Card only clones desktop, wont extend it

jsngw88

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
To start, I know everyone wants the builds first to possibly diagnose it as being non-compatible. SO! That being said, here goes.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale @3.16gHz
EVGA nForce 780i SLI
4x2GB DDR2 800 1066
(2) XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1x1GB 1x768MB Fatal1ty
1TB Seagate Barracuda
Apevia Warlock 750
2xLG DVD RW+/-
and various other little things here and there like usb extenders, e sata, and 1394.

Everything is stock, no mods, no OC. All I did in BiOS was change it so the EVGA logo shows full screen instead of the boot screen.

Not even a full 12 hours ago, I had two monitors running perfectly fine as an extended desktop display. Now when I boot it tells me the OS patch, and boots in the 400x600 res. It also will not extend my desktop anymore. The option is there, but the ability is not. Before you ask, yes, both DVI slots work, and both monitors work, and both cables work. I have tested everything I can think of before resorting to this forum, and I'm utterly stumped. This build is almost 5 years old, before you start trying to score yourselves points by telling me my gpu is old and 'upgrade already'. I know its old, I know I need an upgrade, I don't have the money to do it now since right after I finished this rig I became a father. I can't afford to upgrade, unless someone wants to go 70/30 high for me. Before this morning, I haven't had any problems with my build...ever. It runs just fine without all that useless trial and error cyber-steroids. Both displays worked separately and together, but now they will only clone. No matter what option I choose outside of a clone, monitor 2 will not display. I tried unplugging, reseating, updating...you name it, I've done it. The last option is flashing the BiOS (aside from a whole new system), but I would like to avoid that as much as possible. It was my first build, and as I'm sure you know, is special. I want to keep it all as original as possible. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

What OS patch? It sounds like your drivers need to be re-installed.

Uninstall the drivers, and re-install them and see if this fixes the issue. You may need to uninstall the drivers, and then run drive sweeper to get rid of the driver, and then re-install.

jsngw88

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

I've tried a rollback and reinstall but not a total uninstall. I'm running Win7 x64 SP1. The particulars I will have to get back to you on, I'm not sure of them off the top of my head.