it in. Done.
  8. JeauxBleaux said:
    I'm pretty sure JeauxBleaux never said that (HDMI to VGA)? Where'd that come from? And BTW, there is no such adapter, VGA is analog, HDMI is digital.

    EDIT: I see someone offers such a beast, I wonder what it's for?

    Err woops... the link you sent me took me to adapters so I assumed that's what it's for?
    & yeah there's like a converter box thingy? I'm not sure if that even works... lol

    And sorry when I responded to you again I didn't realize you WERE JeauxBLeaux... awk
  9. unksol said:
    DVI-I has the analog pins to support a VGA adapter AND the digital pins. DVI-D doesn't have analog. ANY DVI cable will work, you only need a dual link cable if at over 1920x1200. There is no conversion. They are designed this way intentionally. Your monitor should have come with a DVI cable and that's the correct way to hook it up.

    You're over thinking it and getting bad advice. Buy a DVI cable. Plug it in. Done.

    ... Really? So I can plug in like any DVI cable that has some of the pins (like the DVI-D that my monitor supports) and It'll still work fine?
  10. generalramen said:
    ... Really? So I can plug in like any DVI cable that has some of the pins (like the DVI-D that my monitor supports) and It'll still work fine?


    Yes, if you just want to run a digital signal at max 1920x1200 resolution, then any good quality $8 single link DVI-D cable off of newegg would suffice.
  11. thrakazog said:
    Yes, if you just want to run a digital signal at max 1920x1200 resolution, then any good quality $8 single link DVI-D cable off of newegg would suffice.


    Just curious, how is he going to get that horizontal pin of the DVI-I (ground) to fit into the horizontal slot of the DVI-D? They are two different sizes and quite incompatible.
  12. Best answer selected by GeneralRamen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Connection Monitors HDMI Graphics Product