Build Your Own PVR

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
December 20, 2004 10:12:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Why Tivo When you can Freevo?

http://www.byopvr.com/

More about : build pvr

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:42:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <945fs01dbkg4ahvc7c36gbhe4l4tgq65o7@4ax.com>, Ablang
<HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?

For the same reason I drive a car into town instead of ride a horse.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 3:03:08 PM

Ablang wrote:
> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>
> http://www.byopvr.com/

Checking the links but on this forum it's Why TIVO when you can REPLAY

I have put the necessary hardware into my best desktop to make it act
like a video recorder and I will tell you it works great, HOWEVER I
truly like the way scheduling is done on the Replay.

On the replay I can, for example, tell it to record all episodes of
ALIAS and when it comes back on the air... They get recorded. (With my
ATI card I have to specify a time and station, Now I can do that by
clicking on ALIAS in the listings, and telling it "Every week" but what
it will do is set up a recording event by time of day, REPLAY sets it
up by program name so if, for example, the show is SCHEDULED an hour
late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
hour late)

Looking at the link above and following a few more from it it appears
Sage TV MIGHT do the same.... but I'm on dial up just now so I did not
look that close. If it does.. I may buy it
December 21, 2004 3:18:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:03:08 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Ablang wrote:
>> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>>
>> http://www.byopvr.com/
>>

>Checking the links but on this forum it's Why TIVO when you can REPLAY
>
>I have put the necessary hardware into my best desktop to make it act
>like a video recorder and I will tell you it works great, HOWEVER I
>truly like the way scheduling is done on the Replay.
>
>On the replay I can, for example, tell it to record all episodes of
>ALIAS and when it comes back on the air... They get recorded. (With my
>ATI card I have to specify a time and station, Now I can do that by
>clicking on ALIAS in the listings, and telling it "Every week" but what
>it will do is set up a recording event by time of day, REPLAY sets it
>up by program name so if, for example, the show is SCHEDULED an hour
>late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
>hour late)

But it doesn't help that much with F-ball (where almost EVERY "game"
lasts much longer than it's cheduled). They should cut it off, like
they would something else.

BTW, if you don't know why I call it "F-ball", you could think about
how you feel when you want a scheduled show and get THAT instead. I'm
not saying anything bad about the "game" itself.

>Looking at the link above and following a few more from it it appears
>Sage TV MIGHT do the same.... but I'm on dial up just now so I did not
>look that close. If it does.. I may buy it

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 21, 2004 3:52:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <945fs01dbkg4ahvc7c36gbhe4l4tgq65o7@4ax.com>,
Ablang <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>
> http://www.byopvr.com/

Cause it wont have all the cool features of a TiVo, and if you're a
DirecTv person, it wont record the digital stream.

Then go try and run your Microsoft Money while your PC based DVDR is
recording: Lockup city.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:13:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <m1qgs0pqa0ir0jltbhbpg22kfe0v9sql9b@4ax.com>, Mark Lloyd
<mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:

> But it doesn't help that much with F-ball (where almost EVERY "game"
> lasts much longer than it's cheduled). They should cut it off, like
> they would something else.
>
> BTW, if you don't know why I call it "F-ball", you could think about
> how you feel when you want a scheduled show and get THAT instead. I'm
> not saying anything bad about the "game" itself.

I live in the east, but I've been routinely recording "Desperate
Housewives" and "Cold Case" off the west coast feeds. I've had to.
F-ball scheduling is ridiculous.

The nets seem incapable of realistic scheduling during football season.
They *know* the game will go late. They *know* it. Why do they keep
pretending otherwise?

> 4 days until the winter solstice celebration

The solstice was today. (Happy Solstice.) Did you mean Christmas?
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:17:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:13:06 -0500, "Dr. Personality"
<affable@no.com.invalid> wrote:

>In article <m1qgs0pqa0ir0jltbhbpg22kfe0v9sql9b@4ax.com>, Mark Lloyd
><mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote:
>
>> But it doesn't help that much with F-ball (where almost EVERY "game"
>> lasts much longer than it's cheduled). They should cut it off, like
>> they would something else.
>>
>> BTW, if you don't know why I call it "F-ball", you could think about
>> how you feel when you want a scheduled show and get THAT instead. I'm
>> not saying anything bad about the "game" itself.
>

>I live in the east, but I've been routinely recording "Desperate
>Housewives" and "Cold Case" off the west coast feeds.

It's nice when you can get those. Of course, some of the "games" are
national broadcasts and that doesn't help.

> I've had to.
>F-ball scheduling is ridiculous.

And there's PBS pledge drives too. The schedules don't seem to
consider them, so you miss part of your show.

BTW, I won't count TBN since it's all commercial, so there's never
anything good on.

>The nets seem incapable of realistic scheduling during football season.

True.

>They *know* the game will go late. They *know* it. Why do they keep
>pretending otherwise?
>

>> 4 days until the winter solstice celebration
>

>The solstice was today. (Happy Solstice.)

I know about today. You left out that "celebration" word.

> Did you mean Christmas?

NO! I'm talking about the Dec 25 celebration without adding that BS
about mythical beings.

BTW, I know about the southern hemisphere. I'm just trying to avoid
some nasty anti-intellectual junk.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 21, 2004 7:51:13 PM

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:12:39 -0800, Ablang <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
> http://www.byopvr.com/

Uh, because a tivo is a hundred bucks and I don't have to dick around with
it? What do I win?
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <0iUxd.4053$by5.576@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <wa8yxm@do.not.spam.arrl.net> wrote:
>Ablang wrote:
>> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>>
>> http://www.byopvr.com/
>
>Checking the links but on this forum

s/forum/newsgroup/g

>it's Why TIVO when you can REPLAY

Ain't crossposting grand, especially when it's done by a spammer? :-P

>On the replay I can, for example, tell it to record all episodes of
>ALIAS and when it comes back on the air... They get recorded. (With my
>ATI card I have to specify a time and station, Now I can do that by
>clicking on ALIAS in the listings, and telling it "Every week" but what
>it will do is set up a recording event by time of day, REPLAY sets it
>up by program name so if, for example, the show is SCHEDULED an hour
>late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
>hour late)

FWIW, I have both a TiVo and a MythTV box (the latter being one of the
better DIY PVR options out there at the moment). MythTV has some fairly
sophisticated scheduling options--not just "record this channel at this time
daily/weekly," but "record at any time on this channel" and "record at any
time on any channel." One edge I've found that it has over TiVo is that it
also keeps track of what episodes it has recorded. A TiVo will check the
"new/rerun" flag in its guide info and will record new episodes only or new
episodes and reruns, but this can be inconvenient if you're coming into a
series in the middle and would like to watch older eps, but don't want them
popping up more than once. With MythTV, you can set it to record each
episode as it comes up, but not fill up space with episodes you've already
seen.

I've had my TiVo for four years and it's done a great job, but it's been a
couple of weeks now since I've watched anything on it. MythTV has gotten
stable enough and featureful enough that I can move all of my TV watching
over to it without worrying about weird glitches. I printed out all of the
TiVo's season passes a few weeks ago and set up their equivalents on MythTV,
and it's grabbed everything. I'm even thinking of passing the TiVo along to
my parents since I'm not using it (it's a Series 1 with a lifetime
subscription, and it's not likely that TiVo's proposed "blipverts" when you
skip past ads will work with it).

_/_
(IIGS( http://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ rm -rf /bin/laden >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 10:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <y0_xd.7987$Ix2.4051@okepread02>,
salfter@salfter.diespammersdie.dyndns.org (Scott Alfter) wrote:

> I've had my TiVo for four years and it's done a great job, but it's been a
> couple of weeks now since I've watched anything on it. MythTV has gotten
> stable enough and featureful enough that I can move all of my TV watching
> over to it without worrying about weird glitches. I printed out all of the
> TiVo's season passes a few weeks ago and set up their equivalents on MythTV,
> and it's grabbed everything. I'm even thinking of passing the TiVo along to
> my parents since I'm not using it (it's a Series 1 with a lifetime
> subscription, and it's not likely that TiVo's proposed "blipverts" when you
> skip past ads will work with it).

