Display crashes when running demanding games and apps, GPU or PSU?

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012
hi my home built machine has been running like a dream with no problems at all until two weeks ago when I started up there was no display I swapped the video card from the xfx amd hd 6870 to a new asus amd hd 6950 aand updated the drivers with amd catylist software.
all was ok for a week or so then I had been playing skyrim and installing mods I had problems installing F.O.S.E so I abandoned it and went to play the game the splash screens went as normal but as soon as my save started to load my screen went black the audio carried on for slightly longer before freezing, my machine was still powered up the keyboard and mouse were lighted up as were the led's on the motherboard chassis etc.I had to hold the power button and reboot all seemed ok and I tried running different programs and games to attempt to ascertain whether it was a one off crash or a hardware problem and I experienced the exact same crash under more or less the same circumstances. although less demanding games will run without problems.
I have also noticed some small changes with my system for instance smaall graaphics glitches and a general sluggishness.
I googled extensively and tried checking the hdds scanning for viruses even a clean install to no avail I@m stumped guys, I'm checking the event viewer but I'm a bit out of my depth I think so before I go replacing the psu. please enlighten me with your encyclopeadic knowledgebase thanks.p.s. I am the only user on this computer.
sorry if this is posted in the wrong place its my first one :??:

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012
thanks for quick reply.the temps seem ok as far aas I can tell I have spare graphics card and identical mobo.. but the only psu I haave is only 500w do you think that'l surfice?

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Ive decided to invest in a new psu had a quick butchers on the interweb and I like this model, any advice or suggestions?
here are my machines specs specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8190 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 52546 MB; D: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 148554 MB; H: Total - 305245 MB, Free - 10903 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X58A-UD3R
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled