A few questions about the 6010 & ringtones

Last response: in Brands
August 14, 2005 2:26:04 AM

I have a Nokia 6010 which is actually more phone than I need,
but I would like load a few custom ringtones to it. I've
found all sorts of web sites dedicated to sending thier
ringtones, but I'm looking for how to do it myself and not be
dependent on a site's wide but still limited selection. Even
reading the manual and what informattion I can find on the
web (seems to be all ads and precious little useful
information) I've also asked on alt.cellular.nokia.ringtones
and have gotten no replies or followups after a couple days.
I am left wondering a few things:

* What format(s) do I need to use, or convert to?

* It seems the 6010 can handle midi, but can I use any midi,
or is some down-conversion needed to deal with limitations
of the phone?

* I don't have web access on my plan, so is there another way
to get the music from my computer to the phone? (I'm on
Cingular, if that makes any difference.)

* Do I need a cable? If so, which one?

* If I can use a USB cable, will the phone appear as a drive
(like a USB Flash drive does) or is special software needed?

* If such software is needed, is there any available for linux?

Thanks. If there's a FAQ or such that covers all or even most of
this, I admit to having completely missed it and would appreciate
being pointed to it.

--
Paul Neubauer
Ned Flat: "Why are you acting like this?"

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:26:04 GMT, Paul Neubauer
<vakko@thebrain.conmicro.cx> wrote:

>I have a Nokia 6010 which is actually more phone than I need,
>but I would like load a few custom ringtones to it. I've
>found all sorts of web sites dedicated to sending thier
>ringtones, but I'm looking for how to do it myself and not be
>dependent on a site's wide but still limited selection. Even
>reading the manual and what informattion I can find on the
>web (seems to be all ads and precious little useful
>information) I've also asked on alt.cellular.nokia.ringtones
>and have gotten no replies or followups after a couple days.
>I am left wondering a few things:
>
>* What format(s) do I need to use, or convert to?
>
>* It seems the 6010 can handle midi, but can I use any midi,
> or is some down-conversion needed to deal with limitations
> of the phone?

The phone can handle .mid (midi) but you need to make sure that you
don't load something that has more voices than your phone can handle.

You need to go to http://www.logomanager.co.uk and look for MobiMB and
PolyPhonix (or get the combo deal for both.) You'll need a data cable
to transfer stuff between your PC and the 6010. I believe both are
shareware meaning that you can try them out to see if they fit your
needs. Go to google and you'll find software for you to make your own
polyphonic ring tones.

>* I don't have web access on my plan, so is there another way
> to get the music from my computer to the phone? (I'm on
> Cingular, if that makes any difference.)

If you don't have web access you'll have to use a data cable.

>* Do I need a cable? If so, which one?
>
>* If I can use a USB cable, will the phone appear as a drive
> (like a USB Flash drive does) or is special software needed?
>
>* If such software is needed, is there any available for linux?

I believe most everything's for windows.
- -
!