But if you're working in the analog realm your end product is the same
quality as a fair video tape.

DirecTiVo with Tytools gives you perfect digital copies.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:55:39 PM

Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I live in the east, but I've been routinely recording "Desperate
> Housewives" and "Cold Case" off the west coast feeds. I've had to.
> F-ball scheduling is ridiculous.

It's odd that the scheduling for a show on a network with *no* Sunday
football would be affected by other network's coverage of football. But,
I guess that's what happens to ABC showing "Desperate Housewives" in your
world.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/ShermansLagoon/BillGatesBu...

wrote:

> On the replay I can, for example, tell it to record all episodes of
> ALIAS and when it comes back on the air... They get recorded. (With my
> ATI card I have to specify a time and station, Now I can do that by
> clicking on ALIAS in the listings, and telling it "Every week" but what
> it will do is set up a recording event by time of day, REPLAY sets it
> up by program name so if, for example, the show is SCHEDULED an hour
> late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
> hour late)

It's about time Replay got around to copying TiVo on that. The way Replay
used to work on this was sad.

--
"It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> the show is SCHEDULED an hour
>>late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
>>hour late)
>

> It's about time Replay got around to copying TiVo on that. The way Replay
> used to work on this was sad.

????? Replay has always done that.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:10:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c329e2837fa4f0c9899fc@news.nabs.net>, Jeff Rife
<wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > I live in the east, but I've been routinely recording "Desperate
> > Housewives" and "Cold Case" off the west coast feeds. I've had to.
> > F-ball scheduling is ridiculous.
>
> It's odd that the scheduling for a show on a network with *no* Sunday
> football would be affected by other network's coverage of football.

"Desperate Housewives" was delayed into the overnight hours here in DC
the Sunday before last by one of the two Redskins games that WJLA-TV,
the ABC affiliate here, broadcasts every season. The station managed
to clip 4.5 minutes out of the end of the show as well. I leave the SP
set for KABC because it's easier; the Los Angeles affiliate doesn't
screw with the schedule, as it's an o&o.

> But, I guess that's what happens to ABC showing "Desperate
> Housewives" in your world.

Now *that* was underwhelming. You'd better get some sleep.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:12:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I ran across some motherboards for some type of video server made by ECS on
e-bay.
I was thinking it could be a Replay or TIVO motherboard, or something
similar to that.

Now if only some could hack a Replay ROM to emulate a 5000 and get the
Channel guide, you'd be in business.

"Ablang" <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>
> http://www.byopvr.com/

December 22, 2004 1:18:11 AM

>4 days until the winter solstice celebration

Why aren't you celebrating TODAY? Is your druid calendar running a little slow?
You are celebrating Christmas and you don't even understand the difference.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:45:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <387hs01b3hku67sov83kr4ch5o7tff3u0u@4ax.com>,
Frank J. Perricone <hawthorn@sover.net> wrote:

> It's about time Replay got around to copying TiVo on that.

There are patent laws here. Indeed Dish Network is being sued over their
DVR by TiVo.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:52:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv,
Ablang <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> spake unto us, saying:

>Why Tivo When you can Freevo?

Beause ReplayTV's are better. :-)

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:30:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <2J2yd.19446$F25.4792@okepread07>,
salfter@salfter.diespammersdie.dyndns.org (Scott Alfter) wrote:

> In article <jzwick3-DDDEFE.13274221122004@news1.west.earthlink.net>,
> Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >In article <y0_xd.7987$Ix2.4051@okepread02>,
> > salfter@salfter.diespammersdie.dyndns.org (Scott Alfter) wrote:
> >> I've had my TiVo for four years and it's done a great job, but it's been a
> >> couple of weeks now since I've watched anything on it. MythTV has gotten
> >> stable enough and featureful enough that I can move all of my TV watching
> >> over to it without worrying about weird glitches. I printed out all of
> >> the
> >> TiVo's season passes a few weeks ago and set up their equivalents on
> >> MythTV,
> >> and it's grabbed everything. I'm even thinking of passing the TiVo along
> >> my parents since I'm not using it (it's a Series 1 with a lifetime
> >> subscription, and it's not likely that TiVo's proposed "blipverts" when
> >> you
> >> skip past ads will work with it).
> >
> >But if you're working in the analog realm your end product is the same
> >quality as a fair video tape.
> >
> >DirecTiVo with Tytools gives you perfect digital copies.
>
> DirecTV isn't an option where I live, and from what I've heard about how
> they're overcompressing their signal nowadays (especially for local
> channels), those "perfect digital copies" aren't so hot anyway.

