Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best 670 to pick? help me!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Asus
  • Gigabyte
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 29, 2013 3:08:27 PM

Hello everyone,
I can't choose between the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC or the GTX 670 ftw edition, or maybe the ASUS one?
I want to overlock, or maybe should I pick the 7970?
help me please!! D:

thanks :D 

More about : 670 pick

a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 3:24:34 PM

chimpbagel said:
Hello everyone,
I can't choose between the Gigabyte GTX 670 OC or the GTX 670 ftw edition, or maybe the ASUS one?
I want to overlock, or maybe should I pick the 7970?
help me please!! D:

thanks :D 


If you want to overclock the 7970 (GHz or not) is the obvious choice. Stock 7970's run at 925/1375. Mine runs at 1210/1840! I get a 27%+ performance increase. It is often about 75% as strong as 670 SLI!

As for which 670 (If you have to get Nvidia): Get the cheapest one, and don't pay more than $340.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 3:36:09 PM

CaptainTom said:
If you want to overclock the 7970 (GHz or not) is the obvious choice. Stock 7970's run at 925/1375. Mine runs at 1210/1840! I get a 27%+ performance increase. It sometimes comes close to or beats 670 SLI!

As for which 670 (If you have to get Nvidia): Get the cheapest one, and don't pay more than $320.


1 Radeon 7970 will NEVER beat GTX 670 in SLI. Just because you overclock by 27% doesn't mean performance increase of 27%.

GTX 670 by Windforce 3x by Gigabyte or GTX 670 Direct Cu II by ASUS would be obvious choices. They come with the best coolers. ASUS GTX 670 comes with a backplate, which will provide better overclocking, it's the most silent GTX 670 there is and the PCB is 100% reworked by ASUS which is supposed to make it better then reference design PCBs. It's one of the most expensive ones, but also the best in my book.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:25:02 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
1 Radeon 7970 will NEVER beat GTX 670 in SLI. Just because you overclock by 27% doesn't mean performance increase of 27%.

GTX 670 by Windforce 3x by Gigabyte or GTX 670 Direct Cu II by ASUS would be obvious choices. They come with the best coolers. ASUS GTX 670 comes with a backplate, which will provide better overclocking, it's the most silent GTX 670 there is and the PCB is 100% reworked by ASUS which is supposed to make it better then reference design PCBs. It's one of the most expensive ones, but also the best in my book.


A few things:

-I didn't say a 27% overclock equals 27% more performance. I said my overclock (Which is clearly more than 27% math whiz) gets me 27% more performance.

-Many 7970 GHz can get to 1300/1800 and I have seen websites report performance increases by as much as 35%

-I shouldn't have said stronger (I edited it). But they are often 75% as strong as seen here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/07-Cr...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/02-Un...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/19-To...

-Really, you are going to advise he pay prices that are above a 7970 GHz for a WEAKER card? That's like paying $160 for a super HD 7770 when a GTX 650 ti is $140. Total nonsense. The fact is a 670 isn't a bad deal if the price is right. However that price should be <$350 or a 7950/7970 makes much more sense...
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 5:42:05 PM

CaptainTom said:
A few things:

-I didn't say a 27% overclock equals 27% more performance. I said my overclock (Which is clearly more than 27% math whiz) gets me 27% more performance.

-Many 7970 GHz can get to 1300/1800 and I have seen websites report performance increases by as much as 35%

-I shouldn't have said stronger (I edited it). But they are often 75% as strong as seen here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/07-Cr...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/02-Un...

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/19-To...

-Really, you are going to advise he pay prices that are above a 7970 GHz for a WEAKER card? That's like paying $160 for a super HD 7770 when a GTX 650 ti is $140. Total nonsense. The fact is a 670 isn't a bad deal if the price is right. However that price should be <$350 or a 7950/7970 makes much more sense...


Bad benchmarks to support your theory. GTX 670 is not far behind the 7970 Ghz, it's actually quite close. So 7970 Ghz ed. will never beat GTX 670 in SLI.

I would choose a GTX 670 over Radeon 7970 Ghz edition any day, unless I were to play on higher resolution than 1920x1080.

Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. also consumes 250+watt while GTX 670 only consumes 170 watt.

