Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting to a Local TCP/IP Network on Windows 7

Last response: in Networking
March 5, 2012 2:55:19 PM

We've had an old netbeui network set up for a while now but recently switched over to TCP/IP so my computer (running Windows 7 x64) could connect. The other computers on the network are running Windows 2000 and XP.

All the older computers are working, but I still can't get mine to connect. It shows up as "Unidentified Network: Public Network"

I really don't know where to go from here. I don't know if it should just pop up automatically or if I am supposed to configure it somehow.

Here's a screenshot of what we've got going on:

Best solution

a c 229 $ Windows 7
March 5, 2012 4:31:07 PM

On an XP computer, right-click "my computer" and click on properties. Select the "computer name" tab and note the workgroup name. On your windows 7 computer change your workgroup to match the name you noted on the XP computer.

Also, on the right most image you sent, highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IPv4), then click on properties. Make sure "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS automatically" are selected.
March 5, 2012 5:44:29 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
On an XP computer, right-click "my computer" and click on properties. Select the "computer name" tab and note the workgroup name. On your windows 7 computer change your workgroup to match the name you noted on the XP computer.

Also, on the right most image you sent, highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IPv4), then click on properties. Make sure "obtain an IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS automatically" are selected.

Awesome. I appreciate the response, but now I've run into another small problem.

I'm connected and can see/access the other computers, but when they click on mine, there aren't any folders. How do I go about enabling sharing through my computer? It seems like it'd be simple enough, but I can't seem to find it with Google.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2012 11:57:11 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I believe there are two methods in windows 7. There is the homegroup (windows 7 machines only) which I don't think is what you want, and file & printer sharing which I think you do want.

I have links to both. The second one is for vista, but I think it's the same in 7.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/File-sharin...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Enable...

hmm. I'm at home now, but I'll make sure to look at this when I get back to the office. Looks promising. Thanks.
m
l
March 8, 2012 12:15:50 PM

Best answer selected by flossbandit.
m
l
!