Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • Power
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2013 4:19:23 PM

Hey i am just wondering if you can help me.... I bought a Club 3D RoyalKing 7870 and it didnt come with either a crossfire bridge or a 2 molex to 6 pin adapter and i have plugged it in and it wont be recognized by windows and the fan isnt spinning either....

what can i do to power it on my nearby pc shop said my 300w psu is good enough to run it because the rest of my system uses next to nothing power wise as its low spec...

Please helpp i really wanna play crysis 3 Beta PLLLLLLLLLLLZZZ

Cheers

More about : helpppp psu dosent pin 7870 wont power

a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 4:24:34 PM

Quote:
500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

That's what AMD recommends. I doubt your 300w will handle that, especially if you don't have any 6 pins, you are probably only dealing with 1 12v rail for the entire system. You could try a molex to 6 pin, but considering your PSU doesn't have, it's either old, or probably cheap and it may run, it may catch fire.

$10 for adapters that may kill your PSU, and possibly motherboard, chip, ram, in the process OR $50 for a good power supply that would power your card properly.
January 30, 2013 4:27:58 PM

its a good psu very durable the guy in the pc shop said he had it at one point (where i bought it from 2 years ago)
Anyways is there a way i can power it off the pci slot?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 4:36:08 PM

What PSU is it? No, you can power it off the PCI slot. If it could power off the slot, they wouldn't need you to add extra power from 6pin connectors. The 7750 doesn't need much power or extra connectors.
January 30, 2013 4:51:33 PM

its a zoostorm psu (i think they are owned by dell) so basically a dell gpu idk though it has 2 12v rails i may get a new on tomorrow from a pc shop the guy usually give me a good deal haha but dunno yet
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 4:57:17 PM

Moral of the story, you are gonna need a new DECENTLY made PSU.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 5:01:53 PM

TheAterix said:
its a zoostorm psu (i think they are owned by dell) so basically a dell gpu idk though it has 2 12v rails i may get a new on tomorrow from a pc shop the guy usually give me a good deal haha but dunno yet

Hope it's not the same guy who told you zoostorm was a good brand or that a 3 year old 300w PSU would work with a 7850 no problem, because that guy doesn't seem to know much about gaming pc's and such.

a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 5:13:42 PM

lol, time to find a new computer guy, yours doesnt seem to know what he's talking about. and these brands you are using, i have never heard of either of them.
January 30, 2013 5:14:57 PM

this whole post is very sad to me.

"zoostorm" sounds like something you buy at a dollar store in Australia .
January 30, 2013 5:37:52 PM

he said " it should power it but wont be able to handle heavy loads so i need a upgrade" but all i want for tonight is for it to power on
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 5:47:48 PM

be ready for that power supply to pop once it does hit any kind of load. and when it does, it will most likely take out some components with it.
January 30, 2013 5:49:58 PM

TheAterix said:
he said " it should power it but wont be able to handle heavy loads so i need a upgrade" but all i want for tonight is for it to power on

Well Tough luck... You didn't read up the requirements of a gaming PC.
Go out buy a new PSU/Order online.

Sorry dude you are out of a PC for how long.
(I was out of a PC for 2 weeks while I tried to find time to diagnose the problem it was having).

ANTEC, Seasonic, Zalman, These are good brands.
January 30, 2013 5:54:03 PM

BTW You need at least 500W, 750W for if you want to make sure your PSU runs cool/ability to upgrade in the future.
January 30, 2013 5:55:06 PM

TheAterix said:

When lower quality PSUs encounter a load they can't handle, they tend to do things like explode & start fires, or send a voltage spike down the lines and fry motherboards and other components.

So I would be cautious of trying it out.

