Best video card for 1440x900 resolution?

Hello,
I would like to know what card is the best for 1440x900 resolution gaming or even 1600x resolution. I want to max all the settings
57 answers Last reply
More about best video card 1440x900 resolution
  1. HD 7850 2GB will be able to handle all games at maximum settings, even crysis 3.
  2. I want some tips on how to clean a video card properly too.. I cleaned my inno3d gts 450 last night and it is now broken so I am looking for a card that is well sturdy. Thanks for the reply ^^
  3. What did you do? Can you post a recent image of the card?
    For beginners use air pressure to clean it or just a brush to remove the dust.
  4. I used air pump to clean the card, it was not physically damaged though after I was done cleaning my pc I reseated my gts 450 then I plugged in the hdmi connector at the back and there was no display but there is power on the card. I restarted my computer then suddenly there is a display again, when I got to my desktop the card stopped sending signals to my monitor then it sent signals again then no signal after that I got an error saying "display driver stopped etc"
  5. Xttony said:
    HD 7850 2GB will be able to handle all games at maximum settings, even crysis 3.

    No. Not it cannot.

    If you think a 7850 can do Metro 2033, let alone Crysis 3, at maximum settings on anything more than 800 x 600, you are sorely mistaken. You will be frequently under 25fps -- unplayable.
  6. Not even maxed:

  7. Yes to maxout crysis 3 sli or crossfire powerful gpu is must !
  8. ASHISH65 said:
    Yes to maxout crysis 3 sli or crossfire powerful gpu is must !

    I don't think you will *need* SLI of the top tier cards, but it would help.

    They recommend a GTX 680 or better for high settings.
  9. I heard that there will be no single gpu that will get 60fps at maxout.^ i was talking about 60fps at max.
  10. ASHISH65 said:
    I heard that there will be no single gpu that with get 60fps at maxout.^ i was talking about 60fps at max.

    That's all just speculation and fanboys and girls (like me -- I love Crysis) dreaming and hoping.

    All we know for a fact is that they recommend a GTX 680 for high settings.
  11. MatildaPersson said:
    I don't think you will *need* SLI of the top tier cards, but it would help.

    They recommend a GTX 680 or better for high settings.

    Yeah they recommend a lot of things, but often they are not true. Only a month till crysis 3 comes out just wait and see. 7850 will Be able to run crysis 3 at max at 900p.
  12. Xttony said:
    Yeah they recommend a lot of things, but often they are not true. Only a month till crysis 3 comes out just wait and see. 7850 will Be able to run crysis 3 at max at 900p.

    The 7850 won't max Crysis 3 period.

    It can't max Metro 2033. It's not going to max Crysis 3.
  13. MatildaPersson said:
    The 7850 won't max Crysis 3 period.

    It can't max Metro 2033. It's not going to max Crysis 3.

    When they max out they mean atleast on a 1440p screen or an eyefinity setup. This guy wants to game at 900p.
    Currently all games are playable on my 4850 at 900p at max settings. Completed black ops 2, assassins creed 3, battlefield 3, at max settings on a full hd display 1080p. Fps always stayed about 40-45 never below 40. And that is playable.
    I don't know why the hell you guys want to play every game at over 60fps
  14. Xttony said:
    When they max out they mean atleast on a 1440p screen or an eyefinity setup. This guy wants to game at 900p.
    Currently all games are playable on my 4850 at 900p at max settings. Completed black ops 2, assassins creed 3, battlefield 3, at max settings on a full hd display 1080p. Fps always stayed about 40-45 never below 40. And that is playable.
    I don't know why the hell you guys want to play every game at over 60fps

    No chance in Hell.

    Try to run Metro 2033 with every setting maxed and let me know when you get more than 20FPS.
  15. MatildaPersson said:
    No chance in Hell.

    Try to run Metro 2033 with every setting maxed and let me know when you get more than 20FPS.

    Been there, done that
  16. Xttony said:
    Been there, done that

    No. No you have not.

    Graphics cards much better than yours, with CPUs no doubt much better than yours, in Crossfire and SLI struggle to keep that game above 50fps. It is currently one of the most GPU demanding games on the market. Your 4850 simply cannot perform that well. This isn't speculation and this isn't open for debate. You are lying now.
  17. This is Crysis 1. Not maxed.



    Metro 2033 is significantly more taxing on a GPU than Crysis 1.
  18. MatildaPersson said:
    No. No you have not.

    Graphics cards much better than yours, with CPUs no doubt much better than yours, in Crossfire and SLI struggle to keep that game above 50fps. It is currently one of the most GPU demanding games on the market. Your 4850 simply cannot perform that well. This isn't speculation and this isn't open for debate. You are lying now.