You read wrong. Probably a cable TV salesperson.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 4:52:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> "Desperate Housewives" was delayed into the overnight hours here in DC
> the Sunday before last by one of the two Redskins games that WJLA-TV,
> the ABC affiliate here, broadcasts every season.

Right. A one-time local pre-emption, not an ongoing network thing.
Yes, it was stupid, but that's WJLA. They toss ABC shows for religious
stuff quite often.

OTOH, Fox has managed to use the low ratings caused by football
running over as an excuse to cancel at least one show.

> The station managed
> to clip 4.5 minutes out of the end of the show as well. I leave the SP
> set for KABC because it's easier; the Los Angeles affiliate doesn't
> screw with the schedule, as it's an o&o.

It'd be just as easy to record it from the New York affiliate, which you
must be able to get as well.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/LoveRanking.jpg

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 11:58:24 AM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:51:13 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:12:39 -0800, Ablang
> <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
>> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>> http://www.byopvr.com/
>
> Uh, because a tivo is a hundred bucks and I don't have to dick around
> with it? What do I win?

Assuming you keep your Tivo 5 years, you win the not only the right, but
you must also pay Tivo an additional $777 in sibscription fees. Now if you
pay the product lifetime sub rate, that's only $300 extra and your total
cost for the Tivo is only $400 vs. $877.

December 22, 2004 2:50:29 PM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:11:16 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> > the show is SCHEDULED an hour
> >>late due to some "Reality Tv" special.... The Replay knows to record, an
> >>hour late)
> >
> > It's about time Replay got around to copying TiVo on that. The way Replay
> > used to work on this was sad.
>
> ????? Replay has always done that.

So there haven't been changes yet in how Replay handles these things? Too
bad.

--
"It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we
can't see." - hawthorn@sover.net http://www.sover.net/~hawthorn/
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:25:39 PM

On 21 Dec 2004 22:18:11 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>4 days until the winter solstice celebration
>>

>Why aren't you celebrating TODAY?

> Is your druid calendar running a little slow?

I'm not supporting ANY mythical beings. In general, the above looks
like BS.

>You are celebrating Christmas and you don't even understand the difference.

What I do understand is that I don't support mythical beings. I'm not
going to use a name that acknowledges such nonsense.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 22, 2004 7:45:04 PM

Scott Alfter wrote:

> DirecTV isn't an option where I live, and from what I've heard about how
> they're overcompressing their signal nowadays (especially for local
> channels), those "perfect digital copies" aren't so hot anyway. Having
> timeshifted plenty of stuff on videotape in the past, I can say with a
> considerable amount of firsthand experience that recording from digital
> cable with a standalone TiVo (or MythTV or whatever) is considerably better
> than VHS-quality. Just make sure you use S-video from the box to the PVR,
> not composite or (ick) RF.

Just kind of wondering where you live.... Direct TV is an option most
anywhere
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c32e3a4552a347e9899ff@news.nabs.net>, Jeff Rife
<wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > "Desperate Housewives" was delayed into the overnight hours here in DC
> > the Sunday before last by one of the two Redskins games that WJLA-TV,
> > the ABC affiliate here, broadcasts every season.
>
> Right. A one-time local pre-emption, not an ongoing network thing.
> Yes, it was stupid, but that's WJLA. They toss ABC shows for religious
> stuff quite often.

I never said it was "an ongoing network thing." I said the show had
been moved for football.

> > The station managed to clip 4.5 minutes out of the end of the show
> > as well. I leave the SP set for KABC because it's easier; the Los
> > Angeles affiliate doesn't screw with the schedule, as it's an o&o.
>
> It'd be just as easy to record it from the New York affiliate, which you
> must be able to get as well.

