Static IPs in a Television Truck

ZachSchuster

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Hey guys,

I need a better solution for networking my TV truck. 95% of our shoots are on campus, and the campus network is set up with VLANs. I have a Gigabit switch inside the truck, and one port connects to the campus network at each venue and each networked device is given a dynamic IP from the campus network.

The IP addresses change with each venue. Football field, basketball arena, theater, etc... are all different, so the gear is assigned completely different IPs.

For most of our stuff, this is not a problem. However, I'd like to start doing some things with some of my netowrked-non-computer devices (audio/video router, and a few other things). I haven't had much luck getting it to work and it sounds like these devices need static IP addresses.

The thought of manually changing each static IP with each venue we go to is giving me heartburn. Plus, if we go to an off-site venue and their IT department is uncooperative or clueless, I'd have to resort to dynamic IPs and lose a/v routing functionality.

I need to get static IPs in the truck, while still having optimal flexibility in on site and off site internet access.

Would something like this product work: http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=522109

As I understand it, I'd plug the uplink port in to the campus network (not a DSL modem), and then one of the other ports in to my big switch and then assign each networked device a static IP?

I'm a little rusty on my networking knowledge. I think this would work, but I'm not sure.

End goal: Static IPs inside my TV truck with the ability to drive anywhere and plug in to a hardwired network for internet access. Having my own wireless network in the truck would be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks!

ZachSchuster

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
It's looking like a router will be my best choice. I need to check with the campus IT department to see if they restrict users from plugging in routers. It sounds like some departments program their main routers to shut down ports if a router is plugged in.

Thanks,

Zach