Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with a graphics card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 29, 2013 11:12:28 PM

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card. We bought this computer a few months ago and it has trouble playing the Sims 2 and that's my wife's favorite game. This is the computer we bought and where we bought it from. All we're really looking to do is browse the internet, occasionally stream a few things (rare, we usually use our Roku, Xbox or Macbook Pro for that) and most importantly play the sims.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/393350/Pavilion_p7-1...

We're not really looking to break the bank. We just want something that works and that the sims will play on. She is experiencing blurring, objects in the game flashing colors, invisible people in the game, and all sorts of graphic errors. She has turned all the settings on the game down as low as they go, but she wants to play it with them up higher so we want something better.

Also, our monitor is 1920x1080 with DVI ports and HMDI ports.

More about : graphics card

a c 113 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 11:20:39 PM

cbwolfe1987 said:
I am looking to upgrade my graphics card. We bought this computer a few months ago and it has trouble playing the Sims 2 and that's my wife's favorite game. This is the computer we bought and where we bought it from. All we're really looking to do is browse the internet, occasionally stream a few things (rare, we usually use our Roku, Xbox or Macbook Pro for that) and most importantly play the sims.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/393350/Pavilion_p7-1...

We're not really looking to break the bank. We just want something that works and that the sims will play on. She is experiencing blurring, objects in the game flashing colors, invisible people in the game, and all sorts of graphic errors. She has turned all the settings on the game down as low as they go, but she wants to play it with them up higher so we want something better.

Also, our monitor is 1920x1080 with DVI ports and HMDI ports.


Yeah, the onboard intel 2000 gfx won't cut it, but do need to know your budget
before I could recommend a card.

Tom
m
0
l
Related resources
January 29, 2013 11:23:51 PM

toyftw said:
Yeah, the onboard intel 2000 gfx won't cut it, but do need to know your budget
before I could recommend a card.

Tom


We're looking to spend no more than $150 but hopefully less. We were assured we could at least play the sims when we bought it. I would also like to not replace the power supply, but if I have to, then I suppose I have to.
m
0
l
a c 113 U Graphics card
January 29, 2013 11:41:25 PM

cbwolfe1987 said:
We're looking to spend no more than $150 but hopefully less. We were assured we could at least play the sims when we bought it. I would also like to not replace the power supply, but if I have to, then I suppose I have to.


abbadon is right - you don't need to spend $150 for what you want to do.
As an alternative to the 6670, you might want to consider the 7750:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $90

it outperforms the 6670 significantly (it should for the xtra $40) and requires
a little less power.

anything higher would prob require a psu upgrade

Tom
m
0
l
!