Is the Geoforce Titan GF110 really that strong?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
People have been talking about the announcement of this card:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-reportedly-preparing-geforce-titan-gpu-gk110/#ixzz2IdDFvoqu

Has anyone noticed that this isn't any stronger than it should be?

2012's strongest GPU was the HD 7970 GHz (Don't argue, it currently is). 2011's was the GTX 580.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/19-Tom-s-Hardware-Index-C-Extreme,2977.html

^ You can see that the current leader is 33-44% stronger than the previous one. It is currently 60-65% the strength of a 690. Another 30% increase just makes sense. This isn't special, it should just be called a GTX 780.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

billybob_73

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Totally agree, the HD 7970 is 95% to 105% of the GTX 590 performance (The previous gens fastest dual card) and the trend continues.. The fastest card from the new gen competes with the previous gens fastest Dual card. This is no different except that Nvidia nerfed the compute performance of the 6XX series desktop cards.. The Titan is a way of selling a full Kepler card for a ridiculous amount of money and yet again fleece from the customers.. Really the Titan offers performance that we should expect and should be priced aroun $499.. I would expect the 7XX series to be more compute stripped gaming cards basically mid range parts clocked very high and priced as high end.. AMD will get my money again on the next round. The HD 8970 will be a more balanced card and like with the current best card the 7970 will be the better choice over the competition..

We have not yet seen the GPUs, so no conclusions can be made yet.

If we compare this http://www.techoftomorrow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Screen-Shot-2012-12-06-at-3.36.30-PM.png

With this http://www.techpowerup.com/179090/NVIDIA-to-Name-GK110-based-Consumer-Graphics-Card-quot-GeForce-Titan-quot-.html

Then it seems as if the next high-end GPU by Nvidia will rule, Nvidia always seem to clock their GPUs higher than AMD, it offers more CUDA CORES than AMD offers Stream processors, the same 384 bit. I think it will be very close, again we can't make any conclusions, we can only make assumptions.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

This is what I have been thinking. This card will launch at $900 when it should cost $600. Then in two weeks the 8970 will come out for $550-$600 and offer 80%-100%+ of the Titan's performance (Like what happened when the 4870 disgraced the 260 and 280). People will get mad even though Nvidia always pulls this sh!t.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I probably shouldn't feed the Troll, but just in case you are serious:

-You can't easily compare the specs of two radically differently designed cards.

-Who cares how many CUDA cores it has? The 640 has the same amount of cores as the 560 Ti and yet it can barely trade blows with an HD 6670 lol. In fact the 660 Ti is only around 10% stronger than a 580 and yet it has more than double the cores, 40% faster clock speeds, and only half the bandwidth. The fact is nvidia's architecture has just changed drastically.

guinner16

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
What is this article turns out to be true and the Titan is more powerful than a 690. If that were the case I will be putting one of these in my new build come April. I would gladly pay a premium to get high end SLI/dual GPA performance from a single card. Again this is all rumor so far but it may change peoples minds if the card is more powerful than they are assuming.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-titan-performance-exposed-crushes-gpu-3dmark-11/

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Nvidia themselves say it is 85%. But again my 7970 scores higher than 590's in benchmarks...

guinner16

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
From what I have seen NVIDIA hasn't officially said anything yet. If this card does in fact perform close to, equal to, or better than a 690, then I will shell out the $899. I prefer the higher VRAM, and one card solution, and have no problem paying a little extra for it. If it ends up being a buffed 680, then I might have to rethink about 670/680 sli, or an AMD option. The only thing that worries me about AMD is the microstutter issue in crossfire.

It's the only thing we can compare on right now. Those other GPUs are irrelevant for this topic.

NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 3DMark score
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_geforce_titan_780_3dmark_score.html
index.php

index.php

guinner16

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
As awesome as that sounds, doesn't anyone find it just a little hard to believe. There are also rumors that it will be a limited production card. If that is the case it may even prove impossible to get one. Who know's at this point. If the rumors are true we should know more in the next week or two since the card is "supposedly" shipping to suppliers in the last week of february. Like many people have been saying, those numbers just dont add up for a single GPU card.

If I had to guess right now the Late Feb, 85% performance of a 690, single GPU, 6GM of VRAM are the only rumors that may come true. This will be the single GPU answer to the 690, with more VRAM, at a cost of $100 less and 15% less performance. Basically you are paying a premium over a 680 for more vram and close to 690 performance without the issues that come with dual GPU's.

guinner16

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
For the fun of it, lets assume this test is real, and for the sake of it lets say the Titan and 690 are exactly equal. Why would nvidia have a newer card more powerful card (or equal to) at the same price as their older card. The only way they could make this work is if they did a price drop on their cards. Maybe it could be the titan at $900, 690 = $699, 680 dropped to the high $300 to low $400, 670 drops to the high $200 to low $300. Then they would release the 7 series at the normal prices where the 680 would be around $500$600 depending on model, 670 $400+ depending on model. Now this just leaves out the successor to the 690. My guess is the so called 790 would then surpass the titan in performance, dual GPU, 4 GB each of VRAM, and get right back to that $999 pricing. IMO, if the Titan rumor is true, this is the only way NVIDIA would release this series when taking profits into consideration. the other option, which I think is more likely, is the "Titan" will be the orignally rumored 85% of a 690 performance. My guess is the benchmark scores ar 6XX in sli.

guinner16

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Let me ask this...lets assum it is a single gpu card at 85% of a 690, but has some room to overclock it to near 690 performance. I am building my first rig ever, with 2560x1440p resolution. wouldn't i be better off with a card like this than a sli or dual gpu configuration. I would essentially get getting nearly the same performance without the sli issues.

You're not the only one, sir! I don't either expect the difference being that big in terms of performance, power consumption and software, so my wallet will remain closed too.

It's going to be amusing to see how many people go rabid over the 7xx series though (no that wasn't directed at you BM) as I'm sure some of team greens finest will go on a crusade at some point or another, just as team reds chappies are likely to when the 8xxx series hits the shelves.

I'm of the same mind sight as well. Normally cards take some time to mature driver wise anyway. And mouse you know people blindly shop for items people who are die hard apple guys are guilty of this.

Yeah I know there are people out there like that and I often wonder how many of them can't walk past a window without licking it! :lol: