My GPU upgrade

tunkeytrunks

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if it was necessary to uninstall my drivers.
I'm not going from ATi/AMD to nVidia, I'm going from a Radeon HD 6750 to a 7850.
I've heard tales of people simply making the swap and installing the latest drivers with no prob.

Will uninstalling all old AMD software through Catalyst manager, then making the swap, then installing the New Catalyst work?
Thanks.

tenaciousk

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Getting started
Uninstalling the actual graphics card

Uninstall the actual card by entering the control panel > system > Hardware > Device Manager > Display adapters.
Scroll to the actual graphical card.
Then right-click and select Uninstall.
This will uninstall all drivers and the card from the list of hardware installed on your PC.

This step is prior to the physical removal of a stand alone graphics card, but for an integrated graphic chipset (IGP) follow the procedure at the end of this tip.
Removing the old graphics card and installing a new one

Unplug the power supply and all cables connected at the rear panel.
Remove the side panel to access the motherboard.
It is recommended that you verify your new graphical card has a dedicated power connector,
Also check that your power supply is equipped with the proper outlet and adapters needed.
Remove the screws holding your graphics card, then push or unlock the locking system at the rear of the PCI-Express or AGP slot.
Smoothly remove the card.

Precautions

Remember to discharge static electricity (just touch the pipe or a radiator valves).
Remove the screws holding your card in the PC box, then push or unlock the locking system at the rear of the PCI-Express or AGP (most motherboards have a system which prevents the graphics card connector is dislocated, each manufacturer has its own solution, refer to the motherboard manual for details).
Remove the card, without excessive force (it is often easier to place the box flat for this).

Install your new card

Gently insert the card into the PCI Express / AGP pressing both hands, again without excessive force.
Put the screws card / box and close the system unit.
Reconnect the PC and all peripherals.

Installing drivers

Windows will detect the new card and ask you for the drivers.
Click Cancel until the dialog box stops appearing and a message appears indicating that "a problem occurred during installation and the device may not function normally".
No need to stress, this is normal.
Insert the driver CD that comes with the new card or download the latest versions on the internet.
Nvidia driver downloads
ATi driver downloads
Start the installation and follow the instructions.
Once the installation is complete, restart the computer, even if no dialog box prompts you to.
If the screen resolution has changed, right-click on the desktop and then go to the menu Properties-> Settings. Adjust the resolution now.