Sign in with
Your question

Being a Nvidia man, what to do, what to do.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2013 8:14:00 AM

Hello

I recently sold my MSI GTX660Ti card (got a good price for it) so i decided i might aswell upgrade while im at it.
It first i was dead set on getting a GTX670 card, but the site i usually order stuff from has a sale on Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz 3GB GDDR5 (Vapor-X Ghz Edition) so the price is the same. GTX670 editions like "Superclocked" or "MSI Power ED" or Zotac AMP! etc is actually more expensive than the 7970ghz ed.

Any thoughts?
I've always gone for Nvidia cards, haven't really payed any attention to Radeon, but it's dumb of me to not always go for the better options.

More about : nvidia man

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 8:22:32 AM

If you're a fanboy, you're a fanboy I guess. The numbers speaks for itselves. To quote another answer from a forum member:

Quote:

Nvidia GTX 670:
- Pure gaming card with high 3d capability
- Acceleration in CUDA and OpenCL -- CUDA and OpenCL lets your GPU compute stuff instead of your CPU and get the work done much more quickly (like some media/content creation apps and some games will take advantage of this in the future))
- Relatively low power consumption
- Price much cheaper than that of a GTX 680 but can reach the same level of performance
- Potential to overclock
- In some games better than HD 7970
- Integrated GPU Physx engine, 3d support, bundled games etc

AMD HD 7970:
- Very strong gaming card with strong compute capability in OpenCL acceleration (often faster than Nvidia cards in OpenCL computing)
- Some higher power consumption compared to GTX 670
- High potential for overclocking with a custom cooler. Same PCB and same specifications with 7970 Ghz Edition. Theoretically you can reach at and well beyond the performance level of Ghz edition and GTX 680, IF YOU OVERCLOCK
- In some games better than GTX 670
- Higher memory bandwidth
- Good multi monitor support
- 3d support (i don't know which card is better at this)

At last, this is all about what you want to do with your PC. If mostly gaming, choose whichever you can find cheaper. If you have choice of games you want to play, then pay attention which card performs better at those. Finally, you can't go wrong whichever you choose

Personally I've would have waited to sell your 660ti and bought me one from the new series that are expected to come out in Q2 2013.
a c 181 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2013 8:32:28 AM

Wait till april and get new series gpu
Related resources
January 29, 2013 8:32:35 AM

Mahisse said:

Personally I've would have waited to sell your 660ti and bought me one from the new series that are expected to come out in Q2 2013.

That was the plan but i got offered the same amount as i purchased the card for myself (even got to keep borderlands2) so i just went for it.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 8:35:31 AM

Get the asus DCUII 670 and overclock it to all hell. Much quicker than a 680 if you want to go with nvidia and like their feature set.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 8:40:43 AM

jarlsuki said:
That was the plan but i got offered the same amount as i purchased the card for myself (even got to keep borderlands2) so i just went for it.

Well if it's still the plan to buy a new card when they come out I think it's a no brainer. Just go for the cheapest as it will be a placeholder... But I see your dilemma, I would have had a hard time to choose as well but I think I would go with the 7970 unless you really want the physX ability of course.
January 29, 2013 8:41:28 AM

darth pravus said:
Get the asus DCUII 670 and overclock it to all hell. Much quicker than a 680 if you want to go with nvidia and like their feature set.

It's ~$100 more than the 7970ghz ed though, and ~$20 more than Gainward GeForce GTX 680 2GB PhysX CUDA.
Is it worth it? My site = http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=761094
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 8:51:50 AM

That is the 4gb version. Look for the 2gb one as the 4gb isn;t worth it.

Also get a normal 7970 over a ghz edition one and overclock it if you go down that route.
January 29, 2013 11:20:14 AM

Asus DCUII 670 looks just great, but what about the Zotac 670 AMP! card? Seems to be just that 1-2% higher on benchmarks and costs $35 less.
Does it have any other negative sides? I did notice that it takes up 3 slots.

Not that it's a major thing, but the Zotac card also comes with all Assassins Creed 3 + AC 3-game pack.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 11:30:24 AM

Nothing wrong with the zotac card. Performance difference don't really exists when all is overclocked.

The asus is cooler and quieter. I can't hear mine and it's never broken 60c
January 29, 2013 11:32:56 AM

I think im getting either the Asus or Zotac 670card then.
Thanks for the tips : )
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 11:48:18 AM

No problems. You wont be disappointed
!