Sign in with
Your question

A few Quick Questions about DDR ram

Last response: in Memory
March 9, 2002 8:52:57 PM

Ok, My Soyo Dragon + has 3 Slots, and can handle 3 GB of memory.
I am going to buy Crucial Memory Pc2100 DDR.. i read some where that they chips have to be put in by Pairs.. i am planing on Buying 2 512mb chips and when i need more i will use the last slot for a 1 GB chip when they are available....will this work!!

later, Rob

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!
March 9, 2002 9:19:30 PM

Yes it will work when the 1 GB sticks are available. Just don't mix manufacturer. The circutry between mixed manufacturers could give you undesirable results. I hope you aren't running Win 9x/Me (512 MB limitation). W2k & XP can handle up to 3 GB of DRAM I think.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>
March 10, 2002 1:45:35 PM

Yes, good point...i do have Windows XP Professional.... Ok so it will work if i stick with Crucial all the way
When will the 1 GB chips Be available
Another Quick question... i have the Soyo Dragon + and i think it says PC2100 DDR ram... if i plan on over clocking do i have to get like PC2400 or something like that

Thanks.. Rob

Related resources
March 10, 2002 2:27:01 PM

Increasing the frequency of DRAM provides you with the needed bandwidth. So, if you are planning on overclocking get the broadest bandwidth and best quality DDR you can afford. PC2700/DDR333 DDR is currently the memory of choice for those in the DDR arena. Premium DDR isn't cheap, so I prefer Cosair memory. Corsair does have a 1G stick, but in PC2100 only. I'm not sure where to find 1G sticks of PC2700, see the links for more info.

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/r_twinmos_pc27..." target="_new">DDR2700</A>
<A HREF="http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products.htm" target="_new">Cosair Memory</A>

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>
March 10, 2002 2:44:13 PM

well, im probley not going to overclock. AMD Xp 2000+ im sure will run much better then the Garbage im running now... i have an Emachines 533mhz Celeron procesor with 15 GB HD and 128 Mb, onboard sound and Video (hahah) 8x cd-r, 17" nec monitor

my new system is going to be Xp2000+, Soyo Dragon +, 80gb Maxtor HD, three 512mb Chips of Ram, GeForce 4 ti4600, VG181 LCD monitor, TDK 32X Cd-RW,
I think this new guy should blow my crap out of the water

The only thing i haven't decided on was the CPU Cooler, alot of people say choose the Alpha 8045... but i haven't seen reviews on it be used to cool anything that high

!