Uninstall on one machine to reinstall on another

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i am building a new computer with an SSD. the current HDD i have will be my backup drive on the new computer. do i need to uninstall the OS from the HDD before i attempt to install win 7 on my new SSD? how would microsoft know that it is installed on 2 drives (in the same computer)? i kind of want to leave it on the HDD while i install the SSD and build the new computer, in case something goes wrong in the build process and i need to use the HDD with my old computer.

if i have to install it from the the HDD first, how do i do that exactly? i was thinking just restart and boot to the win 7 cd and reformat the drive without actually installing win 7. sorry i have never done this before, thanks for the help.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

still a little confused. i am using a new mobo. i'm building a brand new pc from scratch. if i don't format or uninstall win 7 from the other computer, will the new computer allow its install? problem is i've already disassembled the old computer so am hoping i don't have to put it together just so the mobo can read the win 7 being uninstalled?

sarmstrong806

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
If you have the retail version CD they seemed to have no problem with installing on a new computer, so long as you aren't running two versions. I explained that it was a new motherboard, etc. in detail. I called the licensing line and they took over the computer remotely and put in a new CD key with my Win 7 Upgrade retail. He actually copied and pasted and tried multiple keys and then typed in the phone activation codes for me. As long as you have the code stamped around the inside ring of the CD. They even showed me how to edit the registry to do future clean installs with the upgrade version.

Call the volume licensing or similar hotline and choose "Personal"