So what? For whatever reason, I choose to get the show from L.A. I
leave the SP set for L.A. because it's easier than switching it back
and forth between L.A. and DC when DC decides to move the show, which
has happened not once, but twice, for football. (I think they've also
bumped it for Billy Graham, which would make three times.) I tend not
to notice these pre-emptions because I don't have to worry about them.
I didn't even hear about the Redskins pre-emption for two days, and
that was only because the TV columnist in the Washington Post
complained about it.
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 8:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Not really . . it's only an option in North America, if I remember correctly.

-Dave

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:45:04 GMT
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Scott Alfter wrote:
>
> > DirecTV isn't an option where I live, and from what I've heard about how
> > they're overcompressing their signal nowadays (especially for local
> > channels), those "perfect digital copies" aren't so hot anyway. Having
> > timeshifted plenty of stuff on videotape in the past, I can say with a
> > considerable amount of firsthand experience that recording from digital
> > cable with a standalone TiVo (or MythTV or whatever) is considerably better
> > than VHS-quality. Just make sure you use S-video from the box to the PVR,
> > not composite or (ick) RF.
> >

> Just kind of wondering where you live.... Direct TV is an option most
> anywhere
December 22, 2004 8:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:49:15 GMT, David Frascone <dave@frascone.com>
wrote:

>Not really . . it's only an option in North America, if I remember correctly.

It's available anywhere else in the world too. You just need one of
those special dishes that work through the planet and and a receiver
that intercepts the static warp field of the satellites.

>-Dave
>
>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:45:04 GMT
>John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Scott Alfter wrote:
>>
>> > DirecTV isn't an option where I live, and from what I've heard about how
>> > they're overcompressing their signal nowadays (especially for local
>> > channels), those "perfect digital copies" aren't so hot anyway. Having
>> > timeshifted plenty of stuff on videotape in the past, I can say with a
>> > considerable amount of firsthand experience that recording from digital
>> > cable with a standalone TiVo (or MythTV or whatever) is considerably better
>> > than VHS-quality. Just make sure you use S-video from the box to the PVR,
>> > not composite or (ick) RF.
>> >

>> Just kind of wondering where you live.... Direct TV is an option most
>> anywhere
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 9:29:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> So what? For whatever reason, I choose to get the show from L.A. I
> leave the SP set for L.A. because it's easier than switching it back
> and forth between L.A. and DC when DC decides to move the show, which
> has happened not once, but twice, for football.

But, if you record it off the New York distant network feed, you'd have
the same advantage. You'd also be better off just saving the $3/month for
DC locals.

There's really no reason *not* to have an SP for the same show on *both*
distant network feeds, since TiVo will only record it once anyway.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/NoHelpDesk.jpg

Frank J. Perricone wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:11:16 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> > the show is SCHEDULED an hour

>>>It's about time Replay got around to copying TiVo on that. The way Replay
>>>used to work on this was sad.
>>
>>????? Replay has always done that.
>

> So there haven't been changes yet in how Replay handles these things? Too
> bad.

No dopey. I said Replay always looked 1 time period ahead and 1 behind
for shifted programming, there was nothing to "copy".
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 2:05:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c33cd59fd15026f989a08@news.nabs.net>, Jeff Rife
<wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Dr. Personality (affable@no.com.invalid) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > So what? For whatever reason, I choose to get the show from L.A. I
> > leave the SP set for L.A. because it's easier than switching it back
> > and forth between L.A. and DC when DC decides to move the show, which
> > has happened not once, but twice, for football.
>
> But, if you record it off the New York distant network feed, you'd have
> the same advantage. You'd also be better off just saving the $3/month for
> DC locals.

I like having the DC local news, even though we live more than fifty
miles away and they don't really cover us. The weather forecast is
sometimes helpful.

If you're arguing that trading DC for NY confers some advantage, I
can't argue. I don't need to save $3/mo, though, and I like having as
much TV available to me as I can get and pay for.

> There's really no reason *not* to have an SP for the same show on *both*
> distant network feeds, since TiVo will only record it once anyway.