    You keep saying that to yourself.
    Obviously you never had any experience with any old cards because if you had you'd not be talking my ears off.
    I didn't play crysis so I can't comment on those results but I have played crysis 2 at high at 1080p and my card handled it fine. Even though the temperatures rose to 120degrees and I played for atleast 4hours with out a BSOD or game crashes.
    Then my specs were i7 920 LGA1366, sapphire 4850 512MB, corsair XMS 3 1333MHz overclocked to 1600MHz 3gB in triple channel.
  19. Xttony said:
    You keep saying that to yourself.
    Obviously you never had any experience with any old cards because if you had you'd not be talking my ears off.
    I didn't play crysis so I can't comment on those results but I have played crysis 2 at high at 1080p and my card handled it fine. Even though the temperatures rose to 120degrees and I played for atleast 4hours with out a BSOD or game crashes.
    Then my specs were i7 920 LGA1366, sapphire 4850 512MB, corsair XMS 3 1333MHz overclocked to 1600MHz 3gB in triple channel.

    You can't mean fahrenheit, because it would warm up a lot more than that. But you also cannot mean celsius, because GPUs cut themselves off way before that temp or will be destroyed.

    Again, you are lying and it shows, because you don't know the hardware.
  20. Crysis 2 at 1080p at high with hd 4850 512 vram what a joke ! Haaa
  21. MatildaPersson said:
    You can't mean fahrenheit, because it would warm up a lot more than that. But you also cannot mean celsius, because GPUs cut themselves off way before that temp or will be destroyed.

    Again, you are lying and it shows, because you don't know the hardware.

    Man read the forums old cards could handle those temperature.
  22. Xttony said:
    Man read the forums old cards could handle those temperature.

    Yes, and this CPU can handle 100*c, it's still going to kill it.

    The 1GB HD 4850 only gets 21fps on max settings in Crysis 2 -- a game much less demanding than Metro 2033



    It is totally impossible for you to have played Metro 2033 on max settings. Physically impossible.
  23. I played Metro 2033 on Very High with AAA last night and got an average of 50fps (granted, it usually drops to 30fps when I'm on the surface) with my HD 6870. I average 45 in Crysis 2 on Ultra, and around 50 in Crysis 1 on Very High with no MSAA. I agree that there are better cards for 900p, and good luck if you're shooting for 60fps in all games on Ultra with MSAA. The GTX 680 can't even manage that. A more realistic goal would be 45fps in all games with or without MSAA. A GTX 660 or HD 7870 can handle that.

    Also, the Crysis 3 Open Beta started today, so fire up Origin and go to Demos and see how it runs for you! Well, provided you have a DX11 card - I think it's exclusively DX11.
  24. jessterman21 said:
    I played Metro 2033 on Very High with AAA last night and got an average of 50fps (granted, it usually drops to 30fps when I'm on the surface) with my HD 6870. I average 45 in Crysis 2 on Ultra, and around 50 in Crysis 1 on Very High with no MSAA. I agree that there are better cards for 900p, and good luck if you're shooting for 60fps in all games on Ultra with MSAA. The GTX 680 can't even manage that. A more realistic goal would be 45fps in all games with or without MSAA. A GTX 660 or HD 7870 can handle that.

    Also, the Crysis 3 Open Beta started today, so fire up Origin and go to Demos and see how it runs for you! Well, provided you have a DX11 card - I think it's exclusively DX11.

    Origin? Nooo thank you. At least Steam asks before scanning your computer lol
  25. If putting benchmarks up try to make them a little more balanced. Metro 2033 @ 2560x1440 with extra filtering is a bit of a struggle for most cards I imagine.

    It would illustrate much better if the graphs for 1920x1080 were posted at the same time as 65.5 is very playable.

    Not sure what the original poster meant by 1600, could be a couple of options there I imagine (1600x1200? but most of us like to game widescreen). Given the current resolution of 1440x900, I guess the next step up would be the common 1920x1080 (probably just as cheap as 1680x1050 now).
  26. MatildaPersson said:
    Origin? Nooo thank you. At least Steam asks before scanning your computer lol



    Why's Origin so bad? I don't use it, but I've heard a lot of hate lately. It scans your computer? Many many software titles do. Any software that updates itself does. Anyone going to bet Windows doesn't?

    And to the guy who says is GPU got up to 120 degrees and still works, was that after you OC'd it to 2 ghz? ;)
  27. Jackkend76 said:
    Why's Origin so bad? I don't use it, but I've heard a lot of hate lately. It scans your computer? Many many software titles do. Any software that updates itself does. Anyone going to bet Windows doesn't?

