Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless Networking USB and 5504

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 11:36:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
port?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 26, 2004 11:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:36:14 GMT, "Display Name"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
>wireless network?

The USB port on the Replay is completely nonfunctional. It doesn't
even supply power.

> Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
>MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
>port?
>

It's available in the menu. Why haven't you looked yet?

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 12:29:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Display Name wrote:
> Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
> wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
> MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
> port?
>
>

1: The usb port is a dummy, it does not work and you may thus not use it
for anything except... Possibly... A usb-"Book light" or "usb powered
speakers" (I do not know if it has power. but I do know it does not work)

2: How to do mac address filtering... That is a bit harder but the
procedure for finding it's mac address is outlined in the owner's
manual. But you may have to temporary disable the filter (Just for a
few minutes) then you ping it then you request the address of the last
device pinged (using the command in the manual which I forget) then
re-activate your filter, then program it in.

I'm not sure I had to disable the filter though. I think that PING
went through before I added it to the Mac (I keep forgetting I have that
filter active when I hook up new hardware)
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 12:31:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Mark Lloyd wrote:

>
> It's available in the menu. Why haven't you looked yet?

I don't know about him but on my 5504 IT would not even let me go to the
menu till it "phoned home" and that required I add it's MAC address to
my filters.

Thankfully the owner's manual has a paragraph or two on how to find out
what the address is... I followed the procedure.. Programmed it into the
filter, and instant "working"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 27, 2004 2:54:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:29:46 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Display Name wrote:
>> Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
>> wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I use
>> MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the Ethernet
>> port?
>>
>>
>
>1: The usb port is a dummy, it does not work and you may thus not use it
>for anything except... Possibly... A usb-"Book light" or "usb powered
>speakers" (I do not know if it has power. but I do know it does not work)
>

Did you notice my earlier reply? It does not even provide power.

>2: How to do mac address filtering... That is a bit harder but the
>procedure for finding it's mac address is outlined in the owner's
>manual. But you may have to temporary disable the filter (Just for a
>few minutes) then you ping it then you request the address of the last
>device pinged (using the command in the manual which I forget) then
>re-activate your filter, then program it in.
>

Also, you can determine it from your router (through DHCP) if the
router has al ist for the DHCP server (or connected devcices for
wireless).

>I'm not sure I had to disable the filter though. I think that PING
>went through before I added it to the Mac (I keep forgetting I have that
>filter active when I hook up new hardware)

That would be a disadvantage of using MAC address filtering. You could
forget about it and be unable to figure out why a new device isn't
working.

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 6:41:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.

I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.
"Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
news:kmi0t050i8d7227k9g25luhkgnl9idoqgu@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:29:46 GMT, John in Detroit
> <Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >Display Name wrote:
> >> Can I use the USB port for an 802.11G wireless NIC and attach it to my
> >> wireless network? Or must I use the built in ethernet port? Since I
use
> >> MAC address filtering, how do I determine the MAC address of the
Ethernet
> >> port?
> >>
> >>
> >
> >1: The usb port is a dummy, it does not work and you may thus not use it
> >for anything except... Possibly... A usb-"Book light" or "usb powered
> >speakers" (I do not know if it has power. but I do know it does not work)
> >
>
> Did you notice my earlier reply? It does not even provide power.
>
> >2: How to do mac address filtering... That is a bit harder but the
> >procedure for finding it's mac address is outlined in the owner's
> >manual. But you may have to temporary disable the filter (Just for a
> >few minutes) then you ping it then you request the address of the last
> >device pinged (using the command in the manual which I forget) then
> >re-activate your filter, then program it in.
> >
>
> Also, you can determine it from your router (through DHCP) if the
> router has al ist for the DHCP server (or connected devcices for
> wireless).
>
> >I'm not sure I had to disable the filter though. I think that PING
> >went through before I added it to the Mac (I keep forgetting I have that
> >filter active when I hook up new hardware)
>
> That would be a disadvantage of using MAC address filtering. You could
> forget about it and be unable to figure out why a new device isn't
> working.
>
> --
> Mark Lloyd
> has a Replay 5xxx
> http://go.to/notstupid
> http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
>
> "It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
> paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
> anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 2:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Display Name wrote:
> I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
> NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
> the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
> help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.
>
> I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
> But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.
> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
> news:kmi0t050i8d7227k9g25luhkgnl9idoqgu@4ax.com...
>


(and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No, sorry
I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well, to be
honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of it, no
use for it personally)

How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can take
as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your computer...
Well.. That's how I do it.

Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)

You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not work)

Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on it

Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work well

Now... Burn away
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 3:53:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:36:15 GMT, John in Detroit
<Blanked@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Display Name wrote:
>> I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once the
>> NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC address, added it to
>> the 'allow' list and switched filtering back on. Thank all of you for your
>> help. I am sure I will be back here for more advice.
>>
>> I now need to figure out how to get this thing to record to my DVD burner.
>> But first I will look around and try and figure it out for myself.
>> "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> news:kmi0t050i8d7227k9g25luhkgnl9idoqgu@4ax.com...
>>
>
>
>(and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No, sorry
>I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well, to be
>honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of it, no
>use for it personally)
>

I checked mine for that reason, and to be able to answer people's
questions. I had a USB-powered light used for laptops.

>How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
>entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
>Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
>of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can take
>as an input)

The Replay will act just like it would with a VCR.

> if it's the one built into or plugged into your computer...
>Well.. That's how I do it.
>

I use my computer to make DVDs (I don't have a stand-alone DVD
recorder, which costs more and is less versatile).

>Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)
>

Note that to get it to work right, your (computer) firewall will need
to pass connections to the uPnP port (239.255.255.250). Some firewalls
will already do that. Others need settings changerd.

>You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
>system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not work)
>
>Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on it
>

I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 (came with my DVD burner), which seems
to be the bast I've tried (better than the one you get with Nero). It
burns as well as authors.

>Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
>install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work well
>

Additional CODECs may be unnecessary. Try it first. I didn't install
any. I use VideoLAN for playing videos.

Note that some programs will show an incorrect aspect ratio on
Standard Quality recordings. They will still play fine from DVD.

>Now... Burn away

--
Mark Lloyd
has a Replay 5xxx
http://go.to/notstupid
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"It is a curious thing that every creed promises a
paradise which will be absolutely uninhabitable for
anyone of civilized taste." -- Evelyn Waugh
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 28, 2004 9:46:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

What happened when you called RTV about this?

From:John in Detroit
Blanked@sbcglobal.net

> Display Name wrote:
>> I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once
>> the NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC
>> address, added it to the 'allow' list and switched filtering back
>> on. Thank all of you for your help. I am sure I will be back here
>> for more advice. I now need to figure out how to get this thing to
>> record to my DVD
>> burner. But first I will look around and try and figure it out for
>> myself. "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>> news:kmi0t050i8d7227k9g25luhkgnl9idoqgu@4ax.com...
>>
>
>
> (and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No,
> sorry I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well,
> to be honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of
> it, no use for it personally)
>
> How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
> entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
> Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
> of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can
> take as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your
> computer... Well.. That's how I do it.
>
> Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)
>
> You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
> system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not
> work)
> Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on
> it
> Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
> install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work
> well
> Now... Burn away
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 29, 2004 5:02:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

bruce, Did you reply to the wrong person, I never called RTV

BruceR wrote:
> What happened when you called RTV about this?
>
> From:John in Detroit
> Blanked@sbcglobal.net
>
>
>>Display Name wrote:
>>
>>>I ended up shutting down the MAC address filtering momentarily. Once
>>>the NIC was able to attach to the network, I got the MAC
>>>address, added it to the 'allow' list and switched filtering back
>>>on. Thank all of you for your help. I am sure I will be back here
>>>for more advice. I now need to figure out how to get this thing to
>>>record to my DVD
>>>burner. But first I will look around and try and figure it out for
>>>myself. "Mark Lloyd" <mlloyd@5xxxmail.com5xxx> wrote in message
>>>news:kmi0t050i8d7227k9g25luhkgnl9idoqgu@4ax.com...
>>>
>>
>>
>>(and re: the poster who said "Did you notice my earlier reply" No,
>>sorry I did not, Ok, the USB port does not even provide power (Well,
>>to be honest the only reason I'd have for checking is for the heck of
>>it, no use for it personally)
>>
>>How to get this thing to record to my dvd burner... This depends
>>entirely on your dvd burner of course... If it's a stand alone "DVD
>>Recorder" then you have more dollars than I do and the only way I know
>>of is real time, line out (Use the best video out that the DVD can
>>take as an input) if it's the one built into or plugged into your
>>computer... Well.. That's how I do it.
>>
>>Step one is to download a program called DVArchive (www.dvarchive.org)
>>
>>You will also need the current version of Sun Java running on your
>>system (Before you fire up DVA, note, no java, DVA simply does not
>>work)
>>Next you need software that can burn DVD's ... My system has NERO on
>>it
>>Finally with SOME burning software (Example NERO) you will need to
>>install some additional CODECS,,, Elcard's Moonlight decoders work
>>well
>>Now... Burn away
>
>
>
!