6680 disappearing signal

Last response: in Brands
August 11, 2005 4:36:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

I'm getting a problem with my 6680 (Orange custom/bastard-ised;
firmware 3.04.35 12-05-05 RM-36) which has happened on a couple of
occasions now. I lose the network signal on the phone completely with
no warning, which is obviously a bit irritating as I miss all my calls
without knowing the phones not working (everything else is working
fine). Now the weird thing is that I *know* that I should be getting a
full (all bars lit) 3G signal. Furthermore, when I manually search for
the network I can see the Orange network signal, but it won't let me
register on the network. Switching the phone on and off again cures the
problem for a while. It's almost like it's taking itself into offline
(flight) mode.

Is anyone else with a 6680 getting this? Any ideas what's causing it,
or is this another this to wait for a firmware fix for?

Ta!
August 11, 2005 2:07:20 PM

"cool_and_funky" <cool_and_funky@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm getting a problem with my 6680 (Orange custom/bastard-ised;
> firmware 3.04.35 12-05-05 RM-36) which has happened on a couple of
> occasions now. I lose the network signal on the phone completely with
> no warning, which is obviously a bit irritating as I miss all my calls
> without knowing the phones not working (everything else is working
> fine). Now the weird thing is that I *know* that I should be getting a
> full (all bars lit) 3G signal. Furthermore, when I manually search for
> the network I can see the Orange network signal, but it won't let me
> register on the network. Switching the phone on and off again cures the
> problem for a while. It's almost like it's taking itself into offline
> (flight) mode.
>
> Is anyone else with a 6680 getting this? Any ideas what's causing it,
> or is this another this to wait for a firmware fix for?
>
> Ta!

That is funny, because I have been having the exact same problem with my
Nokia 1100 phone on orange. I don't use it a great deal but tend to leave it
on constantly. I am recently finding that when I pick it up after not having
used it for half a day or more there is no signal, but my wife, also with
Orange (but a different phone) has a string signal. If I switch the phone
off and on agai it comes back with full strength signal. I wondered if the
phone was faulty or the Network was rejecting the connection after being
inactive for a certain period of time?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:27:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

I had the same problem and I reported it with Orange. They said it was because I'm in an coverage hole and they're
experiencing problems with the hand-over back down to GSM. I find if I tell the phone to only use GSM it works fine but
obviously defeats the object of having a 3G phone. I'm gonna give them another call, see what can be done. Glad it's not just
me having this problem. :(