TXAA, PhysX and adaptive vsync also comes with GTX 670, remember that. PhysX and TXAA doesn't mean so much, but adaptive vsync does. It get rids of screen tearing and lockups, which all the AMD GPUs suffer from.
January 29, 2013 6:05:42 PM

Well, go for the Gigabyte 670 Windforce, the PCB is from 680.
What i don't like at Asus 670 is that it has half of it's memory chips on the back side, which means they don't get cooled like the ones on the front (no vent to blow air on them).
I got a 7950 and i wish i had bought a 670, AMD has that frame latencies inconsistence.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 9:29:21 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Bad benchmarks to support your theory. GTX 670 is not far behind the 7970 Ghz, it's actually quite close. So 7970 Ghz ed. will never beat GTX 670 in SLI.

I would choose a GTX 670 over Radeon 7970 Ghz edition any day, unless I were to play on higher resolution than 1920x1080.

Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. also consumes 250+watt while GTX 670 only consumes 170 watt.

TXAA, PhysX and adaptive vsync also comes with GTX 670, remember that. PhysX and TXAA doesn't mean so much, but adaptive vsync does. It get rids of screen tearing and lockups, which all the AMD GPUs suffer from.



Bad benchmarks?

-I listed Crysis 2 (A Nvidia "Way it's meant to be played" game) in 1080p. If anything that is Nvida biased.

-I listed Ugine Heaven in 1080p with x4 AA. That is completely fair.

-I listed the average framerates for games at extreme presets.

Ok so I think we can all agree those benchmarks are completely fair.


Other things:

-Also I SAID: "The 7970 GHz is 75% as strong as 670 SLI." Read what I said and PROVED.
-250watts? My 7970 uses 223w on FULL load on FURMARK while fully overclocked. I measured it!
-Yes the 7970 GHz uses more power, but it is STRONGER. Check the Tomshardare GPU hierarchy. It is Two tiers ahead.
-TXAA is used in like 2 games.
-Physx is a gimic used ("Well") in 2 games
-Adaptive V-sync doesn't stop tearing. Vsync does. Everyone has it. Adaptive just makes it turn off below 60 so you get tearing. Yayyyy!
-All AMD GPU's DON'T tear and lock up. LOL nice fanboy statement.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 9:31:55 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/390404-15-crysis-op...

GTX 670 is better in Crysis 3. :) 


You have just proven that nothing you say is worth reading. You are referencing a game THAT IS NOT OUT YET!

OP forget this guy. If you want a 670, that's fine. Just only pay $340 or it is a rip off. If you want me to explain why, I will. Oh and I will back everything up with facts unlike some people...
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 5:15:10 AM

CaptainTom said:
Bad benchmarks?

-I listed Crysis 2 (A Nvidia "Way it's meant to be played" game) in 1080p. If anything that is Nvida biased.

-I listed Ugine Heaven in 1080p with x4 AA. That is completely fair.

-I listed the average framerates for games at extreme presets.

Ok so I think we can all agree those benchmarks are completely fair.


Other things:

-Also I SAID: "The 7970 GHz is 75% as strong as 670 SLI." Read what I said and PROVED.
-250watts? My 7970 uses 223w on FULL load on FURMARK while fully overclocked. I measured it!
-Yes the 7970 GHz uses more power, but it is STRONGER. Check the Tomshardare GPU hierarchy. It is Two tiers ahead.
-TXAA is used in like 2 games.
-Physx is a gimic used ("Well") in 2 games
-Adaptive V-sync doesn't stop tearing. Vsync does. Everyone has it. Adaptive just makes it turn off below 60 so you get tearing. Yayyyy!
-All AMD GPU's DON'T tear and lock up. LOL nice fanboy statement.


Vsync solves screen tearing, because screen tearing occurs whenever the FPS goes above the refresh rate of the screen. But whenever the FPS drops below the refresh rate of the screen while using normal vsync the FPS will lock at a much lower FPS.

Example: 60 HZ screen. FPS drops below 60 during an intensive fight. Then the FPS will lock in at 30, even though actual FPS might be at 58 and when it drops below 30, then it will lock in at 15, again even though the actual FPS might be at 25.

Just listen to Linus, if you don't trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAiPmazmR_M - Adaptive vsync explanation.

PhysX is in more than 20 games

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/PhysX/pc-g...

TXAA is in more than 2 games

Assassins Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, Crysis 3, The Secret World and I'm positive there is a few more.

Crysis 3 is out, there is an open BETA and AMD GPUs simply isn't optimized for the game. CF isn't even supported yet, even though it's running on a well known engine.

You didn't say anything about "75% performance of GTX 670 SLI", you said Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. was almost close to beat them.

You didn't measure anything. If you look at the benchmarks then they don't support your statement.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-e... - 7970 Ghz ed. power consumption.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 10:03:22 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Vsync solves screen tearing, because screen tearing occurs whenever the FPS goes above the refresh rate of the screen. But whenever the FPS drops below the refresh rate of the screen while using normal vsync the FPS will lock at a much lower FPS.

Example: 60 HZ screen. FPS drops below 60 during an intensive fight. Then the FPS will lock in at 30, even though actual FPS might be at 58 and when it drops below 30, then it will lock in at 15, again even though the actual FPS might be at 25.

Just listen to Linus, if you don't trust me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAiPmazmR_M - Adaptive vsync explanation.

PhysX is in more than 20 games

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/PhysX/pc-g...

TXAA is in more than 2 games

Assassins Creed 3, Batman: Arkham City, Crysis 3, The Secret World and I'm positive there is a few more.

Crysis 3 is out, there is an open BETA and AMD GPUs simply isn't optimized for the game. CF isn't even supported yet, even though it's running on a well known engine.

You didn't say anything about "75% performance of GTX 670 SLI", you said Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. was almost close to beat them.

You didn't measure anything. If you look at the benchmarks then they don't support your statement.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6025/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-e... - 7970 Ghz ed. power consumption.



I don't have time to fact check all your BS again. The fact is I siad all that needs to be said. However:

-Most games don't drop from 60 to 30 with vsync on. I have only seen BL2 and Crysis 3 do this. And believe me there are a few games I play where vsync is on and my framerate hovers around 50-60 FPS.

-Screen tearing occurs at any framerate without vsync on. I know because it can annoy the *** out of me. I always leave Vsync on.

-I played the Crysis 3 beta last night and it looks like ***. I maxed everything out in the settings but Metro: 2033 looks better to me. Also SLI doesn't work on Crysis 3 (A widespread and well known issue so nice job "forgetting" to mention that). Also the game has horrible optimization when it comes to AA (Yes on both kinds of cards fanboys).


So I am done here. This thread needs to be closed and Idk what you are trying to prove. The 7970 GHz is the strongest single GPU card out now and that is just a fact. It should be no surprise that it is 75% as strong as 670 SLI since it is two tiers higher than the 670 and overclocks more. I am done responding. Have fun fanboys!
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:30:54 AM

CaptainTom said:
I don't have time to fact check all your BS again. The fact is I siad all that needs to be said. However:

-Most games don't drop from 60 to 30 with vsync on. I have only seen BL2 and Crysis 3 do this. And believe me there are a few games I play where vsync is on and my framerate hovers around 50-60 FPS.

-Screen tearing occurs at any framerate without vsync on. I know because it can annoy the *** out of me. I always leave Vsync on.

-I played the Crysis 3 beta last night and it looks like ***. I maxed everything out in the settings but Metro: 2033 looks better to me. Also SLI doesn't work on Crysis 3 (A widespread and well known issue so nice job "forgetting" to mention that). Also the game has horrible optimization when it comes to AA (Yes on both kinds of cards fanboys).


So I am done here. This thread needs to be closed and Idk what you are trying to prove. The 7970 GHz is the strongest single GPU card out now and that is just a fact. It should be no surprise that it is 75% as strong as 670 SLI since it is two tiers higher than the 670 and overclocks more. I am done responding. Have fun fanboys!


SLI optimization was within the latest Nvidia drivers that got released the day before the BETA opened. Though I've heard Crossfire doesn't work.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforc...

What I'm trying to do is to help the OP. And you haven't done that by being misleading. :non: 

GTX 670 has performance slightly below Radeon 7970 http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-revi.... Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. is just an overclocked Radeon 7970. GTX 670 overclocks quite well too, though Nvidia doesn't allow tweaking with the voltages, because they don't want their customers to kill their GPUs. AMD does no such thing, AMD's marketing lives of the capability to overclock as you want.

I have never said that Radeon 7970 Ghz ed. isn't the fastest single GPU. Though I have said I would only consider it, if using resolutions above 1920x1080 or on multiple screens.
!