HIS Radeon 6870 Very High temps.

Balian316

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
This has actually been like this for like a year now but I never paid much attention until now. My HIS Radeon 6870 idles at 50c and when playing games it usually goes to 96c to 103c. I know that has too be bad thought it has never shutdown or caused any gameplay problems.

Two days ago I took off the heatsink and replaced the thermal compound, it also gets plenty of airflow but the temps are the same. Is there any reason that im not seeing that it could be getting that hot?

Balian316

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah I cleaned everything I usually do once a month, the fan on the card is spinning I have it set at 85% I have 4 fans in the side of the tower one right over the card's intake. The card isn't overclocked, I even tried underclocking it and it didn't make much of a difference.

Kari

Splendid
maybe the cooler isnt making proper contact with the chip, too low contact pressure or something. Would it be possible to use some non-conductive washers on the heatsink screws to make it tighter (maybe the screws are bottoming out without actually pushing down on the gpu)