Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for multi station displays

January 29, 2013 11:37:51 PM

I need advice on which way to go in terms of setting up my children with computer stations in each room and the last step is to tackle the graphics cards that are needed. I will be using BeTwin software which more or less allows more than one user to sign in and use the CPU (computer) at one time. The only catch here is a graphics card is needed for each user and in my case it will be three. Everything is being extended over Cat6 via HDMI and video and audio are all tested out fine. USB extended over Cat6 as well.

The computer I have is a Gateway Dx 4320-45 with the following specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 2.6 GHz processor
8GB Ram
Radeon HD 5750 card
Windows 7.

I have added a PCIe x 1 graphics card Radeon HD5450 (1 GB, 600 MHz clock speed) in the only available slot which is the x1 slot. Since this card does not have HDMI, I used a display port adapter to HDMI. Video and Audio work fine although it is much slower than the HD 5750 card that came with the computer (slower clock speed).

My thought is to replace the HD5750 card with two low profile cards of the same or greater capabilities so I can have a total of 3 cards in the computer. I have 2 PCIe x 16 slots but the current card covers the second (lower) one. I do not know at this point if this is physically possible but if it is what would be the best suggestions for two low profile cards with at least 1GB memory and clock speed of 700 MHz or greater ? Only one of my children play games which demand a good graphics card. The other two would use the computer more for streaming videos or web surfing.

If not possible, are there anything such as external cards that hook up via a USB / RAID port ? I have a dedicated IT room so space is not a problem.

My other option would be to install the software on my personal/work computer and allow one of my children to use it.

Thanks

Jeff
!