beezer24

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
What is the difference in the number of devices on an RDRAM chip?? My system currently has (2) 4-device 128 Samsung RDRAMs. I would like to bump it to (4) 128 or (2) 256... what would be the performance differences?? How about 4-device vs. 8 device 128 and 8-device vs. 16-device 256??

Thanks,

Brandon

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
You are better off using less devices. Since RDRAM is series, the more devices you ad the longer the pathway. The longer the pathway, the longer the amount of time it will take to complete one trip through the circit.

When talking about one 2 RIMMs instead of 4 RIMMs it will have a smaller pathway even though the matrix size id the same. The reason is because it has to go through the motherboard as well and not just through the memory modules.

<b>"Kenny! Give me the whoobie."

"You don't feed a baby chile!" - Mr. Mom</b> :lol:

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
so what your saying is less devices is better? i was under the impression that the more devices the better, although i'm not sure why that is so. shed some light on my ignorant(about RDR) soul.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
For RDRAM latency purposes, less devices is better. It can be more difficult to overclock the higher density RIMMs (single-sided), though, as the individual modules (chips) tend to run hotter.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Higher density (fewer devices/chips) only increases performance by 2-5%, and lower density overclocks better.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!