Sign in with
Your question

Programs in Windows 7 won\'t start/load/run

Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2012 8:56:02 PM

I was on the internet using my laptop when it just quit and shut down. Now I have this problem with progams not loading. I cannot load most of my programs from either icons or start menu, I am only able to get on the internet with IE 64 bit loaded from the start menu.
I haven't downloaded or made any changes. I seldom use this computer for anything but email and internet access. Any ideas about what's going on with this?
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 9:02:19 PM

That is usually as a result of malware/viruses.

Sometimes, but rarely, Windows System Restore will fix that; You can try that.

Do you have an antivirus software installed?
You can use Malwarebytes Free and run it in Windows Safe Mode: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
m
l
March 20, 2012 9:09:58 PM

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I tried System Restore and it didn't fix the problem. Also I can't open my anti virus or malwarebytes, nor can I install or uninstall programs. Thanks again...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 9:12:53 PM

Did you try Safe Mode?
m
l
March 20, 2012 9:20:13 PM

Yes, but I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 9:22:26 PM

Malwarebytes should be able to run in Safe Mode
m
l
March 20, 2012 9:29:52 PM

You should download Superantispyware free and give it a go. it should be able to do something.
m
l
March 22, 2012 3:10:29 AM

Can't load or download any programs even in safe mode.
m
l
April 1, 2012 5:07:42 PM

I ended up formatting and then loading malwarebytes and spybot. Both caught some malware and deleted it. But one of them, smitfruad-C.generic won't let these programs delete it.
m
l
September 26, 2012 2:12:07 PM

My laptop has developed the same problem but it's intermittent. Sometimes when I boot up I can load programs and sometimes I can't. I've just doubled the RAM in case 2GB wasn't enough to run Win 7 but the problem persists with 4Gb. Is it likely to be a virus that kicks in sometimes but not at others ?
m
l
!