    And to the guy who says is GPU got up to 120 degrees and still works, was that after you OC'd it to 2 ghz? ;)

    It's just a very skeevy program that likes to gather information about you and use it for advertising and adware. Although many programs do it, none are as repugnant about it as EA's Origin *shudder*
  28. i play bf3 on ultra 1440x900 75hz vsync with 550ti sli and it does just fine when overclocked to the max the driver will let you haha
  29. 06yfz450ridr said:
    i play bf3 on ultra 1440x900 75hz vsync with 550ti sli and it does just fine when overclocked to the max the driver will let you haha

    You use Vsync? Doesn't the input lag drive you mad?
  30. MatildaPersson said:
    Yes, and this CPU can handle 100*c, it's still going to kill it.

    The 1GB HD 4850 only gets 21fps on max settings in Crysis 2 -- a game much less demanding than Metro 2033

    http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/31/IMG0031669.gif

    It is totally impossible for you to have played Metro 2033 on max settings. Physically impossible.

    I was talking about high settings(second to max settings). Also I was talking about gpu VRAM temperature. So what do you need me to do post a video?
  31. Xttony said:
    I was talking about high settings(second to max settings). Also I was talking about gpu VRAM temperature. So what do you need me to do post a video?

    Sure. You said you've "Been there and done that" to running Metro 2033 maxed, so give us a look at you doing that. ;D
  32. I would like to see that also! I had 2 4850's xfired and couldnt touch crysis 1 maxxed, played skyrim on them and gta4, and none of these games could be maxxed on those old cards. I dont know what that guy is smoking lol
  33. zpwslayer said:
    I would like to see that also! I had 2 4850's xfired and couldnt touch crysis 1 maxxed, played skyrim on them and gta4, and none of these games could be maxxed on those old cards. I dont know what that guy is smoking lol

    Your specs are quite strange. Why such a low end GPU for such an otherwise good build?

    No insults or anything. Just curious as to how that came about.
  34. Ok folks, lets all settle down a bit. I opened this page in a tab hours ago when it only had a few posts and went to bed. Then I woke up and refreshed(twice, to notice a few more posts in a few minutes). First to matilda: way to use benchmark numbers from the launch of the 7800 series. What, you couldn't find more recent numbers from mid year(the first big bump in the 7000 series performance via new drivers) or towards the end of the year(the second big bump in performance)? We are talking 1440x900, not 2560x1440(which is between 2.67 and 2.75 times more pixels). With the much lower resolution and driver updates, performance would be playable(even with a few more settings cranked). Then again, playability in this case is determined by the OP. For some, 24-30 FPS is playable. For others, 60FPS and above is a must. Some even want 120FPS and above(if they have a 120hz 3d monitor).

    My understanding is Crysis can be decently playable with a lower average and minimum fps in single player(25-30 avg, 15 min). Something like Battlefield 3 multi player is better with like 40-60+ avg and 30+ minimum. You could get a bottom of the barrel dx11 card and max a game, but it would be a slide show. You can also get a gtx690/hd7970 ghz ed (if it fits in your case). That seems kind of ridiculous for a 1440x900 screen(though I'm guessing the OP hinted at there maybe being a 1680x1050 screen in the near future). The OP didn't say what games they want to play(either certain ones or all of them). They also didn't mention any kind of budget(in a certain currency so we know what stores in which country to look at for parts and what parts might fit into the budget). Generally a more mid range card is appropriate for a 1440x900 or 1680x1050 screen.

    To xttony: you did not max out some of the latest games with a hd4850(its a decent card, but the internal limitations of dx10.1 simply do not allow max settings in some of these games with a dx11 code path available for extra features).
  35. Just finished playing about 20 minutes of the Crysis 3 Beta. Jacked everything up to max settings, but left AA completely off (so glad there are so many AA options!) and got an average of 40fps. Turning on FXAA didn't impact performance, but didn't clean up any jaggies, so I tried SMAA x2 (which looks like a combination of 2xMSAA and FXAA) and still got the same performance. SMAA x4 dropped my framerate to around 30 but looked incredible. MSAA kills your framerate and doesn't look any better than SMAA.

    Bored_Gamer, you'll be good at High-Ultra with a $200-250 card as long as you don't insist on using MSAA in every game.
  36. Since a hd7850 is generally faster than the hd6870 in you sig, do you think it would do(despite the fact it can be found for less than 200 and especially if the OP were to overclock it quite a bit)?
  37. jessterman21 said:
    Just finished playing about 20 minutes of the Crysis 3 Beta. Jacked everything up to max settings, but left AA completely off (so glad there are so many AA options!) and got an average of 40fps. Turning on FXAA didn't impact performance, but didn't clean up any jaggies, so I tried SMAA x2 (which looks like a combination of 2xMSAA and FXAA) and still got the same performance. SMAA x4 dropped my framerate to around 30 but looked incredible. MSAA kills your framerate and doesn't look any better than SMAA.

