Nonces

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey, I bought a 500 watt PSU, and the graphics card has a minimum requirement on 400watt, will that work with all the other components requiring power too?

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 650 (2gb)

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Elite 7300 Series MT
BIOS: Ver: CHG_712.rom vCHG7.12
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4076MB RAM
Page File: 2333MB used, 5817MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
-----------------------------
Thank You.

What is the brand and model of the "500W" PSU? If it's a good one, then it is easily sufficient. If it's an Apevia, Logisys, Diablotek, or other junk, it will be good for maybe 300W, and that possibly not cleanly enough to safely power a PC.

The PSU requirements for a graphics card assume a normal complement of cpu and peripherals.
Your 500w psu should be no problem if it is of decent quality.
A cheap psu will not deliver it's advertised power. A $30 psu may not deliver even 30a on the +12v leads where it is needed.
A $100 unit will deliver more than 40a.
For your reference here is a list of psu's sorted by quality tiers:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Add up the amps on the 12v rails. multiply by 12 you get 432 watts. That's what you should look at when shopping for a power supply. Its on the low end but should work well enough. Check out PSU's by Antec or Corsair and see how their wattage is calculated and then compare prices to Coolermaster. Shopping by price alone is not a good idea when looking for a new PSU

One can not simply add up the +12v amps from a psu with two or more rails.
That is the max that each rail can deliver, but the total will often be somewhat less.
A modern psu will list the combined amperage for ALL the rails, and that is the metric you should look for.

Oooh, a CM. Well, it's not their worst. It is sufficient for your build.
Geofelt is correct, especially about adding up wattage / amperage on multiple rails.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Add up the amps on the 12v rails. multiply by 12 you get 432 watts. That's what you should look at when shopping for a power supply. Its on the low end but should work well enough. Check out PSU's by Antec or Corsair and see how their wattage is calculated and then compare prices to Coolermaster. Shopping by price alone is not a good idea when looking for a new PSU

So you are saying "P (power) = I (current) * V (voltage)" ... my D in electrical engineering finally paid off ... 25 years later ! Thanks ! :) That brought a smile to my face !!!