Sign in with
Your question

BSODS for many different reasons (I have crash dumps)

Last response: in Windows 7
March 20, 2012 9:07:48 PM

Hello, Lately I've been bluescreening constantly for many different reasons. Some of the error messages I've gotten are memory management, system service exception, and IRQL not less or equal. I have a ton of crash dumps which I'll upload if somebody can tell me how to.
a b $ Windows 7
March 20, 2012 9:33:08 PM

Download and run memtest+ and see what results it finds. Might have a bad memory stick or DIMM slot.
m
l
March 20, 2012 10:11:27 PM

I've already replaced my ram after getting a corrupt test. The new ram passed is there a way for me to upload crash dumps here?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2012 11:24:54 AM

Quote:
memory management, system service exception, and IRQL not less or equa

Those three combined generally point to bad RAM. The fact you got a corrupt test basically proves that was the problem. Have you had any problems since you had the RAM replaced?
m
l
March 21, 2012 8:53:53 PM

I ran another memtest and the ram had a ton of errors which is strange since the ram was replaced about a month ago and it passed the test then. I have suspicions that my motherboard is damaging my ram since this is my second set of bad ram and my house was struck by lightning last summer. The strike had seemingly only damaged my ethernet connector so I just bought a pci network card which has recently also failed on me. I'm going to replace my Rampage III Extreme with a Rampage IV on the insurance claim and send in the RAM on RMA (Again). Hopefully that will fix my problems.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2012 1:39:12 PM

Benthepen said:
I ran another memtest and the ram had a ton of errors which is strange since the ram was replaced about a month ago and it passed the test then. I have suspicions that my motherboard is damaging my ram since this is my second set of bad ram and my house was struck by lightning last summer. The strike had seemingly only damaged my ethernet connector so I just bought a pci network card which has recently also failed on me. I'm going to replace my Rampage III Extreme with a Rampage IV on the insurance claim and send in the RAM on RMA (Again). Hopefully that will fix my problems.

Uh oh, its possible the charge followed the ethernet into the PC and fried something...might have lost a voltage regulator or something...

I'd visually inspect the mobo for now and see if you have any blown capacitors or anything that looks fried. While the RAM is almost certainly the cause of the BSOD, the next step is figuring out why it seems to go bad on you all the time.
m
l
March 22, 2012 10:54:02 PM

I did some more extensive testing today and found that the each individual stick passed the test in each of the ram slots and now they're not failing when they're all together anymore. They may have just been overheating before since I turned on my air conditioning in my house last night and the house temperature dropped about 10 degrees. The cabinet has good airflow but its still a possibility. I'm now having a problem where windows crashes within a minute of starting up with the error "A driver has been caught trying to corrupt the system"
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2012 11:27:30 AM

Sounds like more memory problems...is it possible the sticks aren't getting enough juice when you have two or more in? Try applying a *little* more voltage to the RAM and see if that helps stabilize things.

Also, did you test each stick of RAM in the same slot? Its still unlikely, but its possible the secondary RAM slot is somehow fried.
m
l
March 23, 2012 7:03:35 PM

I've tried running a stick that had tested fine on the first slot on all of my other slots and none failed. I'll try adjusting the voltage.
m
l
!