Setting up Triple Screens

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Presently my Dell Inspiron 546 has an, AMD Phenom(tm) II x3 710 processor 2.60GHz with 4.00 GB of RAM running a ATI Radeon HD 4350 graphics card. I would like to set up triple screens for SIM racing on rFactor but unsure of the best graphics card to get.

My local computer shop has these cards in stock, XFX R7750, XFX R7770 or XFX R7850 but unsure which one would be best suited to the above CPU. Budget is okay for any of the three?

They also have these two monitors to choose from, LG E2342T or a LG IPS234V to go with my present Acer X233H monitor and wonder if anyone has any advise on best versus price?

Lastly I have read that I will also need an active adaptor, so could someone please tell me which one to order for use with the above?

Xttony

Distinguished
I'd say go for a sapphire flex edition hd 7770. Flex edition cards are made for multiple screen support. Hd7850 is also a good option as it doesnot cost much more than the 7770 but your processor will bottleneck a higher end gpu.
As you are not planning any games the Hd 7770 flex is the card for you.

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Sorry I'm a complete novice when it comes to computers.

Is the "sapphire flex edition hd 7770. Flex" the same as the XFX R7770 and if not will the XFX do the same? I'm after getting the stuff this afternoon from Local shop rather than ordering and didn't see any Sapphire suff on the shelf.

Xttony

Distinguished

Why does every one hate display port so much? Any specific problem? Haven't used it myself.

The cables cost more. I have a monitor hooked up with DP and have no issues with it. If you want to spend a little more on a DP cable and minidp>DP adapater (if your card doesn't come with it) then go ahead.

Display port is great(it does everything needed and is royalty free so should actually be cheaper), but not all monitors yet have the plug for it.

The avoiding of an adapter is just because it has to be active(or it may not work right). What happens in AMD only has so many transmitters(4) for DVI/HDMI. the normal config was 2 x dual link DVI(so 2 for each), but that means you loose the HDMI port when running both the DVI ports(Or you can run DVI + HDMI[HDMI only uses 1 link afaik, but still]). So you HAVE to use display port.

By making one of the 2 DVI ports(on the FLEX cards) a single link only(1920 x 1200 MAX), you can use DVI + DVI + HDMI at the same time.

This does not have anything to do with DP it self, just that AMD only has so many links for DVI/HDMI.

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Yes, there was a picture of three screens in use on the rear of the XFX R7750 and R7770. Will visit local shop tomorrow and probably purchase the XFX R7770 as well as order an active adaptor.

Thanks very much for everyone's assistance.

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I'll be using three 23" 1920 x 1080 monitors so whatever settings best suits those resolutions.

I wont be playing any other games, other than rFactor as I'm part of a small group of like minded guys (MSR Events) that race on line every Friday evening. Have really got into it so just want to add to the realism and hopefully get better. As I'm a computer numpty I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can, as well as learn something along the way.

By the way, I expected the link to take me to a video of triple screen racing but no joy?

What I was trying to get at with the link is that one of the fastest stock cards on the planet only averaged 42fps. The 7770 is two full tiers down the GPU performance ladder so you just need to be aware that you'll likely have to turn down some of the eye candy.

Just expectation management. Seem to be a lot of people who post here wondering why they can't run games maxed with lower end GPUs.

Let us know how it goes! Nothing like feedback to make us all wiser :)

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Update just to let everyone have a tut, tut!! At my expense :(

I bought the XFX 7780 in the end, then found I have no 6 point connectors from my PSU. Only spare connectors are 2 x SATA so now have to look for a new unit. Lesson learnt any recommendations for any other upgrades I'll need to run above card as well as a decent PSU?

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Sorry, my mistake I bought an XFX 7850 and it requires two x 6 point connectors :(

I'm trying to decide between going back to the shop and asking to change the above card to an 7770. Then using an adaptor from the two SATA plugs to a 6 point connector. Or upgrading my present computer to accept the 7850, if so, apart from a new PSU what else would I need to do?

I assume your system is NOT slimline/SFF right.

The requirement would be a new power supply. Other things like board + cpu would help overall performance, but are not required to use a new card.

Honestly, Any quality(seasonic/antec/ocz/corsair/fsp*/XFX/ect <- Ensure it has the plugs needed and you should be good to go) 500-550 watt power supply will run your system with ease(and power to spare).

*some users do not like that SOME fsp units lack a built in surge protector(MOV). While this sucks, a good power bar with protection will overcome this limitation.

Xttony

Distinguished

Make sure that there enough wattage and amps and get the Sata to 6 pin connectors

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I thought you needed 2 x SATA plugs to one 6 point connector? If I can get one SATA plug to one 6 connector then that would be great :bounce:

I 'll go and check my wattage now, fingers crossed it good enough :eek:

Wrighty 437

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Decided to put computer back together (only removed card) and bloody thing won't turn on now :( Power supply getting there as the green light is on at the rear but nothing after that. Will now have to take it apart again to see if I have dislodged a plug somewhere :(