Sign in with
Your question

1080p Monitor GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2013 9:39:42 PM

Hey guys,
I'm looking to build a new rig here, and I'm a bit stuck on GPU choices here. I would prefer to use just one 1080p monitor (probably 120Hz) and I'm looking for a high-end gpu configuration involving SLI/CrossFire. I have a pretty decent budget for the whole build ($3500), so I can probably accommodate most configurations, but I just wanted to know which set up would be most effective in terms of 670 vs 680 vs 7970 (Ghz) and whether SLI/CrossFire is actually worth it. I'd like to play FPS games at high/ultra video settings, and I'd like to know the best way to go about doing it.

Finally, for future-proofing, is 3Gb more worthwhile, and could you also recommend a suitable PSU wattage for such a GPU configuration (Ie. would I need more than 850W?).

Thanks in advance for everything!

More about : 1080p monitor gpu

a c 109 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 29, 2013 9:43:10 PM

A single 670 gtx is enough, if you want two cards, get two 670 gtx, a decent psu with 750W is enough.
January 29, 2013 9:46:20 PM

I'm not so worried about the price (It's a gift so I'm not the one paying - don't take that the wrong way :p ) but would dual 670s outperform 7970s after overclocking etc.?
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 29, 2013 9:49:03 PM

Both are good setups, nvidia has better driver support for multi gpus, hence my recommendation for two 670 gtx.
January 29, 2013 10:04:40 PM

With a budget like that why not opt for a higher res monitor? Either way, if you can, persuade the "gift" giver to wait a couple months for the 700 series GPUs to come out along with the new intel processors. Or at least get a cheaper GPU to hold you over until the 700 series GPUS are out.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 1:53:49 AM

xl2aNd0m said:
With a budget like that why not opt for a higher res monitor? Either way, if you can, persuade the "gift" giver to wait a couple months for the 700 series GPUs to come out along with the new intel processors. Or at least get a cheaper GPU to hold you over until the 700 series GPUS are out.

+1. IF money isnt a issue and you thinking about buying a 670 you might as well wait and see what the 700 series is about which i think is the better option
January 30, 2013 5:19:14 AM

Any ideas on release dates and such? How much would they cost as well?
a c 180 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 5:26:56 AM

Mostly at april.price may be high than this gen gpu.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 12:37:04 PM

ASHISH65 said:
Mostly at april.price may be high than this gen gpu.

True. Im looking foward to it my self
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 12:38:29 PM

670 is plenty.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 12:41:15 PM

Djentleman said:
670 is plenty.

For now. Still i would wait in my opinion because as i stated before people buy 600 series now then once they end up seeing the 700 releasing which will be soon in the next few months they will end up selling the 600 series they bought to get a 700 series and they wont get the same value they put in the card back. Even if you dont buy a 700 weigh your options and atleast see the specs before buying
January 30, 2013 2:54:02 PM

So would it be best to wait until April/May?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 3:14:15 PM

2wenty said:
So would it be best to wait until April/May?

My opinion yes i would wait this way you wont have a bad feeling about buying a gpu..If you go ahead and buy one now when the new ones come out you will have bad feeling about it and you prob will end up selling that card trying to get a new one. People say why play the waiting game? Its to close to release and like i said before i dont want you to have buyers remorse
January 30, 2013 3:24:42 PM

determinologyz said:
My opinion yes i would wait this way you wont have a bad feeling about buying a gpu..If you go ahead and buy one now when the new ones come out you will have bad feeling about it and you prob will end up selling that card trying to get a new one. People say why play the waiting game? Its to close to release and like i said before i dont want you to have buyers remorse

I've lived (and am still living) with a macbook pro 2010 as my sole computer :)  I hope to do the same with a new build, so if the gpu can last 3 years +, I'll be very happy :p  That's why I'm trying to work out how cost effective waiting will be, and whether buying the newest series is worth it :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2013 3:29:27 PM

2wenty said:
I've lived (and am still living) with a macbook pro 2010 as my sole computer :)  I hope to do the same with a new build, so if the gpu can last 3 years +, I'll be very happy :p  That's why I'm trying to work out how cost effective waiting will be, and whether buying the newest series is worth it :) 

If you want a card to go 3 years+ go for the best card and with the time frame the 770 or even 780 would hold you. Dont get me wrong the 670 would hold you as well but i think you would want better performance
!