Newly built computer boots and runs very slow

tssantil

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hello, I have recently built my first PC and it worked great for about 2 days and then it suddenly began to run VERY slow, like out of the blue. I went to restart it and i got the "windows is shutting down" message for about 10 minutes before I had to shut it down manually. I then tried to turn it back on and it took literally about 100 times longer than it should. When i finally get on, everything runs extremely slow and constantly freezes up so I cannot accomplish anything.
I have an asus m5a97 motherboard and an AMD FX 8-core processor black edition processor with 2x4 gb of ram, a 1tb harddrive and windows 7 home premium operating system. (also have 2 radeon hd 6770 graphics cards crossfired together, I dont think that has anything to do with it though)
I had very little knowledge of building computers when I built this (still do for that matter) so it could be something very simple (I'm hoping). Any help on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Try running in safe mode. You may be infected in that short amount of up time !

tssantil

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
i cant seem to even log into windows anymore, i got as far as putting in my password but then it just sits there forever, ive waited as long as 45 minutes trying to wait for windows to load. When i tried starting in safe mode, after about a half hour i finally got to the black screen with "safe mode" in each corner but from there, nothing.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
which 1tb HDD do you have?

very slow boot can often be caused by using a 5900 RPM hdd as an OS drive.
these drives are only suited to be used as a slow access data drive.

otherwise i would try a reload of windows and reinstall your drivers then straight away install an antivirus program.

Remove RAM sticks. Try booting with one, then, the other.