SLI /CrossFire Worth the bux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

offcenter

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
I've read the SLI / CrossFire FAQS, but I am still wondering if it is worth the $$$. what are the pros and cons? my monitor runs at 2560 x 1600 native, so do I REALLY need this for the latest (or future) games and watching vids? I am looking at a Dual 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 install, as opposed to a single card. the diff in price: about $190.00.

Solution
Micro shutter is overstated as a problem, but a single card is more often than not the better way to go.

Some will say not to SLI/CF unless you want to add to an existing rig with an existing gpu. Problem is that it will almost always be a better idea to sell the existing single card and get another new card of the next generation....so you never end up doing SLI/CF.

Just get a 670 and call it a day. When it its long in the tooth, sell it and get the 870 when it comes out.

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
SLI/CF are not the most reliable setups for gaming. Microstutter is a big issue. You are better off buying 1 Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 Vapor X and overclocking it to your needs. SLI/CF are really only good for higher tiered cards, so in a few years when gaming performance doesn't meet where you want it, you can crossfire another 7950 and it will perform nicely. Also, the 7950 > 660 Ti at higher resolutions.

plasmaj12345

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012

The 7970 GHz Edition card is the best single GPU card out on the market.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html. The only Nvidia card comparable to it is the 680, which the 7970 GHz outperforms the 680 at higher resolutions due to the 3GB of VRAM and the bigger bus. The 7970 GHz edition is my recommendation for your budget. If you are truly set on the Nvidia route, get a 670 as the 680 is not worth the 5% increase in performance for more money.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Micro shutter is overstated as a problem, but a single card is more often than not the better way to go.

Some will say not to SLI/CF unless you want to add to an existing rig with an existing gpu. Problem is that it will almost always be a better idea to sell the existing single card and get another new card of the next generation....so you never end up doing SLI/CF.

Just get a 670 and call it a day. When it its long in the tooth, sell it and get the 870 when it comes out.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.