iPod network Aux interface?

Last response: in Home Audio
July 16, 2004 12:40:59 PM

Hi,

I am looking for a piece of equipment that does the following - if
such a thing exists.

I have wire-line and wireless network (TCP/IP) access throughout my
house. I have a network port near the music system. I am getting tired
of my kids scratching all my CDs and theirs. I would like to be able
to get an iPod to stick into the AUX port of the music system. I would
also like to manage the iPod from my PC while it is connected to the
music system. I don't want to have to connect and re-connect the iPod
every time that I want to mange the music on the iPod. I would like to
be able to treat the iPod as a network device from my PC and and have
it interact normally with the music system.

Does such a thing exist? What is it called? Where can I get one?

Regards

Liam Caffrey
lxc@DeEoLsEyTsE.ie
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 1:40:06 AM

On 16 Jul 2004 08:40:59 -0700, lxc@eosys.ie (LCaffrey) wrote:

>I have wire-line and wireless network (TCP/IP) access throughout my
>house. I have a network port near the music system. I am getting tired
>of my kids scratching all my CDs and theirs. I would like to be able
>to get an iPod to stick into the AUX port of the music system. I would
>also like to manage the iPod from my PC while it is connected to the
>music system. I don't want to have to connect and re-connect the iPod
>every time that I want to mange the music on the iPod. I would like to
>be able to treat the iPod as a network device from my PC and and have
>it interact normally with the music system.
>
>Does such a thing exist? What is it called? Where can I get one?

Must it be an iPod? Why couldn't it be a hard drive on one of the
networked computers?
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 5:47:42 AM

I was thinking iPod or something like an iPod because, I could carry
it away to the car if I wanted. There is no computer at the location
of the music system and there won't be. It is in the middle of the
living room.

So, a unit that will alow me to treat an iPod (or similar) like a
network device via the USB or firewire?

If I put in a USB mini-hub or router, would that do the trick?

Regards

Liam

Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<e7fgf0dt453d169p6cuddkrgmpflf7hsr5@4ax.com>...
> On 16 Jul 2004 08:40:59 -0700, lxc@eosys.ie (LCaffrey) wrote:
>
> >I have wire-line and wireless network (TCP/IP) access throughout my
> >house. I have a network port near the music system. I am getting tired
> >of my kids scratching all my CDs and theirs. I would like to be able
> >to get an iPod to stick into the AUX port of the music system. I would
> >also like to manage the iPod from my PC while it is connected to the
> >music system. I don't want to have to connect and re-connect the iPod
> >every time that I want to mange the music on the iPod. I would like to
> >be able to treat the iPod as a network device from my PC and and have
> >it interact normally with the music system.
> >
> >Does such a thing exist? What is it called? Where can I get one?
>

> Must it be an iPod? Why couldn't it be a hard drive on one of the
> networked computers?
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 4:33:22 AM

In article <4a6dded0.0407160740.1f976173@posting.google.com>,
lxc@eosys.ie (LCaffrey) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a piece of equipment that does the following - if
> such a thing exists.
>
> I have wire-line and wireless network (TCP/IP) access throughout my
> house. I have a network port near the music system. I am getting tired
> of my kids scratching all my CDs and theirs. I would like to be able
> to get an iPod to stick into the AUX port of the music system. I would
> also like to manage the iPod from my PC while it is connected to the
> music system. I don't want to have to connect and re-connect the iPod
> every time that I want to mange the music on the iPod. I would like to
> be able to treat the iPod as a network device from my PC and and have
> it interact normally with the music system.
>
> Does such a thing exist? What is it called? Where can I get one?
>
> Regards
>
> Liam Caffrey
> lxc@DeEoLsEyTsE.ie

Maybe this:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

It's a passive device controlled by iTunes via an Ethernet cable or an
Airport Extreme. You can also get various active devices that will play
MP3s from a network hard drive.

Still another solution is a wireless AV transmitter and receiver.
Wavecom makes them, I think. The quality is much better than FM but
they sometimes operate in overused RF spectrums.
!