Antec was running a rebate deal on a 620 watt here in the US but I'm not sure about the UK (I'm assuming you'er UK because AFAIK Club3D is a UK brand)
January 30, 2013 6:08:59 PM

holy crap thats not good i think ill just wait!
a c 199 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 6:20:14 PM

^Sensible chap;).
And you could tell us where you live, that way we can guide you towards a decent replacement powersupply.
January 30, 2013 7:09:18 PM

i live in the uk, england and ill get one from the computer shop (the computer guy) btw i dont usually listen to him i just ask him tips and ill get a 650-700w one and ill make sure its decent like a known brand like corsair btw have you guys heard of CIC? i think its that my dad has a CIC psu and it does well for him
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 7:18:11 PM

Never heard of CIT. Just get a well known brand like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc... They all make really good PSU.

And I wouldn't trust that "Computer Guy" anymore... If he was a good tech he would have asked you about the PSU before selling you the card and he should have known that a 6-pin power connector was required. Connecting a high-end card like 7870 to an underpowered 300-Watt PSU is not a good idea... I don't know why he told you that would do it...

By the way, what CPU do you have? Another question the guy should have asked you, because there's no point in spending money on a 7870 if your CPU is going to bottleneck it. Can you give us the rest of your specs please?
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 7:24:11 PM

Sales people for the most part will tell you anything to get you to buy. Although if he was smart he would have said the PSU would not work and then offer you a decent PSU to go with the GPU... Either way he does not sound like a guy I would trust (hes either a scumbag, uninformed, or both).
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 7:56:30 PM

just my personal experience, but i've had some bad luck with corsair power supplies recently. i would reccommend something from antec or seasonic
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 7:57:33 PM

Well, I hate to break it to you but a lot of what Corsair makes is Seasonic based. There is a tier list that newegg has placed out which should help you kind of decide a brand/series that is good for you.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
a c 270 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 8:18:32 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well, I hate to break it to you but a lot of what Corsair makes is Seasonic based. There is a tier list that newegg has placed out which should help you kind of decide a brand/series that is good for you.

Actually Seasonic only makes 3 current Corsair power supplies.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

OP an HD 7870 needs a recommended 500w power supply. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, and Antec are all good brands.

The tier list posted above is a very good general guide. Stay with tier 3 and up for a non overclocked system and tier 2 and up for anything you plan on overclocking.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 8:22:07 PM

bigshootr8 said:

i understand seasonic makes alot of psu's for different vendors. unfortunately the corsair units ive been coming across havent been doing well, thats why i brought it up.
January 30, 2013 8:43:03 PM

He baited you to buy a 7870 so you will be forced to buy a new PSU from him, or fry your entire system so you will buy a whole PC from him. Any sensible "computer guy" should know generic crap 300w will not power a 7870.
a c 270 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 8:49:05 PM

bigshootr8 said:
They still make a good amount of corsair power supplies. And a bit more then 3
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/bigshootr8/1-30-20132-33-59PM.png
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-ma...

That list includes discontinued models no longer produced. The RealhardtechX site is much more up to date. They pretty much do daily updates. Even when new lines are announced but not released yet they have them listed.
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 8:53:39 PM

I would think that would be the case as well kind of the same deal when you take your car into the shop when they "find" something else to fix or not to.
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 9:02:21 PM

anort3 said:
That list includes discontinued models no longer produced. The RealhardtechX site is much more up to date. They pretty much do daily updates. Even when new lines are announced but not released yet they have them listed.

still I would implore you to find less then 5 of those power supplies for purchase. because it doesn't matter whether or not they make it or not anymore but whether or not you can purchase it.
a c 119 U Graphics card
January 30, 2013 9:11:42 PM

I honestly would not have gonna past a 7750 or 7770 with a older low wattage power supply(and that is pushing it for some users configs).

I mean I have a 300 watt power supply running a GTX 650ti(with an i5 750, very basic setup and every watt is counted), but at least the power supply I have has a 6 pin PCI-E plug :) 
January 31, 2013 2:32:40 AM

Hope it's not the same guy who told you zoostorm was a good brand or that a 3 year old 300w PSU would work with a 7850 no problem, because that guy doesn't seem to know much about gaming pc's and such.

^ +1 Exactly. lol
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 5:52:54 AM

i wouldn't recommend thermaltake.
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:10:19 AM

bishopi5 said:
why is no one recommending Thermaltake PSU's? They not available in UK? Or just slipping your minds? or too dear?