The only reason I would set up "Desperate Housewives" in the east is if
we were going to watch it that same night, and we don't. We usually
watch a movie on Sunday nights and leave the show for Mondays.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 5:09:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

w.newell@verizon.net shaped the electrons to say:
>Assuming you keep your Tivo 5 years, you win the not only the right, but
>you must also pay Tivo an additional $777 in sibscription fees. Now if you

Well, you could buy a unit with TiVo Basic, and I've seen the SD-H400
going for around $200 online. You can use it with TiVo Basic with no
sub, it is an 80 hour unit, and a decent DVD player. ;-)

>pay the product lifetime sub rate, that's only $300 extra and your total
>cost for the Tivo is only $400 vs. $877.

Lifetime is the only way to go, IMHO.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
December 23, 2004 8:38:25 AM

>>You are celebrating Christmas and you don't even understand the difference.
>
>What I do understand is that I don't support mythical beings. I'm not
>going to use a name that acknowledges such nonsense.

If you are not supporting mythical beings why did you move your solstice
celebration to the mythical birthday. The solstice is an astronomical event,
the date of which was predicted with great accuracy a couple thousand years
before the mythical guy came along. If you are really celebrating the solstice
it only takes a crude calendar like Stonehenge (hence the Druid reference) or
the alignment of some of the pyramids to get the day right.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 1:40:56 PM

On 23 Dec 2004 05:38:25 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>>>You are celebrating Christmas and you don't even understand the difference.
>>
>>What I do understand is that I don't support mythical beings. I'm not
>>going to use a name that acknowledges such nonsense.
>
>If you are not supporting mythical beings why did you move your solstice
>celebration to the mythical birthday. The solstice is an astronomical event,
>the date of which was predicted with great accuracy a couple thousand years
>before the mythical guy came along.

It looks like people were here more than 100 thousand years ago. They
were probably celebrating then.

> If you are really celebrating the solstice
>it only takes a crude calendar like Stonehenge (hence the Druid reference)

Sorry, I guess I thought that was referring to an older myth system
(people do that too much).

> or
>the alignment of some of the pyramids to get the day right.

Did you notice that I did not say "solstice". I said "solstice
celebration". Words have meanings.

I don't care that much about the astronomical event, but do need
something to CALL the celebration when mentioning it. I "moved" it
because most people in the area do, and I do care about PEOPLE
(there's a lot of good things people have mixed up with those
delusions).

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 23, 2004 1:42:26 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:17:10 -0500, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Frank J. Perricone wrote:

>>>????? Replay has always done that.
>>

>> So there haven't been changes yet in how Replay handles these things? Too
>> bad.
>>
>No dopey. I said Replay always looked 1 time period ahead and 1 behind
>for shifted programming, there was nothing to "copy".

Of course, theme channels record a show no matter when (or on what
channel) a show comes on. Even better for altered schedules.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 23, 2004 8:05:44 PM

We are compiling convenience on convenience here. The solstice celebration is
on the shortest day, high point of Polaris or whatever you use to mark the day
that the axis of the Earth most closely aligns to the sun at solar noon.
The Christians usurped this celebration to mark the birth of their guy (who was
probably born in the summer if you believe the other legends, sheep in the
field and such). They arbitrarily picked Dec 25. Now you have moved your
holiday to coincide with theirs.
Who is leading who here?
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 8:05:45 PM

On 23 Dec 2004 17:05:44 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>We are compiling convenience on convenience here. The solstice celebration is
>on the shortest day, high point of Polaris or whatever you use to mark the day
>that the axis of the Earth most closely aligns to the sun at solar noon.

Do you think they measured it that accurately 100,000 years ago? Maybe
they just noticed that the changes (related to less sunlight) were
reversing.

>The Christians usurped this celebration to mark the birth of their guy (who was
>probably born in the summer if you believe the other legends,

Notice that those legends are contradictory, both internally (with
each other) and externally (with what's known about reality).

> sheep in the
>field and such). They arbitrarily picked Dec 25.

I don't think that was arbitrary, but part of the "assimilation" (yes,
it's a reference to the borg) Christians were doing. They did the same
thing for "Easter".

>Now you have moved your
>holiday

Notice that "holiday" is a shortening of "holy day", "holy" being
another BS word.

