Toolbars failing to be retained

TheOctagon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hello, I have windows 7 and when I create toolbars on the start bar, often times (but not always mind you) it will not retain those toolbars after a reboot or logoff. The bars are still available when I go "Toolbars, New Toolbar" - the ones I created show up at the bottom of the list on the left. All I have to do is double click to put it back on the start bar. Its annoying though because it does it quite often. Does anyone else have this issue or know what I can do to make it retain the settings. I am running as the admin by the way.

Thanks,
TheOctagon

Oh yeah, this one really bugged me for a long time. I was really hoping it would be fixed in the release version, but no such luck.

Let me guess - you have one or more additional languages installed and you have a "language bar" docked towards the right part of the taskbar, right?

If you "restore" the language bar and leave it positioned somewhere else on the screen, I think you'll find the problem goes away. I've positioned my language bar in the upper-right corner of the desktop and set it to "transparent" mode, which seems to be the least obtrusive thing I can do with it.

TheOctagon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Hi - Thanks for the reply. No I unfortunately do not use the language bar, so I do not have it enabled. Its good to know that I'm not alone in my irritation though! LOL! If you hear of any fix please pass it on as will I!

Thanks,
TheOctagon

TheOctagon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Actually I am using the voice recognition. That bar does not have any problems though. I also do not dock it to the task bar. Losing my toolbars I created happens about 3 or 5 times in 10 logins.

If you can afford to do so you might try turning off voice recognition to see if that helps. If it does, then you'll be forced to choose between them.

But one thing I'm not sure of is whether or not turning voice recognition off and then back on again will retain all of the training information...

Other than that, I don't know what to suggest...

TheOctagon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi Sminlal,

Well I use the VR quite a bit, however I do not leave it running all the time. Unfortunately that invalidates that avenue of investigation. As many times as I've had it turned off and on during a given session, there hasn't been any correlation to any of that. The only thing that makes sense to me is that for some reason when you shutdown and windows writes out the user prefs to the ntuser files, for some unknown reason, the file either isn't being written to during that time OR the file gets restored from a default file due to either corruption or displacement upon boot up. Unfortunately I have no way to test either of those scenario's. If you hear of any methods or anything along these lines please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
TheOctagon