Would you go to school/work naked? :whistle: 
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:41:44 AM

People don't recommend thermaltake because they haven't been in the quality power supply picture for a little while now. They had amazing cases back in the day with there thermaltake armor cases but now idk just a big disconnect with them. Kind of the same thing happened with zalman.
January 31, 2013 6:50:52 AM

That card isnt running on a 300w. Not now not ever.

And if youre using molex to pci in 2013 I think its time...
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:52:22 AM

No I agree typically you should get power supplies with the connections you need because if they don't normally that means the power supply wasn't built with the intention of supporting your device in most cases.
a c 199 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 5:15:04 PM

@ TheAterix: Any decent 500 Watt powersupply will have plenty of power for your system, after all its been running off a 'value engineered' 300W unit for some time;).
As has been said: Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, Antec, XFX and Silverstone are amongst the cream, although they're not all avilable here in good old Blighty.
I'd very strongly suggest you shop online and use a credit card to pay with, that way you have the maximum protection and should pay the lowest price.
A few places to look: Overclockers, Dabs, Ebuyer, Misco, Novatech, Aria, CCL and Scan.

How's this grab you?:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-silverstone-sst-st5...!
a c 119 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 5:42:06 PM

Derza10 said:
Sales people for the most part will tell you anything to get you to buy what they have in stock. Although if he was smart he would have said the PSU would not work and then offer you a decent PSU to go with the GPU... Either way he does not sound like a guy I would trust (hes either a scumbag, uninformed, or both).

True - just add ^
January 31, 2013 6:15:57 PM

well i went back today and bought a psu 550w xenta i think and came home and its broke my dad rang him and he said he give us the wrong one xD and he will give us a full refund and a free replacement so its decent. Btw im not sure who xenta are so if anyone can do some research it would be good

cheers
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:19:40 PM

There were about 15 posts above recommending decent/good makers, Xenta was not included lol.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:26:45 PM

Yup that PSU sucks... it is rated at 550w PEAK output not continuous... So expect a good bit lower than that for continuous. No where could i find the specs for the 12v rails or anything detailed about the psu at all. Bad PSU, why do you ask for help and ignore all the advice?
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:33:03 PM

Derza10 said:
why do you ask for help and ignore all the advice?

Because he trusts "his guy"
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:33:24 PM

LoL yeah he posted another thread about the Xenta today too... I told him we already gave him the answers there too.
a c 119 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 6:44:15 PM

chugot9218 said:
LoL yeah he posted another thread about the Xenta today too... I told him we already gave him the answers there too.

Guess he's gonna have to learn the hard & expensive way
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 7:57:26 PM

Yup if we end up smelling that burnt wire smell we know where the smell is coming from (his power supply)
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:07:21 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Yup if we end up smelling that burnt wire smell we know where the smell is coming from (his power supply)

Lol you know a joke is bad when you have to insert what you are trying to imply with the joke... Maybe next time just refrain from posting :)  Just a tip.
a c 135 U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:23:18 PM

And telling someone that there components sucks is very constructive mr derza.

Derza10 said:
Yup that PSU sucks... it is rated at 550w PEAK output not continuous... So expect a good bit lower than that for continuous. No where could i find the specs for the 12v rails or anything detailed about the psu at all. Bad PSU, why do you ask for help and ignore all the advice?
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2013 8:32:52 PM

bigshootr8 said:
And telling someone that there components sucks is very constructive mr derza.

It is... If no one tells him it sucks and he shouldn't use it he could fry his computer. Me personally I would want someone to tell me my PSU sucked before I hooked up hardware that it couldn't handle.

I wasn't trying to be mean... It was just funny that you added (his power supply) in your post... I took it as you where implying your joke was so unclear you had to explain it. Either that or you just assume we are all idiots and needed the explanation.

Edit: oh yea i found out that the "550w" psu only has 27 Amps on the 12v rail... meaning it can only output ~320w. They rated the 550w based off peak amount not continuous. So your 550w psu is really a 320w ish psu, or in other words "It sucks".
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!