> to coincide with theirs.
>Who is leading who here?

I just recognize tha there are a lot of important things going on
(love, for example), which people associate with these myths. I don't
want to avoid THAT.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 24, 2004 3:03:08 AM

I don't think we were talking about 100,000 years ago but the guys in Egypt had
a real good idea about astronomy 4000 years ago. They were predicting eclipses
and star movements even though they didn't have a clue to the mechanics. If you
take a computer and backdate star charts you get very convincing alignments
with the pyramids at Giza. Granted they used myth to fill in the blanks too and
that was probably the first recorded attempt to define "intelligent design".
That is why guys like Copernicus and Galileo had such a hard time with the
another generation of mythsters. People don't like their myth busted.
If you really want to distance yourself from the myth, you should honor the
science and go marvel at Polaris at it's highest point in the sky.
We were out in the boat, getting a rare glance at the North Star.
December 24, 2004 5:28:13 AM

"Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <945fs01dbkg4ahvc7c36gbhe4l4tgq65o7@4ax.com>, Ablang
> <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
>
>> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
>

> For the same reason I drive a car into town instead of ride a horse.

Would that be because when people see you next to the back end of a horse
they get confused as to which is which and you prefer to drive a car so that
there's no doubt which one of the two is the horses ass?
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <332294F3rkkn0U1@individual.net>, Kenneth
<ohmygodtheykilledmee@southprk.com> wrote:

> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <945fs01dbkg4ahvc7c36gbhe4l4tgq65o7@4ax.com>, Ablang
> > <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
> >

> > For the same reason I drive a car into town instead of ride a horse.
>
> Would that be because when people see you next to the back end of a horse
> they get confused as to which is which and you prefer to drive a car so that
> there's no doubt which one of the two is the horses ass?

Man, you went all the way around the barn on that one, didn't you? No
doubt in your case as to who's the horse's ass.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 1:19:42 PM

On 24 Dec 2004 00:03:08 GMT, gfretwell@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

>I don't think we were talking about 100,000 years ago but the guys in Egypt had
>a real good idea about astronomy 4000 years ago.

Sounds reasonable. I hear that a lot of those pre-Christian societies
were quite advanced.

> They were predicting eclipses
>and star movements even though they didn't have a clue to the mechanics. If you
>take a computer and backdate star charts you get very convincing alignments
>with the pyramids at Giza. Granted they used myth to fill in the blanks too and
>that was probably the first recorded attempt to define "intelligent design".
>That is why guys like Copernicus and Galileo had such a hard time with the
>another generation of mythsters. People don't like their myth busted.
>If you really want to distance yourself from the myth, you should honor the
>science and go marvel at Polaris at it's highest point in the sky.
>We were out in the boat, getting a rare glance at the North Star.

That would be an interesting sight. The lights in town interfere with
seeing stars right.

Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

December 24, 2004 3:26:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <332294F3rkkn0U1@individual.net>,
"Kenneth" <ohmygodtheykilledmee@southprk.com> wrote:

> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <945fs01dbkg4ahvc7c36gbhe4l4tgq65o7@4ax.com>, Ablang
> > <HilaryEverAfter@ablang-duff.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Why Tivo When you can Freevo?
> >

> > For the same reason I drive a car into town instead of ride a horse.
>
> Would that be because when people see you next to the back end of a horse
> they get confused as to which is which and you prefer to drive a car so that
> there's no doubt which one of the two is the horses ass?

Anyone who thinks a roll your own DVR replaces the many man years of
programming and the functional superiority and reliability of a TiVo is
indeed looking in a mirror when discussing horses.
December 24, 2004 8:11:17 PM

>That would be an interesting sight. The lights in town interfere with
>seeing stars right.

Yep, I am fairly far out of town but there is a big shopping plaza directly
north of me that blanks out the sky. I am around Lat N 26 26 so Polaris is
pretty low in the sky for most of the year.
December 24, 2004 10:12:11 PM

> In article <332294F3rkkn0U1@individual.net>, Kenneth
> <ohmygodtheykilledmee@southprk.com> wrote:
>
>> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> > For the same reason I drive a car into town instead of ride a horse.
>>
>> Would that be because when people see you next to the back end of a horse
>> they get confused as to which is which and you prefer to drive a car so
>> that
>> there's no doubt which one of the two is the horses ass?
>

> Man, you went all the way around the barn on that one, didn't you? No
> doubt in your case as to who's the horse's ass.

