Does spdif for Fortissimo 2 soundcard blink

erwin1978

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
I just got the Hercules Fortissimo 2 soundcard but I don't have appropriate speakers to test the optical spidf feature. I want to know that it is working before my store warranty runs out; is the optical out supposed to emit visible light. So far I don't see any light coming out no matter what settings I enable.

XMAN

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you can't find speakers to test it on, there's no way to know.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

DISTURBED

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
On my computer,
with the 1.02 drivers the optical output lights up as soon as a song (MP3) was played.
With the 1.50 drivers, it lights up as soon as Windows fully loads. (I'm using WinME)

erwin1978

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Well, thanks to another forum I frequent, I was advised to remove those black things on the back of the card. I'm filled with joy to finally see the red light. The manuals should've mentioned about removing these caps.

XMAN

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ah, I didn't think of that.

BTW, the reason I said you wouldn't know for sure without actually using speakers is because you might be missing a single speaker or something, and the light would still show. Usually a driver issue, but I figured I'd let you know.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!