    Bored_Gamer, you'll be good at High-Ultra with a $200-250 card as long as you don't insist on using MSAA in every game.

    What is the best bang for the buck card that is within the $200-250 range?
  38. Bored_Gamer said:
    What is the best bang for the buck card that is within the $200-250 range?

    This one, definitely: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500270
  39. MatildaPersson said:
    Sure. You said you've "Been there and done that" to running Metro 2033 maxed, so give us a look at you doing that. ;D

    It's my first time uploading so the quality is bound to be bad but there are no fps drops.
    used a Logitech F710 as gaming device. Also if the game was running at 20fps it would be noticeable.
    http://youtu.be/OMrz3hWYda0

    i'll be uploading a better version tomorrow because i have only 6 hrs of free internet, with upload speed of 7KBps average.

    I cant find Metro 2033 right now but as soon as I find the DVD I'll post the video.
  40. zpwslayer said:
    I would like to see that also! I had 2 4850's xfired and couldnt touch crysis 1 maxxed, played skyrim on them and gta4, and none of these games could be maxxed on those old cards. I dont know what that guy is smoking lol

    :cry: I'm really sorry to hear that even your two cards couldn't handle skyrim at max settings. i didnt download the high resolution texture pack from bethesda but i used the one from nexus mods and played without any problems. Another thing is that you need a decent CPU for skyrim, so maybe that was your problem.
    i wont comment on GTA4 as I only played it for, like an hour and don't remember which settings the game was running.
    make sure that your processor is not bottlenecking your graphics card.
  41. Xttony said:
    It's my first time uploading so the quality is bound to be bad but there are no fps drops.
    used a Logitech F710 as gaming device. Also if the game was running at 20fps it would be noticeable.
    http://youtu.be/OMrz3hWYda0

    i'll be uploading a better version tomorrow because i have only 6 hrs of free internet, with upload speed of 7KBps average.

    I cant find Metro 2033 right now but as soon as I find the DVD I'll post the video.

    That frame rate is disgusting. You can actually count the frames ticking over when you move.

    You have zero chance in hell of running Metro 2033 maxed -- most obviously because you can't without DirectX 11.

    This is how the game is meant to run:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zti4nEVxZ6U
  42. MatildaPersson said:
    That frame rate is disgusting. You can actually count the frames ticking over when you move.

    You have zero chance in hell of running Metro 2033 maxed -- most obviously because you can't without DirectX 11.

    This is how the game is meant to run:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zti4nEVxZ6U

    Frame rates are not disgusting the video is just of low quality also I had to convert the video as the original was 200MB.
    I told that I'll be posting a better quality video tomorrow as my free Internet time has expired for today.
  43. Xttony said:
    Frame rates are not disgusting the video is just of low quality also I had to convert the video as the original was 200MB.
    I told that I'll be posting a better quality video tomorrow as my free Internet time has expired for today.

    I'm really, really looking forward to how you're going to max out Metro 2033 without DX11. Really.

    Be sure to include a frame counter. "Been there, done that," right? ;D
  44. Bored_Gamer, the best bang for the buck card from 200-250 is this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Five bucks more than that gtx660, but notably faster. This 7870 can be overclocked to good effect, while gtx660s generally suck at overclocking. The only issue you might have is space(this hd7870 is 11.69 inches long). Hope this helps.
  45. I had 2 nvidia cards before and both are now broken. I read some stuff about ATI cards and some people say that they are having problems with the ATI cards. I am choosing between 660non ti or 7870.
  46. hmmm 1440x900 minimum i say is a gtx 690/7990
  47. Troll much xD
  48. the above mentioned zotac 660 2gb and the his 7870 2gb are the best cards for under $250 which let you play ALL games on MAX settings with comfortable frame rates at upto 1600*900.
    however if and when you upgrade to a 1080p monitor then you will need to lower some of the settings and effects to achieve the same frame rates.
    i myself own a 7750 which is less than half as powerful as a 7870 and it still lets me playmost games on high settings at 1440*900.
    so a 660 and 7870 would be great options for you for now and in future when you get a full hd monitor
  49. jtenorj said:
    Bored_Gamer, the best bang for the buck card from 200-250 is this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161404&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Five bucks more than that gtx660, but notably faster. This 7870 can be overclocked to good effect, while gtx660s generally suck at overclocking. The only issue you might have is space(this hd7870 is 11.69 inches long). Hope this helps.

    It's true - that one is a great deal, but good luck fitting it in your case. You should be fine as long as you have 12 inches of clearance and 3 slots free.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming Resolution Graphics Product