Is that a "biscuit" that just fell out of your mouth?
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:29:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <333t3jF3s26n2U1@individual.net>, Kenneth
<ohmygod_theykilledme@southpirk.com> wrote:

> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <332294F3rkkn0U1@individual.net>, Kenneth
> > <ohmygodtheykilledmee@southprk.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Would that be because when people see you next to the back end of a horse
> >> they get confused as to which is which and you prefer to drive a car so
> >> that
> >> there's no doubt which one of the two is the horses ass?
> >

> > Man, you went all the way around the barn on that one, didn't you? No
> > doubt in your case as to who's the horse's ass.
>
> Is that a "biscuit" that just fell out of your mouth?

Try again, loser boy. These jokes of yours would be lame at a
Pentecostal convention.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:40:15 AM

Jack Zwick wrote:

> Anyone who thinks a roll your own DVR replaces the many man years of
> programming and the functional superiority and reliability of a TiVo is
> indeed looking in a mirror when discussing horses.

I don't know TiVo, just Replay

But I do know my "roll your own" DVR is actually slightly better than my
Replay in one area (Makes nicer MPEGs that play easier)

But the REPLAY makes up for it and then some with Theme cnannels and the
way in which it schedules shows for recording.

That is fantastic

My "roll your own" is just like a VCR, you tell it to record, say
"Smallville" which shows up at 8pm on Wed on chan 20 where I live and it
records 8 to 9pm, chan 20, no matter what's scheduled... Smallville is a
2 hour special.. You better reprogram or you loose half of it.

Smallville is going to run 1/2 hour late due to some Global Warming (IE:
The president is giving a scheduled speech) and you miss half the show
again.

With the replay... This still happens if it's a sporting event that runs
over (There outtta be a law there) but so long as the show runs when
SCHEDULED... I see it, all of it.

Not so the home rolled recorder.

Not only that but the REPLAY will, all by itself, search out and record
shows... 24, not in the lineup yet but will be soon, ALIAS, likewise,
The Replay knows I want those and is set to pounce when they show up.

Not so the ATI wonder card.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:18:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <zN1zd.5690$by5.3925@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick wrote:
>
> > Anyone who thinks a roll your own DVR replaces the many man years of
> > programming and the functional superiority and reliability of a TiVo is
> > indeed looking in a mirror when discussing horses.
>
> I don't know TiVo, just Replay
>
> But I do know my "roll your own" DVR is actually slightly better than my
> Replay in one area (Makes nicer MPEGs that play easier)

Well you just proved TiVo is better than Replay then.
December 25, 2004 3:18:49 AM

> In article <zN1zd.5690$by5.3925@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> John in Detroit <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Jack Zwick wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone who thinks a roll your own DVR replaces the many man years of
>> > programming and the functional superiority and reliability of a TiVo is
>> > indeed looking in a mirror when discussing horses.
>>
>> I don't know TiVo, just Replay
>>
>> But I do know my "roll your own" DVR is actually slightly better than my
>> Replay in one area (Makes nicer MPEGs that play easier)
>
> Well you just proved TiVo is better than Replay then.

Nothing has been proven here.
December 25, 2004 3:40:51 AM

> In article <343t3jF23s26f9U1@dividual.net>, Kenneth
> <ohmygod_theykilledme@southpirk.com> wrote:
>
>> "Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Man, you went all the way around the barn on that one, didn't you? No
>> > doubt in your case as to who's the horse's ass.
>>
>> Is that a "biscuit" that just fell out of your mouth?
>
> Try again, loser boy. These jokes of yours would be lame at a
> Pentecostal convention.

I see where a person that is consistantly taken to be a horses ass would
think that. I also understand why such a person would also feel the need to
boost his self esteem by renaming himself and believing himself to be not
just mister but "Dr. Personality."
!