HD Radeon 7970 not working?

mike512

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello,

I just bought a HD Radeon 7970 from Novatech. I've plugged it in fine and everything yet all I get is a black screen. The fans spin, so power is going to it. I checked that the graphics card is compatible with my motherboard (a gigabyte 78lmt-usb3) and everything checks out. I plugged a monitor in through the motherboard and checked the device manager and it doesn't seem to be there, even after installing the drivers. Anyone know what else I can try?

"I plugged a monitor in through the motherboard and checked the device manager and it doesn't seem to be there, even after installing the drivers."

Since the on-board graphics adapter is still usable with the Radeon card installed, that suggests the on-board adapter hasn't been disabled in the BIOS settings. It's usually disabled automatically when an alternative graphics card is detected in one of the PCI/PCI-Express slots, but on your PC it may have to be disabled manually.

Plug the monitor into the Radeon card, restart and go into BIOS Setup
Disable on-board video, then be sure to "Save to CMOS and Exit (F10).
The Radeon card should then work.

mike512

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Just tried it out, still nothing is coming up on screen. With the previous graphics card, the display came up fine. When I plug in to the new one, I don't get anything from the get-go - no load-up screen, BIOS settings etc.